Gym & OA

Options
louise7111
louise7111 Member Posts: 31
edited 30. Sep 2013, 05:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys,

just looking for a bit of advice. I have OA in my hands, wrists & knees. I was going to the gym 3 times a week but after a series of bad flares, I haven't been for several months. I kicked myself up the bum & finally went this morning. I didn't push myself too hard as I was worried about my knees. My knees are newly diagnosed.

When driving home, one knee was quite painful when pressing the clutch peddle but now feels fine, several hours later.
Does anyone know, if that would be the norm or should my knees not hurt at all after?

Also the rheumatologist said that I should try & build up my thigh muscles which will help. Does anyone know a good way of doing this with weights?

Thank you for your time

Louise X

Comments

• MrOptimist
    MrOptimist Member Posts: 175
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Louise, my feeling is that maybe a visit to a physio might help. Your problems would be assessed and the correct advice given accordingly.
    Best of Luck :)
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    any form of exercise is good
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Louise ..I agree with MrO..a physio would be able to give you the right exercises to do...I went to the gym for many years ..till OA struck...I do simple exercises at home..but next week I have an appointment with physio to get my new hip stronger..ready for the next one..just a point there are some good muscle building exercises on the net...but be very careful..also your GP could refer you for a one to one at your local gym..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Come on Barbara I want to see you doing the marathon next year
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I agree with the physio advice. That way you'd know the exercises were tailored to your own needs.

If you don't go down that route just be careful and always err on the side of caution. Build up very gradually. The only exercises I know to build up thigh muscles are quads.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Have you checked out the booklet on Exercise that Arthritis Care has?

Love
    Hileena
  • MrOptimist
    MrOptimist Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Just to add, there are also Tai Chi exercises which will help to strengthen thigh muscles :)