And Relax.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 7. Nov 2013, 12:56 in Community Chit-chat archive
The 'phone rang at 12.40pm, it was the agent who is dealing with our purchase of No. 10. He asked how things stood regarding our current abode and I replied that we were going to move then put this on the market. He then said he had a couple who were very interested and would like to see it. I said OK, any weekday would be fine. He rang back ten minutes later and said 'Is 2pm today OK?'

Gulp.

I have done the Spofforths to end all Spofforths (check the Meaning of Liff for that definition, if you don't know it I will explain later). (And no, Mods, it ain't swearing. I have turned on the heating, switched on many lights, dusted the really obvious surfaces and am now going to make myself a cuppa. And relaaaaaaaaax. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Crikey, DD. Never a dull moment. Well done you.

Good luck with the viewing. You can collapse in a heap afterwards. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Susie
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hope you have calmed down a bit and the viewing went very well, I have had a couple sprung on me as well, it certainly gets the adrenalin going xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    I hope the viewing went well with no um's and ar's.
    good luck.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    This run of serendipity must end soon. There are two estate agents at the office where we found No. 10, the one we haven't been dealing with went to this young couple's house this morning to value it prior to it being put on the market. Naturally he asked what they were looking for, they told him and he thought 'Hmmmmmmmmmm, I know a couple who have a house like that.'

They love it. :shock: They want to come back soon with the child in tow, I said that they are welcome at any time but I won't get my hopes up too high, because, as I said, this run of serendipity must end. There's is not on the market yet, ours is not either but wouldn't it be a neat ending? :lol: DD

PS Spofforth means to quickly tidy up before your cleaning lady comes round to do just that. Another of my favourites is Kettering - the marks left on your naked thighs after sitting on a wickerwork chair.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It would be a perfect ending but hang on to the serendipity. Why not.

Spofforth? I've always liked Berepper but I fear I am not allowed to disclose the meaning on this forum.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I learn such a lot from you two ladies. Mig
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Thought you meant the place called Spofforth nr Wetherby
    Silly me!
    Also thought you meant no 10 Downing Street!
    Silly me!
    Hope all goes well
    I'm not on here much these days but like to check up on the regulars
    Maria
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh DD things are moving on ...Spofforth I love it..now fingers crossed it all goes smoothly..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    You are right, Maria, it is the Spofforth. The Meaning of Liff is a wonderful little book which takes place names and allocates meanings to them, those little experiences of human life for which there are no words. Two local-ish ones to me are Beccles, which are the little bits of bone you occasionally find in bacon sarnies and Nacton, which is the 'n as in Fish 'n Chips. There is also Gweek (Wales) which is a metal coathanger being recycled as a car aerial. You don't see many Gweeks nowadays. And not, it's not that No.10.

Barbara? Yup, you're right, things are going suspiciously smoothly which is why I feel it can't last! :)

My husband is currently not one of my favourite people. On Saturday he told my Aunt that we wouldn't be putting the on the market until we had moved, in order to make things easier for me. Last night (after the unexpected viewing) he grandly announced that the week-end will be devoted to tidying up so we can put it on the market. Complete U-turn. The salient point he is missing is this: we have nowhere to put the overflow of stuff caused by our mum's demises. Twerp. I am going to investigate renting a small storage unit for a couple of months. DD
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Oh DD You do make me smile.....Twerp is now planted firmly in my vocabulary.

I hope it all goes well for you,
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I really hope your serendipity continues and everything comes to a perfect conclusion as you really deserve it DD.

Well my OH does a lot of spofforth!! As he has an OCD to cleaning and always goes over our house cleaners work on a weekend!! I love that word!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    The run of serendipity is richly deserved DD and I do hope it lasts for you. You have been through so much and you are still having grotty things to deal with health wise, so you need something going well to offset the rest.
    Renting storage is an excellent idea. It saves 'stuff' reproaching you and getting in the way, so leaving energy and space to deal with more important matters. Also you may well find that it makes it easier to sort out what to keep and what to pass on once you retrieve the things, having had a period of 'out of sight'... and not being constantly reminded of the circumstances which led to you having those things at all.
    When I made the decision to sell our family home after my husband left I cleared out a lot but the rest went into storage as I didn't know what sort of place I would be living in next and also there were things I couldn't decide on, either for emotional reasons or because I thought my son or daughter might want them. After a gap of several months, having found a new home, when the boxes were retrieved I found I was able to decide on the spot what to keep and what to get rid of for much of it.
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Wow! I hope it all works out smoothly DD, you deserve to have something work out easily for you. :D

I like calling it No 10, makes me thing of importance :wink: I also love twerp, I shall be using that word.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It's the difference in speeds. Our non-arthritic spouses zoom through life on the motorway with the aim of getting from A to B asap. We, of necessity, pootle along the sideroads with plenty of time to admire the view and enjoy the journey. Every so often our worlds collide :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you, everyone, for your kind and wise words. Today has been grim, I can't deny it; I am paying the price for yesterday's hustle and bustle. I will contact a couple of local removers tomorrow for quotes on the cost of moving, purchasing packing materials, what their packing services will cost, etc etc etc. Both offer a storage facility but, if he is prepared to live with boxes packed, piled and labelled, then we can do that. I can pack a little every day, and the removers can shift them when the time comes.

Bearing in mind that my Ma's very cluttered house was emptied in less than 24 hours it is tempting to leave it to the fit and healthy but 'im indoors won't approve due to the extra cost. Mind you, I now have funds . . . . . . . . I need to think about my health (and sanity - which is already doubtful :wink: ) DD