building upto a therapeutic dose of methotrexate

polly123
polly123 Member Posts: 96
Hi,
I wonder if you can share some advice please?
I have PsA and OA, and began methotrexate in January this year. It made a huge difference, and at my last rheumy appointment he raised it from 15mg/day to 20 day, incrementally - as I still have inflammation in my hands and knees particularly.
My question is - does it take as long for a raise in dose to act as it does for it to work initially? I still have burning in my hands, fingers and knees, and am wondering how long to leave it before going back and saying this?
I went to my GP but he didn't really understand and just offered painkillers - what I really want to know, I guess, is how well can I expect to be? and should I be worried about have some signs of inflammation still?
Cannot decide whether to speak to rheumy nurse just now - to be honest she's been less than helpful in the past and is a faff to get hold of.
Thanks, Polly

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Polly
    I'm on methotrexate but the injectable one
    It can take up to 3 months to kick in so persevere even if you think its not working
    Oops just remembered I need to go inject mine
    Best of luck
    Maria :)
  • polly123
    Thanks Maria,

That's helpful to know - I know that went I started taking meth it took a while to act, so it seems probable that in increase would take time to work also - didn't want to leave it too long to go back, but no point in going back if it's too soon, if you know what I mean. My rheumy hospital is a 150 mile round trip - so careful thought needed!
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Wow Polly
    That's a long long trip I thought mine was bad at 45 miles round trip
    Is that the nearest one or the best one to go to ? X
    Maria :)
  • polly123
    Hi,
    yes it is the only one in the nearest city, which is 80 miles away. We have outreach service here.
    Polly
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Polly

Thank you for your posting on the forum and I apologise for the delay in replying. As we are not medically trained this is something you would need to speak to your rheumatology team about. I understand that it can be difficult to contact them if you have had an unhelpful response in the past.
    I am sorry to hear that you are still having burning in some of your joints.

The team should be able to help you with your question about how long the new dose should take before it takes effect. They can also look at discussing with you the fact that you are still in pain and how this can be managed.

The information below may be of use for your Psa:
    The Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis Alliance
    T: 0870 7703212
    E: info@papaa.org

Please give us a call on our freephone helpline if you would like to talk things through with one of our team.
    Here we can listen to you and that in itself sometimes can be of help when going through a stressful time. The number is 0808 800 4050 and we are open 10am – 4pm weekdays.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Best Wishes
    Lynda
  • polly123
    Thanks Lynda, I'll speak with my team.
    Polly