Pain Management - Didn't Expect To Be Here

elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 31. Oct 2013, 08:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Guys...One year after total knee replacement and have been having physiotherapy for the past two months, intense stuff, my physio has tried all sorts of things and still my knee flares up, is painful and swollen. I got told they can do no more for me and its a case of pain managment with the mention of gabapentin an amitriplyine (sorry bad spelling) bit disappointed for this outcome and will discuss with my doctor in about a week's time...Expected to be out of pain not still in it....:-(( Sorry for moan...Elainexx

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Aww Elaine..when they said pain management to me..regards my back I thought they were giving up on me, but bit by bit I am getting there with the pain people..mostly with the meds..I really do hope they can help..are you still glad you had it done though xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Barbara

At times I wonder how better off I am but I can walk further etc..The pain is still there with me and I read about amitriplyine, its an anti depressant and has loads of side effects mind you so has gabapentin...Can only see what the doc says..Physio says this is the after effects of so much surgery, my pain pathways are all to pot!

Elainexx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Elaine I take the amys and the gabapentin...the amys I take at 7 in the evening for bed around 10 and they do help me sleep...they give much bigger dose for depression...the gabapentin helps the nerve pain in my back..but I will be honest I have dropped my does because of the side effects..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Barbara

With my auto immune disease and i used to get edema's all the time it said they were strong possibilities with both drugs....Could be entering a lion's den?

Elainexx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Sorry to hear that Elaine, I hope the meds can keep things under control for you, I have been down that road myself, unfortunately the amytrip did nothing for me and I had terrible side effects with the gaba, we are all different so lets hope they work for you. x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Marie

I have heard lots about gabapentin and I'm pretty sure that is a step up from my codeine phosphate 30mg twice daily? Suppose thought replacement would mean out of pain but it seems not...This is the results of me having had this condition since age of 18 now an old dinosaur aged 45!

Elainexx