Difference between Generic Co Codamol and Solpadol.

blackbear
blackbear Member Posts: 14
edited 1. Oct 2013, 11:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All,
77 year old man trying to find out about the different ingredients in Co codamol and Solpadol. I have Chronic OA in both hips among other things and I was prescribed Generic Co Codamol for the constant pain. My latest prescription 30/500 was delivered to my house and it was Solpadol. On the packet other than the codeine/paracetomol was an additive called Azorubine E122,( Called Carmoisine a red dye colouring agent.) Allowed in UK but banned in Japan, Norway and America USA.. It can cause Skin Allergies.

I Have been have itchy skin rashes all over my chest since I started to take the Solpadol .
WHAT I want to know is : Does anyone know what the additives are in the Generic Co-Codamol .
Does anyone know if one of them is Azorubine ????I do not recall having these rashes when I was taking the generic CO Co,s. I have searched the web but to date no info available . Has anyone else suffered from these rashes.
I will check it out with my GP when I can get an appointment but in the meantime I tap into this forum as it is a font of great knowledge.
Thank you >Blackbear.

Comments

• Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Blackbear

Out of interest I took a look at the ingredients in my cocodamol which are also 30/500.

Aside from the obvious paracetamol and codeine, the remainder are fairly innocous they contain maize starch, povidone, colloidal silica, magnesium stearate and potassium sorbate (E202).

For what it's worth however, they do state that side effects can include skin rash and itching. I think your best bet is your gp, it may well have nothing to do with the Azorubine.
    Toots x
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi
    My advice is either go to your GP or your friendly pharmacist they have a wealth of knowledge regarding medications mine is amazing and very helpful I always go see him if I have any queries about the drugs I take
    Maria :)
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello Blackbear
    I just looked at m y co-codamol mine are 30/500 it has solpadol on the box.
    the other ingredients are sodium bicarbonate. anhydrous citric acid anhydrous sodium carbonate.sorbital powder.saccharin sodium povidone.
    dimeticone and sodium lauryl sulphate.
    I hope that helps take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi
    Just looked it up and yes solpodol does include Azorubine E122
    I use eMC the on line medicine web site it gives a list of ingredients and it's listed
    I would ask you pharmacist too
    Maria :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello again blackbear, you are a rare but always welcome visitor. I have always been given the same co-cos, contents as follows: codeine phosphate hemihydrate and paracetamol, sodium starch glycolate and magnesium stearate. The capsule shells are made of gelatin and contain cochineal red A (E124), brilliant blue (E133) and titanium dioxide (E171) as colouring agents so no, no E122 in mine.

I second the advice to go and chat with a pharmacist, they are knowledgeable and may be able to give you something to help with the rash. Why have extra un-necessaries to cope with? I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Hmm, red white and blue colouring agents DD....are they printed with a union jack?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm following this thread with some interest as you say the colouring agent is banned in the USA, blackbear, yet I thought that solpadol and solpadeine were the US equivalents of paracetamol and co-codamol.

If you think you are allergic to one of the inactive ingredients have a word with your GP. I had a problem when voltarol went generic. I couldn't take diclofenac so it simply went into my notes that mine had to be voltarol.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Yes indeed, Daffy, I have to toast the Queen and sing the national anthem every time I take them. :wink: You do make me smile, thank you because them's pretty rare at the moment.

I am very fortunate with my capsules because they are very easy to swallow. My friend (who also takes co-cos) has round, dry tablets which are rather chunky. I don't like them. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • blackbear
    blackbear Member Posts: 14
    Just to Thank you all, Smile today and look forward to smiling tomorrow. Blackbear