Trouble using keys?

Nlondoner
Nlondoner Member Posts: 8
edited 4. Feb 2014, 17:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

I am looking to hear from any others who also find using / turning door keys a bit tricky ... Is this problem common? If so do you have any good solutions?

Thank you!

Comments

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I do.I'm considering one of those panel things (the proper name escapes me) as some of them have been safety tested and have come out well.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hi,

When my hands are really sore keys are troublesome. The OT recommended a key turn gadget but I can't remember what it's called sorry-it may be worth browsing on a disability living website.

Deb x
  • wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    i got a thing from occupational therapist that fits on the key to make it thicker ,it did help but i lost it when we moved house !!! ,it is a bit bulky in your pocket mind you but it definately works ..
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    I sometimes find it hard to move my arms to use keys in doors due to back stiffness and sholder pain.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Key-turners are available, mine cost 1.25 from a discount store. As for the key breaking? Oh to be that strong! :wink: Disability shops sell them too. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Yes I also find turning keys a problem, I find if I keep the locks well oiled it does help a bit......................arie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Nlondoner
    Thank you all so much for the feedback and advice! Sounds like I'm not the only one...

It sounds like the plastic key turners are the main tool to help with this?

Starburst, what are the safety tests for? ... the key turners? Just curious...

Would still love to hear from anyone else who deals with this problem!

Thanks again!
  • Nlondoner
    Hi All,

Anyone else have any advice on using keys?

Thanks for your help!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    What sort of advice, please? What sort of key are you having a problem with?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Nlondoner
    Sorry - just wondering if many people use key turner devices to assist key operation? and which ones they find effective?

Mainly for common modern door keys ...

Thanks very much!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    If by 'ordinary' you mean a common Yale-type key, just google 'key turner' and you'll find some.

maller keys are clearly more problematic as there is less to get hold of though any with a hole into which a pencil, biro etc can be inserted for leverage aren't too bad.

My all time favourites are those big, lever-type ones in some disabled toilets. No grip problem there but not very suitable for most homes :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Nlondoner
    Thanks very much for the advice Sticky Wicket. I have managed to find a few devices for sale online to help using keys!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I am another that uses the plastic key turners...I haven't broke one yet... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • Nlondoner
    Thanks Barbara!