Treatment Plan?

phoenixoxo
phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
edited 5. Sep 2013, 14:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

Hope you're all as well as you can be :)

Recently I completed a questionnaire for Ipsos Mori. One of their questions, following my 'Yes' to 'Do you have a chronic condition?', was, 'Do you have a written treatment plan?' My answer was 'No'.

Does anyone here have a written treatment plan? And if so, what's it like? Just curious :)

Best wishes,
Phee
PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've been thinking about this, Phee. I've never had one and, on the surface, it seems like a good idea but...... How much would it cost in man-hours and postage? Do I really need to have it in writing that I should continue as before?

I can see situations in which it might be very useful but, for the most part, I think it would just be another pointless layer of expensive paperwork.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Not sure if this is what was meant but when the AC course I attended last year reached its final session we were all given a 13 page 'Personal Health Plan' document, courtesy of the regional NHS. It afforded us much amusement, and not a little irritation, at the time and money that must have gone into such a useless wodge of paper. It is a mish-mash of the sort of patronising questions my mother was subjected to when she needed carers after her accidents, details of medical matters(including a tiny box for 'questions I want to ask my health professional at my next appointment'), and a sort of living will. It refers to a Key Worker - 'someone who can help navigate[sic] you through the healthcare system'..., and has frequently updated sections printed back to back with relatively stable information sections, such that it could never be a working document.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've never had a written treatment plan unless you count the letters which my rheumatologist occasionally sends to my GP stating what everyone already knows.

It seems to me that there is an increasing obsession with pointless activities which are undertaken purely to generate extra work for all concerned. League tables get my goat - do we need league tables of everything? Have you ever consulted a league table about anything? How long before things like local petrol stations or pelican crossings are put into some kind of table reflecting their efficiency or amount of use? :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    How long before things like local petrol stations or pelican crossings are put into some kind of table reflecting their efficiency or amount of use? :wink: DD

I think you may find that this has already happened! :roll:
    Toots x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I've still got the original treatment plan from when I was 1st diagnosed with Osteoporosis! It was done when I was in hospital, it's around 5-6 pages long and goes through the diagnosis and meds I've been put on then a section by the Physiotherapist explaining what they want to do then to a section from the Occupational Therapist with what care and adaptations are required before I could go home. Then there is a section from my Social Worker explaining what he had explained to me about what my future may hold and if he felt I needed a carer at that time and my mental state during his interview with me and what he had explained to my OH. It was very long winded but also very helpful. My G.P is very good and always photocopies letters she has sent and letters she has received from consultants so I have a record if I need it.
  • phoenixoxo
    Hi people,

Many thanks for your responses :D

stickywicket, a 'No' from you too! Although I've never had a treatment plan either, I've noticed that my rheum nurse has started to use the expression 'The Treatment Plan' in recent months, though there's no sign of anything in writing. I'd be concerned about costs too. Postage wouldn't be a problem if patients were handed their plans during appointments, but preparation might be a different matter. And for patients who feel confident in the status quo, it wouldn't seem necessary, naturally :)

daffy2, another 'No' here. This is interesting – perhaps plan availability depends upon region? Your description of this document reminds me of forms that nurses have completed on my entry into hospital (once in 2006, once in 2011), and more so of forms that were filled in about my Grandad after his accidents during 2011 and 2012 (he died last Christmas). It does sound a bit 'mish-mash', even experimental, so hopefully your laughter served as useful feedback for the persons responsible for it! :)

DD, this would be a firm 'No', perchance? I'm not inclined to count letters, especially as my GP never seems to read them! :lol:

Toots, good answer :lol:

bubbadog, thanks for the first 'Yes' here! Your description pretty much matches the picture in my head. Diagnosis, meds, input from all parties involved in your care. If you don't mind me asking, has your plan been kept up to date over the years? :?:

Thinking back, I received a sort of plan on leaving hospital in 2011, but this was for the benefit of the rehabilitation ladies who called in daily for about a month to ensure I was managing to get up in the morning, use the bathroom, make breakfast, and do my physio in the afternoon. Once I'd returned to independent living, there was no need to record things any more.

Thanks again,
    Phee

*distributes dark chocolate truffles*
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Phee, The answer to that is 'No'! due to my constent changing of Consultants, my Occupational therapy team are the same, they are always helpful. I don't have a Social Worker anymore because I'm an adult now (40yrs old) So non of the original team who where involved in the care report are dealing with me. It's handy to keep the report to use as a bench mark when filing in Benefit forms proofing that I'm not a fraud and 'if this was how bad I was then, then you should realise how bad I am now!' If you ever need any more assistance in anything you know where I am! :) I hope you get through the ATOS, I'm waiting for my answer still. *Biting nails down to the bone!*

Thanks for the truffle, I love them!! :wink:
  • phoenixoxo
    Hi bubbadog,

Thanks so much for answering my question :)

I suppose it isn't surprising that your original plan hasn't been kept up to date. I've changed consultants too. Just as an example, the first chap was keen for patients to keep records of blood-test results while on DMARDs and the rheum nurse gave me a square lilac exercise book for this purpose. However, the rheum who took over once this chap had retired seemed quite firmly against the idea of patients keeping records! It's a funny old business.

That's a good idea, though, keeping your plan for future reference. I haven't had any communication with ATOS, though I know many folks who have had a lot of difficulties here. I hope your answer comes before you've lost all your fingers. Maybe eat another truffle instead? :lol:

Best wishes,
    Phee
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Just for the record, Phee, I've always had a little meth book in which my GP records all the blood results. I have to enclose it with my repeat prescrips for meth every time.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • phoenixoxo
    Thanks, sticky :)

That sounds like a sensible approach. I have to contact my surgery's 'Blood Line' for results, and no specifics are provided other than notes made by my GP. That's okay, I suppose, except he's prone to afterthoughts and occasionally contacts me by phone after hours in a bit of a panic. Then the rheum weighs in, to say there's no need to panic. Well, as I posted earlier, it's a funny old business!

Best wishes,
    Phee
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Phee
    I have heard of this before, when we had to fill in the form saying what you think of the treatment you get off your GP..rating then I suppose..I am sure this was one of the questions..it would make sense to have a plan :) dont think my GP has ever heard of it... :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • phoenixoxo
    Hi barbara,

Yes, the main questions here were about my GP, but clicking 'Yes' in the chronic illness box led me to the question of the treatment plan. I hadn't considered my GP's role in all this, as it's been my rheum nurse who's used the expression. I doubt he's heard of it either, to be honest. At this rate, I might as well make one myself! :lol:

Hope you've had a good day :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
  • Sezeelson
    Sezeelson Member Posts: 133
    I don't!

I did when I was a child with written instruction of exercise (when and how often) and my medicine (when and how often) and all the blood tests I would need.

It also detailed the hydrotherapy and physiotherapy I had to have on a weekly basis and how often my check ups would be.

I do need to see the occupational therapist again though so I may or may not get a treatment plan again. Thankfully the kids are back school so I can get back to swimming :)
  • phoenixoxo
    Hi Sezeelson,

Thanks for the info :)

I've had various written exercises too, but never the sense of a coherent structure overall. As far as meds go, I list everything on my factsheet, but somewhere along the line blood-test result recording has lost its way. And as for OT, the last visit proved a bit of an endurance test. A lot of assumptions were made and it was difficult not to launch a crutch attack! :lol: :?

Anyways... enjoy your swimming :)

Best wishes,
    Phee