Very Anxious

purpleowl
purpleowl Member Posts: 231
edited 26. Sep 2013, 11:42 in Say Hello Archive
I was diagnosed in 2012 with arthritis of the lower spine and almost immediately was given a steroid injection which calmed everything down and I didn't get any problems until a few weeks ago. Now I have nerve pain in my legs, my doctor has prescribed Amitriptyline I am better pain wise but I am like a zombie. I am waiting to see the consultant again and hopefully another injection. I would like to know what other people take for pain relief.

I've had a browse around this forum and everybody seems so positive which I am finding hard to be at the moment.

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    We try to keep upbeat but like everyone else we have bad days
    This forum is great for good and bad days with lots of support, advice and laughter at times
    I've had Osteoarthritis for 10 years and spondylo arthropathy ( a type of inflammatory arthritis) for 4 years
    Medication is a complicated one most of us are on some type of arthritis medications as well as pain relief
    I take paracetamol and tramadol for pain with amitriptyline only a low dose at night
    How much amitriptyline do you take? As that's the one that can make yo feel like a zombie
    It takes a long time finding out what medication works for you
    What works for you won't work for some one else its a matter of trial and error
    My best advice would be go back to your GP to,see if there is anything else or to go,with the amitriptyline and maybe lower the dose
    Hope that helps a little
    Maria
  • purpleowl
    Hi Maria,

many thanks for your answer. I have reduced the Amitriptyline from 30 to 20mg but still unable to drive. I have asked my GP what else I can take, she wants me to take 4 hourly doses of Paracetomol which I have started but haven't much faith in. If the pain gets to bad I will talk to her again.

Trish
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello purpleowl (I like the name!) it is lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. Steroid injections are only a temporary 'fix' - they don't last for ever but as it's been some time since your last one I wonder if another may be a possibility? I never gained much benefit from them (and it may not work as well this time around) but it could be a thought.

Now, amytryp. It's a biggie of a med, what dose are you taking and at what time of the day do you take it? Many on here take it between two and three hours before bed-time, apparently that avoids the 'hangover' feeling in the morning. My rheumatologist wants me to try it but I am currently refusing: I do not move naturally in my sleep and the thought of waking up after eight or more still hours is not pleasant. It's bad enough waking up as it is. :wink: I take 30/500 co-codamols for pain relief, they don't take it away but they remove enough of an edge for me to manage with the residual pain. I have stronger ones too but I prefer to keep them for the truly rough days. I also take a daily anti-inflammatory - that helps matters. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Hi, I take gabapentin for the nerve pain in my legs and it works for me. I don't have any side effects, however others have found it to be too sedative for them. We are all different. I stopped taking the amitryptyline as it had too many side effects for me.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh crikey, :oops: I sincerely apologise :oops: - somehow I missed your reply to Maria (my feeble defence is that I am having a rough day) and of course you answered my question. One of the difficutlies we all face is that what works for one won't work for another (as Maria so wisely said). Are you seeing a rheumatologist? GPs don't always have all the answers, especially if the arthritis is an auto-immune-based type. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hi purpleowl;

Like suzygirl, I also take gabapentin for nerve pain and won't go without it now. Starting it was rough; I had loads of side-effects but they lessened with time. Strangely, it made me hyper (and a few other things), opposite of the stated side-effect. There are a few other different meds for nerve pain too.

I have recently read that nortriptyline can be less sedating than amitriptyline and yet have the same effect on nerve pain. It's not one I've tried though.

Sometimes you have to keep pestering the doctor before they believe your pain is as bad as you say it is.

Best wishes,
    xxAnna
  • purpleowl
    Thank you all so much for your support. I have been in an awful state for a few weeks now but you have re-assured me that there will be some pain relief if the injection doesn't work. It's hard to get your head around the fact that you will never be the same. Mind you after reading some of the stories from young people on the forum I feel privileged to have had the life that I've had all 61 years of it!
  • purpleowl
    Hi Guys,

I have dropped the Amitriptyline to 20mg a day and started taking them two hours before bed but I'm still feeling spaced out. I have also started taking 4 hourly Paracetamol. It isn't as bad as last week but I'm wondering if it's going to improve any time soon. Hubby wants me to give it longer but I feel rubbish. Thoughts/comments would be gratefully received.

Do all strong painkillers make you 'feel out of it'. I'm beginning to get panicky again as I don't know how I am going to cope with this nerve pain.
    :cry: