support group stoke on trent

judyc
judyc Member Posts: 26
Hello
Can you help?
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and ideally would like to join a support group in the Stoke on Trent area. The nearest one to me is in Stafford which is too far away. Also, it would have to be in the evening (because of work).

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear JudyC

Thank you for your posting on the forum and I apologise for the delay in replying. You could contact our Central England regional office and speak to them about whether any groups are planned to start in an area that you would find easier to get to. Their contact details are by phone on the numbers 0845 650 4400 (low cost rate) or 0207 380 6509/10. You can also email them on the address of CentralEngland@arthritiscare.org.uk. They are open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday.
    You could also contact the National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society (NRAS) who are an organisation that provide information and support for people with rheumatoid arthritis, their families, friends, carers and health professionals. They also have support groups throughout the country. You will find a list of their groups on the link http://www.nras.org.uk/help_for_you/nras_groups_in_your_area/default.aspx
    They also have freephone helpline number on 0800 298 7650 or you can email them on enquiries@nras.org.uk.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • judyc
    judyc Member Posts: 26
    Hi Dawn
    Thanks for your reply. I have contacted both and unfortunately there are no supports groups in Stoke on Trent which is really disappointing.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello judyc, we're here, or rather the forum is. :wink: OK, we're not 'tangible' as such but we are very supportive. I know there is a support group in my area but as it meets in the evening (when I have to cook for a hard-working husband) I don't go. I come here instead - there is usually someone around to listen. Please post on the Living with Arthritis part of the forum, I am sure you will gain some answers. I wish you well. DD (a forum member)
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    How do you feel about starting up a group near you? AC would help you with this.

"No branch in your area?
    If there isn’t a branch in your area, why not think about setting one up? It couldn’t be simpler. If you visit the local rheumatology department you could speak to the rheumatology nurse to see if other people are interested.

Once you have found two or three interested people, contact Central England’s volunteering development manager, who can give you more information about getting started - finding a venue, promoting yourselves, and the roles and responsibilities involved. There are spring and autumn meetings in your area to enable you to get together with other branches to learn what is happening in the network."

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.