The words you dont want to hear . . . .

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 22. Oct 2013, 09:12 in Community Chit-chat archive
. . . . . in a restaurant. Mr DD took me out for lunch today, we settled into our seats and then ten minutes later heard 'Let's go and sit over there, Finn, there's more room for you to play.' ' . . . . over there' was just behind me.

A restaurant is not a playroom. Simples. He wasn't too badly behaved but was shouty, which being a small boy (aged around three) was hardly surprising. Another babe (and she was, I later discovered she was seven months old) screamed throughout our lunch and little wonder. She needed her sleep but couldn't settle in a noisy restaurant. I wonder why? :?

I am not anti-child (they are interesting, engaging, lively, curious) but I am bewildered by this modern style of parenting. My parents fitted in with me and my needs, not vice versa. If I had had a child I would have done the same, their needs would surpass mine because surely that is the right way. You create a life, you respond to the needs of that life. Isn't that the adult thing to do? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh DD, I so agree. Being a bit "noise sensitive" myself, I had the experience traveling to my rheum appointment by ferry & bus this week. On the ferry "playground" public area (which is everywhere on board), there were several young ones happily screeching away while parents were busy attending to iphones. I love children, though don't have any myself, but why is it acceptable to allow all sorts of tired screaming and shrieking? I was not allowed to disrespect others as a child by making a lot of noise, but now a public place just seems to be an area where kids can go wild and do as they please. I thought teaching respect for others was part of parenting, no? Seems to be a byproduct of the world of working parents, I guess.

I do get what you're saying DD, tired kids at a pub because it suits the parents when the kids should likely be tucked up for an afternoon nap.

I presume these parents on the ferry had vehicles where the kids could be allowed to safely nap.

OK, I know you missed my rants, and now I've revealed what an grumpy sort I am. I think people don't realise how over-worked us pain-folks nervous systems are. Noise equals more pain to me...thus, children screaming equals more pain and more spoons used up!

Well, I've managed a rant. Maybe I'm feeling a bit better today.... :lol::lol:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Why am I thinking of the quote 'I love children but I couldn't eat a whole one.' :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    One particular incident came to mind when I was a manager in a very busy restaurant. We had a party of twenty in one night six of them being children, as it was very busy I had to roll the sleeves up and give the staff a hand. Serving the main course silver service was a nightmare as the kids were jumping all over the place even after pre-warning the parents, if one of them had got burned it would have been 'our' fault, how we got the meal served I will never know, to crown it when we were serving dessert I approached the table with five plates in my hands to get a swizzle stick hurled at me which landed in my eye, how the desserts didn't hit the deck I will never know and to add insult to injury I didn't even get an apology. I am not anti-child either DD but I think if you are taking kids to a restaurant thy should come with a 'government health warning' :lol: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Boomer13
    SW, only a half at a time. A whole one would be rude :lol::D
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Totally agree, DD.

Meg
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Is this an age thing ...I used to love the sound of children...well still do till they start screaming....
    Love
    Barbara
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    I too love the sound of children, but I don't think that is the problem. It's children who've never been taught how to behave properly at mealtimes, or in public places. It's parents who can't be bothered to teach their children manners, and respect for others.
    If little "Finn" really needed to play while his parents ate their meal, perhaps they should have taken him to Mac D' s, where I believe they have ball pools and such like. :wink:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I too love the sound of children, but I don't think that is the problem. It's children who've never been taught how to behave properly at mealtimes, or in public places. It's parents who can't be bothered to teach their children manners, and respect for others.
    If little "Finn" really needed to play while his parents ate their meal, perhaps they should have taken him to Mac D' s, where I believe they have ball pools and such like. :wink:
    Well said numpty ...I agree with every word x
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I'm so with you on this DD! Screaming children to me sounds like nails down a blackboard, don't they realise their little cherubs are causing disruption to other diners? I believe there should be totally separate buildings for family diners or even no children allowed restaurants!! It would be a perfect dining experience without screaming and running about children. There is a adults only cruise ship my OH & I've been on and it was bliss!! I'm not anti-children at all I love my Niece & Nephew, I just don't agree with parents who let their children run riot screaming and disrupting people in public places,they totally ignore their children and chat away or go into their own little worlds and don't reign their children in when it gets to much.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    We often take ours to restaurants and if they get bored then I take them out and sit with them in the car so as not to spoil others enjoyment.(missing my meal)

Exxx

Apologies space bar jammed and cursor has a mind of its own.

no worries
    YEH
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    I wouldn't smoke and sip gin-tonics in a kindergarten. Some mothers bring their babies to the theater to breast feed them when they start to scream in the middle of a monologue. I have absolutely nothing against children. It's the parents who need education. There are helplines for mothers beaten by their off-spring. Weird world...
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Some nowty dames on here as well.
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    :lol:
    ichabod6 wrote:
    Some nowty dames on here as well.
    Oh if nowtys nice then guess we areand thankyou Ichabod :lol:
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    I looked it up, Nowty : Moody, sullen, bad tempered and prone to mood swings! :o :shock:
    Yup, reckon that sums us up :lol:
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Well.... I am anti children and that's all I'm going to say on the subject,I'm sure I don't need to explain further!
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • Boomer13
    I looked it up, Nowty : Moody, sullen, bad tempered and prone to mood swings! :o :shock:
    Yup, reckon that sums us up :lol:

That's right! :D
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Thankyou Numpty :lol: ,fell for that big time .Ichibod grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    :lol::lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am not particularly fond of children myself but, if you are taking them into what could be termed 'adult' places then surely it is part of the parental role to teach them the standard general rules of public behaviour. The smug young ones with the two babies were able to leave their hulking great prams in the entrance to the place, thus making gaining entry harder than necessary, and seemd to expect those around them to beam with glee at the cleverness in producing such cutesy humans. Yuk. As for the small boy, he wasn't that badly behaved but I had to smile when Grandma told off Grandpa for taking a call on his mobile phone - 'That is so rude of you!' This was spoken as said boy knocked my sticks over for the second time. (They were tucked behind me, resting against a pillar and nowhere near their table.) 'Could you move those elsewhere, please?' 'I think not, that is the neatest out-of-the-way place for them so he can stop going near them,' was my response.

I went out with my parents once or twice when I was five and a little older, Mum took a colouring book and five crayons. I was told to sit still, talk to the grown-ups when spoken to and I could colour in after the meal. Mind you, I was the only child of older parents so maybe I was expected to be more quiescent, I dunno. It was made clear though that this was a public space and I must behave. There's nowt wrong with that, methinks. Perhaps it's the rise in burger chains and the diminishing of families eating together which is leading to the general decline in public manners. The growing number of people who eat on the hoof is horrid. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    I agree with you.i like children that are well behaved.we had to sit with our arms folded until everyone had finished.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx