Wanted to Say Hi!

Options
caleykate
caleykate Member Posts: 7
edited 7. Oct 2013, 17:00 in Say Hello Archive
Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Kate, I'm 31 and studying at Glasgow Caley. I was diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis in May this year after years of differing symptoms and trying to get doctors to take me seriously.

I started sulfasalazine 3 weeks ago but am having a pretty rough time at the moment, hence waking up this morning and searching google for a support forum. So glad to have found you!!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm glad you found us too, caleykate. I think we do a good job of supporting people and I know that I, for one, am extremely grateful for the cyber friends I've made here.

It's good that you've now got a diagnosis and started on some meds. Sulph is one of the standard starting meds but they can all take some time to kick in and, sometimes for side-effects to abate a little. I'm on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine. I have RA. However, the meds are the same whichever 'flavour' of auto-immune arthritis you have.

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask or to just jump in on any thread. Living With Arthritis and Chit Chat are the most popular forums. I think the titles are self-explanatory :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Welcome Kate, you have come to a very good place. I am afraid I cannot help you with questions as it is OA I have but I will be around to support you. As Sticky says jump in wherever you feel like there is always someone around. Nice to meet you hope to see you posting soon it is not all gloom and doom.............Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Kate and a warm welcome to the forum..I am so glad you have found us,..bur sorry you are suffering...you will get lots of info and support from the lovely people on here..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello from me too, sulph was my first med (I began it in early 2002) but I have been one of the lucky ones in that all I had intially was tremendous bruising. That eased but I still bruise very easily. I didn't find it much help on the inflammatory side of things but it does control my psoriasis - my first diagnosis was inflammatory arthropathy but, when my skin obliged with a bout of P in Ocotber 2006 that was changed to PsA (psoriatic arthritis). Only the label changed, nowt else. What dose are you on now? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Wendy56
    Wendy56 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Kate

I am new to this forum and making posts too (getting technical already :-) )

I was told 11 month ago I have OA in my fingers and wrist, and now have it in my elbow. I have just been tested for RA too as I have had swollen feet for weeks now and I am so tired. Hope I get the results soon so I can start treatment. So I do sympathise with you it's a lot to take in isn't it I still can't accept I have OA. I hope you feel better soon.

Keep in touch we can help and support each other :-)

Take care Wendy
    Wendy
  • caleykate
    caleykate Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Thanks for the lovely welcome, very grateful to have found u all. I got through last week...just about, haven't had pain like that in a long time, maybe ever...it was pretty bad.

On the upside I had to go into the surgery for weekly blood check so they did my ESR levels and found out today they were pretty high, before they have only ever been raised.

DD I'm on 1500mg now, has been built up over the past month. I go back to rheumatologist Nov 6th, but I really ought to see doctor before then. I have had bad splitting nails recently and didn't realised it can be attributed to the inflammatory arthritis.....one of my toe nails came off the other day...yuk and ouch!!! Has anyone had this before?Xx

Wendy hope u get a diagnosis sorted soon....Im still reluctant that they have mine right but I know it can change as treatment goes on.xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    My toenails fall off and my fingernails go through phases of weakness - at the moment they are very short but hopefully they will come back stronger. I have psoriatic arthritis which can affect the nails; for many moons I was classed as an inflammatory arthritic but, when my skin helpfully obliged with a bout of psoriasis on my palms and soles the rheumatological penny dropped. The meds, however, did not change. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Right, I went away and did my sums - you are on three sulph per day at the moment, yes? Are you buildng to four or six? I am on the latter amount and have been for years. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    HI Kate

Sorry I am late welcoming you but it is lovely to meet you :) .

I hope your medication gets to a level to help you very soon and that you find our forums as helpful as I have over the years.

Love

Toni xxx