Hello

Robbie34
Robbie34 Member Posts: 2
edited 14. Sep 2013, 13:15 in Say Hello Archive
Just to say hello. I have been a member of Arthritis Care for about eighteen months but this is the first time that I have visited the forum, and I joined today.

I have had arthritis for some years now and I had a total knee replacement ten months ago. I am waiting to go in hospital for the same op on my other leg. I'm in great pain but nothing seems to help. Naproxen has caused stomach problems; Tramadol does nothing; and Co Codamol seems to be the only thing that helps.

I have just ordered a mobility scooter so that I can get out and take my dog for walks. Any advice about this would be welcome.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello and welcome :) I'm sorry you're in a lot of pain right now. I well remember those awful days of waiting for a joint replacement when the pain is doing its worst. I can't take NSAIDS either so I, too, relied on cocos.

I think it's a good idea to get a scooter so that you can take your dog for a walk. I know at least two forum members who do that.

Please join in anywhere you wish. We are a friendly lot :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Robbie and a warm welcome from me...I am glad you have joined us has there is so much info off other people that are going through the same..I bit the bullet earlier in the year and got myself a wheelchair ..it makes such a difference when you can get out and about with out the pain ..I do hope to see you posting more very soon.
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I can empathise with your situation as I am waiting for two new knees (maybe sometime next year once I qualify on age-grounds). In the meantime I stagger on on two OA-ridden ankles and a dodgy right hip: I have another form of arthritis which affects those and other joints, fun it is not. :wink:

I use a rollator now and that has made a big difference to what I can manage walking-wise and how long I can do it. Walking a dog, however, would be tricky with one of those so yes, I think a scooter is a very good idea. In your situation I would go for second-hand because, hopefully, once the other knee is done the need for it may be relegated to the past, so why fork out too much? I would have one but we have nowhere to store it or recharge it which is rather glum-making.

It's nice to meet you and I look forward to seeing your name here and there around the forum. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben