Aggressive Osteoarthritis

Shortee
Shortee Member Posts: 5
Can anyone tell me what the term aggressive osteoarthritis is. I have it in my fingers and usually have steriod injections into the joints, unfortunately they have become so swollen and very painful that GP unable to do. Was given a double dose of steriod into my arm and was told it would take approx 5 days to get relief but I'm on day 8 and still not feeling the benefit. Any suggestions.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's nice to meet you. I have OA (plus another form of arthritis) and have never experienced any long-term relief from steroid jabs. There is a tendency with them that the more you have the less effective they become, all they offer is short-term relief by masking symptoms, not curing the cause.

OA is a progressive and degenerative condition but the rate of the progression and degeneration is as individual as us. Has your GP suggested any anti-inflammatory meds to you? They could help, I take a daily diclofenac (plus stomach protector) to ease my Achilles tendonitis. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Shortee
    Thanks for your reply... No anti inflammatory drugs being prescribed. I was diagnosed 2 years ago but this summer things have gotten worse and a new x-ray has shown that it is now aggressive. I have an appointment to see Rheumatology on 17th Dec and have work now putting pressure on me even though I have only been signed off for 2 weeks and am due back next week...

From a lot of the other post I'm reading there doesn't appear to be a lot of support from work placements even with the Equality Act 2010 in place.

Thanks again.
  • dreamdaisy
    Why have you been referred to a rheumatologist? Have you had some blood tests done? My GP deals with the OA and my rheumatologist with my psoriatic arthritis (aka PsA which is an auto-immune arthritis). The PsA began first and the joint damage from that has led to OA in both ankles, both knees, my right hip and my neck.

I don't have much experience of work matters because I was self-employed (ergo I had a very understanding boss :wink: ) but I have now 'retired' afed 54 because it all became too much. Employers do have a responsibility towards their workers, what sort of job do you have? Can any alterations or adjustments be put in place for you? Occupational Health may be your next port-of-call. DD
  • Shortee
    Hi... I have had numerous blood tests recently which showed high blood viscosity and CRP levels - Dr says body fighting infection but unsure where. I also have swollen ankles which have been confirmed as soft tissue damage but been referred as ankles are stiff with little movement. Really unsure of what's going on, all I know is the pain and mood swings are impacting on my husband, children and me....
  • dreamdaisy
    Right, a hgh CPR (should that be CRP?) may indicate an auto-immune type of arthritis is going on: in my early days my ESR and CRP were always high so, eventually, I was diagnosed as having an inflammatory auto-immune arthritis. OA is generally a straightforward diagnosis but the other kinds? It's not that straightforward.

Arthritis does not only have an impact on us, it affects those around us. It's not easy. DD
  • Shortee
    Thanks DD.... I have confirmed OA of my hands but have now researched psoriatic arthritis and it sounds like it could be but will definitely push to see if this is the case. As I don't have a diagnosis I am unable to access certain things that could help like a blue badge as my ankles are so swollen and stiff making it very painful to walk. I do suffer with normal psoriasis and have done since a child could this be linked.

I am only 46 and the process is so long winded but I work for my local council in the customer service team covering various areas, doing different roles and type which is painful as my fingers joints are so swollen and painful. I have requested a meeting next week (Tues) with my line manager and HR. I am already under OH and another referral has been requested so fingers crossed.

Sorry for waffling on and thanks for the replies.