Blow the wind blow!!

purpleowl
purpleowl Member Posts: 231
edited 29. Oct 2013, 06:23 in Community Chit-chat archive
Blow the XXXXXX wind blow and I'v already lost my beautiful red, climbing rose with it's trellis! :cry: I guess someone down the road has it now!

We still have a gusty night to go so I am praying that there won't be too much debris to clear up tomorrow! OH has been stressing, running around securing everything he can.

I hope you guys don't have too much damage to clear tomorrow. At least we don't have bush fires I suppose. :roll:

Take care,

Trish xx

[Mod edit for sw*aring House Rule 1. Mod B]

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    We have battened down our hatches as much as we can. I noted from the local news that rail services between 6 and 9am have been suspended (I live in Ipswich) and the wind today has increased in its gust-strength. Last Friday week my road was closed by a branch which blew off a tree opposite my house - the rest of the tree has been pronounced safe by a bloke from IBC (Ipswich Borough Council); if he is proved wrong I have his name. :wink: The trees opposite our house are between fifty and eighty feet in height and haven't (as yet) lost all their leaves. I have moved a favourite jug from the window sill, just in case. Our wheelie bins are secure, but the rest, well, we'll see.

We are fortunate in that we generally miss the extremes of weather that other climates experience (our version of a hurricane would have those who know the real thing in fits) but, when it comes, it comes. Here's to a safe night for all, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Oh no Trish. Hope you don't lose anything else and keep safe.

DD, hope you keep safe too and no more tree branches go flying.

I've taken the cover off my garden swing as it had already come loose and moved a favourite potted rose. Just remembered my wheely bin is outside the back gate and I'm not going back out there now. Guess it won't get far. We're not expecting it too bad in the NE of England although it does sound quite windy out there.
    Christine
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    So far so good here, I hope my 45 foot 11M freebanding (the old illegal CB) aerial stays up its been there for 8 years so it should be OK I hope. What I hope is we don't get the flat Earth brigade howling on about the dreaded "global warming", what can we do about it even Greenpeace use petrol to sail up and hassle the Ivan's in the Arctic, really silly move, dear old Putin and his lot don't do humour instead they like to use AK47's or even Polonium 210 in your T if you upset them.
  • pumpkin
    pumpkin Member Posts: 13
    Hi Trish, I'm sorry you lost the climbing rose, we have battened as best we can, mare and foal have to doors shut! don't think we will get to much wind in NW but will get a lot of rain....their will be be a lot of worried people in our village as it floods often! take care and stay safe everyone.
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    O dear my climbing rose seems very trivial compared to animals suffering and floods,

I hope that none of you guys suffer any major catastrophes tonight :shock:

Trish xx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I hope you all down south keep safe and the storm does not leave too much devastation in it's wake. We are very lucky here in central Scotland it is a pretty quiet and calm evening................Keep safe and well everyone xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    After a windy afternoon it's all quiet and calm in notts though a little muggy hope its not the calm before the storm. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    All is quiet in Ipswich . . . . . :?

Let's face it, we experience a very gentle and compliant climate; our huricanes and snow-storms are mere infants compared to others in the world but . . . . .

I slept through The Great Storm of 1987 (I was then living in Putney) but tonight? I am feeling uneasy. Sad but true. :oops: DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    I remember it being very mild before the 1987 event and thinking I might have the window open a bit during the night as it seemed rather muggy. Just as well I didn't! I did get to sleep, but was then woken up by the noise of what tuned out to be a couple of tiles coming loose and skittering across the roof before falling onto the drive. No sleep after that, luckily the children slept through, so the lack of power etc wasn't a problem until the morning. OH was working down south and took a day and a half to get home because he had a Land Rover and could use a chain saw, so found all sorts of interesting things to do for various utilities. Didn't see much of him once he was back as he was off out again to do manly public spirited things for the next couple of days - much more fun than dealing with 2 small children and no power!
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    It's eerily quiet and still here in Derbyshire at the moment (11.20 pm), so I think it might be the lull before the storm.

I hope that you will all keep safe and not have any damage to your property tomorrow.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Quite windy with some rain yesterday and in to the night. Woke about 3am and all was quiet. No wind now and just a little rain although it is very grey outside. Not ventured out yet but all looks calm and nothing in the garden has moved. Will check the roof tiles on my way out.

Hope any of you without power get it back quickly and no-one has had much damage done.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    A substantial amount of the iffy tree came down just after 8am. Excellent judgement by the council's tree experts! Another neighbour's car has been badly damaged (more fool them for leaving at the front of their house given recent events) and a tree crew came out very quickly to clear the road. They've left the wood all over the oppposite pavement, the rest of the tree is OK-ish but I am sitting downstairs in the dining room at the back. Just in case. They have closed the Orwell Bridge so Ipswich is now in gridlock. DD

PS None of our digital radios are working. :roll:
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Very little damage here in Brighton , 1987 was horrendous so we were anticipating more of the same ! The sea was very impressive yesterday however ; wild and savage !
    Jillyb
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Very quiet in the North West..we back onto fields and usually lose our shed..so here is hoping it fizzels out....hope every one down South is ok
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    We had heavy rain and gusts over the weekend but not like what they said was going to happen this morning, last night OH made sure the garden Rattan furniture was tied down. Last night and early hours of this morning we had torrential rain but no hurricane winds in Redditch it must have skirted us!!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Here in Yorkshire it's been a non-event, I'm delighted to report. My sympathies to all affected. High winds are very scary.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    We had a lot of rain from 5 am till about 6.30 am and then thank goodness nothing. Mig
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Hi all,

We got it, not as bad as the 1987 one, but boy I found it frightening this time. This time I was so aware of it where before I slept through it.

Checked in on our girls, they couldn't sleep. The only one that did was hubby, and that's because of all his meds. In our bedroom it was so noisy, I couldn't sleep so gave up and went down stairs. Youngest said our street looked like a park this morning. Bless her.
    Karen xx
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Overnight not the disaster predicted here thank heavens, I was worried about a couple of tiles on the corner of the roof facing into the storm.Very windy and chucking down with rain first thing - disconcerting to see the water on the road travelling uphill! It pretty soon cleared away, the sun came out and the wind dropped quite a bit so I was able to get to my allotment and pick up the apples before the dratted bunnies wreck them. Distinctly cooler so I'll need to wrap up for work tomorrow.
    I feel for those poor folks facing yet more water damage, there's been so much in recent years, and often hitting the same places. It wasn't entirely accidental that when I moved I chose another house on a hill; the problems of ice in winter are more than offset by not having everyone else's run-off going through my home and garden!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Same here Constable. I mostly slept through the last storm although I could hear people moving their cars in the night.This time stayed awake early hours and kids all unsettled and moved bedrooms. Luckily it wasn't anywhere near as bad as 87. A couple of trees were down but the ones next to the house (which put our insurance costs up)stayed put!
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein