living with ostaoarthritus

jimall
jimall Member Posts: 16
edited 21. Oct 2013, 12:46 in Say Hello Archive
I have had this for up to now 5 yrs no one listens how do you cope.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello jimall and welcome to the forums.

I've had RA for over 50 years and OA for about 35. What type of arthritis is yours?

Who doesn't listen to you? Please talk to us. We'll listen.

You can get lots of tips for coping if you look at the 'Publications & Resources' at the top of the page. I use exercise, a good diet, distraction techniques and, when necessary, pain relief.

If you have specific questions more people will see them on the Living With Arthritis forum. I hope we'll see you on there.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jimall
    Hi
    I dont think the medical people believe me and because you look o.k there cant be anything wrong with you.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello jimall and welcome to the forum
    When people ask how I cope I think to myself , things have got easier even though the pain is still there.
    I suppose we just get used to it...hopefully you have a good GP that will listen, and hopefully get you on the right meds..or refer you to a pain clinic..I do hope to see you posting more very soon
    Love
    Barbara
  • jimall
    Hi
    Has anyone went to a pain management class. Did it help?

Jim
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've not been to one myself, Jim, but quite a few people on here have and most speak highly of them. If you put a thread up about them on the Living With Arthritis forum some will hopefully see it and reply. Not many people look on this Say Hello forum.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I have Jim

it was one run by arthritis-care itself and was very useful. Straight away you feel less alone with it all. No 'cure' of course, but so many ideas to help me with it all.

Sorry I forgot to welcome you from me too

Toni xx
  • Stormyblue
    Stormyblue Member Posts: 23
    jimall wrote:
    I have had this for up to now 5 yrs no one listens how do you cope.

Totally relate to you on that one, I have been moaning about my knee problem since I was a young girl and went back and forward to GP in my early teens to be fob off all the time, its only recently the doctor have took notice to my problem as I mention the problems with my hands ( both and its all in the fingers joints) and finally to be told what I had.
    I am still trying to get over the shock and try to understand more about this condition. I am quite an active person and the idea of slowing down doesnt appeal to me, however if I overdo myself that when the pain start and I end up being seaten bound till it recover, ( not that it ever does recover but you get my drift) I am understood that osteoarthritis is clearly misunderstood.. shame really really would like it to be clear to everyone that doesnt understand this condition and how it actually affect us when it gets really bad and so forth. All i can say i relate to that quote you wrote.
    Life's for living, use it well
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    OA is a pig because it is so common and, truth be told, there is not a lot than can be done. I know that men have more pain receptors than women so that must make it tougher to handle but yet again, its sheer commonality makes it harder. I think there are between eight to ten million arthritics in the UK the majority of whom have OA. It can strike at any age but is 'treated' only with pain relief and maybe anti-inflammatories. What meds are you currently taking? I have OA for which I take co-codamols for pain dulling, plus a daily stomach protector and a daily anti-inflammatory. Life is not easy, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Hi folks. I havnt been on for a while but I have OA of lumber spine which plays havoc with left hip, also have fibromyalgia just to add more salt to wounds, been to pain clinic recently and awaiting now injection into facelet joints to see if it works. I have a hiatus hernia ulcers and crohns so medication doesn't help them conditions. Feel a walking disaster at the grand age of 51 yrs but this Arthur isn't fair whatever age you are xx
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    Hi,
    I am sorry to hear that you have so many health problems.

I also have OA of the lumber spine and had steroid injections into my facet joints in February last year which worked and so far I have had no return of back pain.

I also had one in my lower spine but sadly the nerve pain in my legs is back but it gave me 18 months pain free. :D

Hope it works for you!

Trish xx