Psoriatic Spondyloarthropathy...

Tinky
Tinky Member Posts: 34
edited 2. Oct 2013, 03:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

Been lurking and reading all the posts.

I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Spondyloarthropathy ( that's what the Rheumy put ) in May after nearly three years of
pain and stiffness. I couldn't get out of bed by myself, walk very far. I also have it in my
shoulder, which is now got a large lump on and it always gives me a lot of pain. I also have it
in my feet, hands, neck and back.
Also have got a left elbow that won't straighten and is swollen been like this for about
5 months now.

I got started on Meloxicam and a stomach protector as I have an Hiatus Hernia as well, they
didn't work so was put on Sulfasalazine, that didn't work either. As well as Diclofenec and Naproxen
but my stomach didn't like them either. I've also had a few steroid injections but they never helped
at all.

So now one Meth 15 mg and Lansoprazole 15 mg and Celebrex 100 mg , plus pain dullers
which are not doing any good and still trying to fight the fatigue that is there all the time.
Also on Folic Acid 6 days a week at 5 mg. I haven't had any side effects yet.

I will be back at hospital for an appointment in November to see how I'm fairing with the MTX
being put up.

It's nice to have other people that understands this blooming disease...:)

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Tinky and welcome. Mine's RA but, whatever flavour, it's all a bit of a pain, isn't it?

I'm sorry you've had the runaround with the meds. I can't take anti-inflammatories either but I get on well with methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine. I hope the meth works well for you too.

Fatigue's another matter, I'm afraid, and just part and parcel of the disease. It's also one reason why many of us aim to keep the dullers to a minimum as they only make it worse.

Anyway, nice to meet you and I hope November's appointment is a good one.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tinky
    Thank you stickywicket.. nice to meet you too.. :D

Yeah, it is a pain.

I'm actually not doing too bad with the MTX at the moment, well, I think
    I am. But it's my back that isn't responding to anything.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hi Tinky

Welcome from me, as it is OA I have I am afraid I cant help with meds but having a neurological condition as well I know all about chronic pain so do know what you are going through. Good luck with your appointment in November, hope to see you around..................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Hello
    I had it 3 yrs before diagnosis and have the same thing as you in basically all my joints.
    Hope you get some improvement
    Take care
    kat
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello tinky I am so glad you have joined us, just being able to talk about things will help a lot..especially to people that understand some of what you are going through.
    I do hope the MTX works for you, and I hope the appointment goes well x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Tinky
    Thank you all for the kind words. It's nice to have somewhere to go
    where people are having the same sort of issues but of course I wish none of us were here.

But I do have the most caring and helpful hubby of 28 yrs who also has OA
    himself in every joint from hard graft as a Stevedore when he was younger, who looks after me like a princess I couldn't want for more :wink:
  • stickywicket
    If you think the meth isn't working for your back maybe it would be worth another visit to your rheumatologist, depending on how long you've been taking it. It can take up to three months to really kick in but there are other options.
    Steven Wright
  • Tinky
    If you think the meth isn't working for your back maybe it would be worth another visit to your rheumatologist, depending on how long you've been taking it. It can take up to three months to really kick in but there are other options.

I will be asking when I go, but I always thought that MTX wasn't any
    good for the back and only sometimes helped with the peripheral joints.
    Well, I have been reading a few books on the subject..I could be wrong.. :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I have PsA (plus OA) and am taking a triple therapy. This has definitely slowed the progress of the PsA but doesn't touch the OA (which is hardly surprising). I don't feel much in the way of benefit from the meds (OK, I'll be honest, no benefit at all) but my bloods show that they are working and working well. I think in my case it's because I didn't begin any medical treatment for five years - my symptoms were not recognised as a form of arthritis until things were well-advanced - so what came was too little too late, the damage was done but no matter, that cannot be changed.

I am pleased to read that you have a caring husband; I do too and I know I am very lucky to have him by my side. I look forward to seeing your name here and there around the boards, I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Tinky wrote:

I will be asking when I go, but I always thought that MTX wasn't any
    good for the back and only sometimes helped with the peripheral joints.
    Well, I have been reading a few books on the subject..I could be wrong.. :lol:

I'm ashamed to say I've no idea, Tinky. I've been on meth about 13 years and my RA is in good check, including hands but I've never had much of a problem with my back.
    Steven Wright
  • Tinky
    Thanks you all for the warm welcome.. :D

SW, I didn't mean to sound like a ' know it all', sorry.. :(

I'm having trouble with pain meds, as I try and stop taking them and I can't
    even move myself in bed without them.. :( Hubby has too move me. In the morning going to the bathroom I'm bent over like an old woman and I'm only
    47, it does make me feel upset.