The dark crooked finger of . . .

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 23. Sep 2013, 11:37 in Community Chit-chat archive
. . . . . widowhood beckoned (briefly) this afternoon. My belovéd was out in the back garden, doing manly things involving a hedge trimmer, when he cut through its cable. We have a circuit breaker but he hadn't plugged it in. GULP. He is fine (I am still wobbly) and eventually I thought 'Yeah! Christmas present!' only to be told he will have this one repaired (it was his late mum's). He is in the bath (sans anything electric) and I am consoling myself with the Great British Bake Off. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    YEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!

MEN!!! :shock:

Why no circuit breaker???

The good thing is, (checked with husband and he said), modern RCD boards should protect us against such errors.

Being a bit of a halfwit myself I prefer battery-powered stuff...much safer all round :)

Breathe deeply and relax. All is well :?

Thanks goodness

Love

Toni xxx
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Yikes DD, sounds like a close call. Glad he's ok.

You've got me thinking, it's almost time for my OH to tempt fate and climb up to clean the gutters. Scares me to distraction; he's not good with heights.

Wishes you and yours quiet, safe pursuits.
    Anna
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Good grief, DD, that must have been very scary. Pleased that he's all right.

Meg
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Tut tut Mr DD norty step for you. Hope everything is ok now. Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Blimey aren't men odd..we have a circuit breaker...does he use it..I have always been the gardener...maybe my OH is saying I shouldn't really be doing this :?
    glad he is ok DD..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    He was fine, just exasperated at himself for doing that before he had finished what he planned to do. He was dressed in his old togs but was wearing flip-flops on his tooties - how daft was that? He could have dropped the thing and cut himself badly - one way to sort out his gout, I suppose. :lol: DD

PS The garden is looking a deal tidier thanks to his efforts.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    O.M.G DD, I read the title with trepidation, I'm so so glad he is alright now, and you? I hope your wobbles have gone now......MEN!
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    how are you now. it's always worse for the one watching.
    you both take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    My ex did this but lived to tell the tale.

Widowhood beckoned for me too last week when the OH went off to Gt Yarmouth on his scooter and had a blow out flat out on an A road, outside lane. He managed to keep the bike upright and so lived to post pics on facebook for me to find.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Dear me what are they like!
    Thank goodness he's okay
    Maria
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Let's hope that next time he has something like that to do he will be less manly and more sensible!
    Does your house have an RCD board or do you have to put a separate plug in to be safe? I've had occasion to be glad of decent electrics over the years thanks to a daughter who went through a phase of sticking things in sockets(covers no use as I knew OH would never put them back) and workmen and husband who seemed to have blind spots when it came to cables. The classic was the plumber who decided to cut through a bit of wire that was in his way in the outhouse and I came home to find the electrics all off. 'Oh' he said 'I did hear a bit of a bang'. I told him that if he cared to hold the end of the wire while I restored the power he could have fireworks as well - I think he got the message that I was less than impressed!
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hedge trimming while wearing flip-flops? That's really tempting disaster.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    daffy2 wrote:
    The classic was the plumber who decided to cut through a bit of wire that was in his way in the outhouse and I came home to find the electrics all off. 'Oh' he said 'I did hear a bit of a bang'. I told him that if he cared to hold the end of the wire while I restored the power he could have fireworks as well

:lol::lol::lol: Brilliant, daffy.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright