Methotrexate

julian31
julian31 Member Posts: 16
edited 30. Apr 2014, 04:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Oh well here we go! - just about to start Methotrexate injections next week - any advice welcome :)

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Good luck, I can't offer any advice, as I'm waiting to get my injected meth at the moment. Please let us know how it goes.
    take care,
    Numpty
  • toey
    toey Member Posts: 1
    I have been taking it for half a year. It can help u against destroy ur joints . Prenidolone just help u to relieve pain. But metho is a strong medicine. [text deleted by moderator]

Methotrexate is a medicine some people remain on long term, to help control their condition. Please always follow the advice of your health team.

YEH
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    Haven't personally had any problems or side effects with injected meth, and as it is more bio-available than tablet form ie more potent because it isn't going through your gut, I imagine it's saved me having to take maybe a higher dose than i would on tablets. I take it you are moving over from tablets, hope you get on well with the injections, good luck. (and to you too, Numptydumpty). :)
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Julian,
    I started injection Meth in mid-January. I don’t know if you have had your first delivery of injections yet, but in my area a nurse came to the house to show me how to self-inject. I am sure you are apprehensive but the nurse will not let you go solo until they are sure you are ok with the procedure.
    I find that I am better when I can find a quieter part of the day to do the deed. I make a cuppa and then get everything ready and after the injection I can sit for a while and have a drink. The needle is short and very fine as thus far I have not even needed the small plaster that comes with the kit. The syringe is small and the plunger is easy to use.
    Hope that helps,
    Good luck I am sure if a needle phobic like me can do it anyone can. I have been a lot better on the injections than I was on the tablets so I hope you will find the same.
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Hi. I'm having a break from my RA meds just now in order to get to the bottom of what are side effects and what are secondary conditions to RA. Also I'm so much better than I wanted to see if the RA might have upped and left but I know this is irrational and about being in denial probably. I'm realising that stuff I had been blaming my drugs for are probably nothing to do with them mostly. I am doing this with the knowledge and support of two GPs as well despite my rheumy being rather concerned at a distance.

I did just want to tell you that I switched to injectable MTX last September and it was the thing that finally brought my inflammatory markers down from high to almost normal. I asked a different consultant about this in January and he told me that injectable MTX is significantly more effective than the tablets and that's why my RA was so much better. He said that 15mg of injectable MTX is the equivalent in effectiveness as 25mg tablets but because it bypasses your digestive tract it can avoid the side effects. By having a month off this drug and Hydroxichloraquine I'm starting to realise how little the Metoject (MTX sub cut) is to blame for many things I was attributing to it and how effective it is for my RA! Good luck - it's really easy and pain free I promise! Mat x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    Interesting to read Mat48, hope you'll find that sorting out what's a side effect & what isn't will help you, always nice if you can find out something definitive. If you restart the meds good luck with keeping your markers down nicely.
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Thanks. The plan is that I restart the Metoject a week tomorrow after four weeks off and see what effect it has on various stuff, if any. But I have learned that it was probably the additional Hydroxichloraquine that was making me feel sick still and that dry mouth and eyes and even perhaps blisters up my nose and on cheeks were probably more to do with RA/ secondary Sjogrens than MTX. Sort of relieved really as I don't want to dislike a drug that is helping me in other ways so much!
    Mat x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    I have been on Meth injections for about a year now.
    Always do them at the same time each week.
    (I usually do them at night).

Remember to take your folic acid the day after.
    The only side effect that I have is tiredness the day after and a bit of an upset tummy, but other that than no other problems.

The injections work much better than the tablets did (for me anyway) but we are all different.

I would also keep a medical diary so that you track your injections and any side effects. I have found this very useful.
  • julian31
    Well that first Meth appointment was interesting yesterday!
    I arrived at the Docs for an appointment with the nurse who hadn't got the prescription on her system. They didn't know I'd had the needles delivered and she wouldn't let me inject myself. The Nurse had to get permission from the Doc and finally paperwork was found. I now have 4 sausage fingers and am in 7/10 pain and it's getting worse :cry:
  • oldies
    oldies Member Posts: 66
    I have been self injecting for 12 months now,they are great for me personally as I have an absorption problem.No problems upto now,had to do them in front of arthritis practictioner for a couple of weeks.I now get a repeat prescription from gp for a months supply along with a sharps box.
  • julian31
    Well here goes - they just upped the dose to 20mg and weekly bloods again :( :?
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Good luck! I hope it goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    I found the Meth injections worked better for me than the tablets did.

My biggest tip it to the injections at night as you will feel very tired during the day otherwise.

Also do in the injections on your own.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, have you been injecting since April? I take it that you have, probably at around 15mg? I have been on the injected meth for a while now, I don't feel much in the way of tangible benefit but I know it's helping to control my PsA because my bloods are good. It supports my injected humira and the tablet sulphasalazine. I wish you well and I hope it it starts to do a little more for you. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julian31
    so that's me off the Meth to try something else. I was increased to 25 and after 2 months I tried to move 2 days forward so I could drink loads on a Sunday and maybe just feel rough on Mondays. I drive all day so can't be drinking and needing the loo all the time while driving!! Don't know what they're going to try next.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Julian, I do understand it will be difficult for you with your job but it's very important that we all keep well-hydrated whether or not we're on meth. Even those not on medication need this, otherwise the kidneys suffer, but those of us on strong meds of any kind need to keep flushing them out. I guess it's a somewhat indelicate issue but, if you don't pass regular loos, can you not keep some bottles in your lorry/van/car? And be glad you're not a woman :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright