MRI update

dibdab
dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
edited 3. Sep 2013, 06:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Thanks to all who shared their MRI insights with me recently. I had the results back from the GP yesterday, and it's mostly good news, I think!

Happily the horrible shoulder pain isn't a torn rotator cuff but "joint erosion consistent with RA"! I apparently also have capsulitis-whatever that is- I sometimes wish medics used plain English, the kind we understand without playing 20 questions in an attempt to find the question which ellicits an answer we understand.

So the GP gave me a steroid jab into the shoulder joint and told me not to use it for 48 hours at least- something of a challenge as it's my right shoulder and I'm right handed :cry: She also warned me that it will feel worse before it gets better-and she wasn't wrong! So now I'm reduced to a one handed wreck struggling along in frustration and hoping that things will improve before we go on holiday next weekend. :? But at least doing something is better than doing nothing-always try to be a glass half full kind of person, and maybe there's a glimmer of light at the end of this particular tunnel.

Hope that you are all having a reasonable weekend.

Deb x

Comments

• Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Well that's (relatively) good news Deb! I know you're struggling just now, but perhaps once the steroid has a chance to do it's thing you'll find it helps hugely! Fingers crossed! x
    Toots x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hope the injection will help Debs, like you I'm going on holiday in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping after seeing the Rhummey on Monday he will try me on something new that will help ease the pain of this flare up I'm still dealing with! I don't know whether to say glad you got good news but it's a little better that it's corrosion of a joint rather than serious damage! I understand what you mean when a consultant explains to you about what has been found, you feel like stopping them and saying 'can you explain it in normal English!!' Hope you have an enjoyable holiday! :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Docs letters are destined for other docs who will know what capsulitis means - I guess it's summat to do with the joint capsule but know no more than that. It is a step forward though, and I hope the steroid injection helps - you are quite right to be resting it and the 48 hours will pass, they always do.

So, another person is going off on their hols? I am rather envious - he cannot take the time off work at the moment so yet again no break for the DDs. No matter, I'm not in a fit state to make the most of anything anyway! :lol: Take it easy today and tomorow, in order to give the jollop its best chance to sink into and around the joint and fully get to work. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Hi Dibdab. Capsulitis is the 'fancy' medical name for Frozen Shoulder. I've been suffering with one (my left) for almost 2 years so can very much sympathise with you. The pain is horrendous isn't it. Once the 'frozen' stage goes - which can be anything from 6 months to a year apparently, the worst of the pain will ease. It then helps to have physio on it if you can. I have got most of the movement back in mine, but it is still very painful and have now been told that I most likely have OA in it (which apparently is quite usual after a frozen shoulder). You may find warmth helps -I found a heated wheatbag to be the best for me).

I do hope the pain eases for you soon.

Beryl. xx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hi Deb, hope you get some relief soon and you are well enough for your holiday...............tc..............Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Frustrating though it is, you will, I hope, reap the benefit in terms of a much better holiday. I don't speak 'doc' either. I think you have to train for six years :wink: but, as long as they're satisfied, so am I. Enjoy the hols, deb.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Debs
    I do hope the injection works for you, very painful shoulders are..has you know...Im glad the results were better than you thought..like you say glass half full...please let us know how you get on, I will be interested to see if the injection has worked xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dibdab
    Thank you for the good wishes. Two days in the arm is a little less painful, and though it's early days, and really frustrating resting it, I'm hopeful of getting relief, and oh so thankful for the skill of the medical staff I meet. When our son was a medical student he did placements in America where treatment must be paid for up front and I know that in those circumstances I wouldn't be able to afford all the medication I take now, and when he did some voluntary work in Zambia he told me all about the lack of medical facilities there and how many children are orphaned and alone in the world because disease is rampant. Sometimes in the middle of our own struggles it's salutary to stop and count the blessings I guess.

Hope you have all had a good weekend.

Deb x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    How right you are Deb

we should count our blessings.

My back 'went' finally in Florida it cost £2,000 which you pay upfront them claim from your insurance :shock:

I do hope the injection work really really well for you

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Here, Here Debbie! I watch these programmes about Obese people having hospital care and how much it costs and I turn to Mr Bubba and say 'can you imagine how much all my care would cost?' and he would say 'we would be broke and homeless dear!' So it does come crashing home that although our NHS can be sometimes annoying and we have to wait for treatment at least we don't have to pay for it!

Hey Debbie been on the Dibdab's lately? Got new box of 50 and working way through them!! :wink:
  • dibdab
    So now it's 4 days in and I have a question please- how long should it take for the steroid injection to work if it's going to? Yesterday I tried dropping the cocodamols slightly and the pain came roaring back so today I'm feeling fragile and fed up :?
    I had such high hopes that I'd be feeling better by now, but maybe I'm being over optimistic because previous general steroid shots have helped a lot.

Sorry to be a misery guts-just needed to express it and poor old hubby must be fed up of me moaning!

Hope that every one else is having an okay kind of day.

Deb x
  • bubbadog
    Hey Debs, don't feel like your being a misery! If you can't moan to us who else can you moan to! That's what we're all here for, to be moaning buddies!! Our OH's said those vows when they married us 'for better, for worse in sickness & in health' so they are there for us to moan at! If he's anything like mine, yesterday he had his wife's volume button turned down because he was tran-fixed on Sky Sports news watching the transfer news from 6pm-8pm then Eastenders (so no chat allowed! White's house rule !) then back to Sky Sports news from 8.30pm till 11pm!! So he doesn't even know what happened with me at the hospital yet! (bit miffed at that).
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Deb when I had a steroid injection into my knee, the doc told me it could take up to 2 weeks before I really knew if it was working. I know that sounds like an incredibly long time when you're suffering and unable to use your arm, but hang on in there. The pain is expected to be worse for a couple of days after too, according to my gp. x
    Toots x