Motability

elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 10. Nov 2013, 05:31 in Community Chit-chat archive
Can someone please explain how this works as Im baffled? My sister is getting a motibility car, she has had a knee replacement like me, hers was 9 years ago, she also has a bad ankle (takes bendofurisamide?) every day becuase she had gout quite number of times and swelling never goes down on her ankle. Despite this she works full time and she can out walk me any day, post and pre my knee replacement. I have a nephew too who had mild autism, he has a bus pass, can use megabus for free.
She is getting a nissan quashqai too which having been in a vitara jeep I found very hard to get in and out of....
It just puzzles me why she qualifies, she just laughs it off!

Elainexx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    According to the Motability website these are the criteria:

" If you receive either the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMC DLA), the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (ERMC PIP) , the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS) or the Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP) you may be eligible to join the Motability Scheme."
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    It will depend on how she filled out her DLA claim. She might have played up some of the gout symptoms, remember it is how your illness effects your mobility not the diagnosis.

Not sure why your Nephew gets a bus pass but it might be because of his age. All the children under 16 travel to school with a free card in our borough.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    As Elizabeth says it depends how she filled out her DLA claim form and how the Doc' assessed her, it might be a bit different if she gets assessed for the new PIP.

My Grandson was diagnosed with ADHD some years ago and is on meds, I learned recently that his mum gets DLA for him! If you spent a whole day in his company you would never know, but then his mother is money mad!!
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • elainebadknee

She is very active, works full time, runs a house, looks after 10 or more grandchildren and can walk for hours upon end...Still baffled?

Elainex
  • elainebadknee
    Elizabeth

Well when i was there in the summer and we went round a distillery and she had no problems with the steps up and down and walking all round the grounds...I on the other hand needed help with the steps an didn't feel i could walk round the grounds, needed to find a seat! We may be related but her mobility is not compromised in any way whatsoever!

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Numpty

Well when i was going through my ESA nightmare she didn't let on at all she had been for any medical, just played ignorant to it all...I'm sorry but she is in no way eligible for this...I mean if i go shopping with them they walk in town for2.5 hours and then round supermarkets for a further 3 hours and I am just about dropping, she is happy to keep going....Also it does amuse me when i see fellow blue badge holders getting out of sports cars/big range rover types, I just can't do it...Last time tried to get in my sister's vitara ended up on my face with legs hanging out, couldn't get them in at all??!!

Elainexx
  • tkachev
    No I could not get into a quashqai-I tried.I do know several people who have quashqai motability cars and they genuinely have R.A. I'm always telling family not to send a mini bus to collect us for nights out but they.I endup using a childs step and I'm in agony.

You could report on your Sister if you think she doesn't deserve mobility but I know that isn't an easy thing to do and she'd probably guess it was you.

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Elizabeth

I would not report her but I do not think she is deserving of this motability car. As with my nephew they get money for him and are supposed to spend it on him but it doesn't, nobody even takes him swimming and he loves going (I took him twice in the week I was there and he even interacted with other kids more, so I was more or less on my own)....They could even sit in the cafe for an hour but don't..
    I can't say no more and the choice of vehicle puzzles me even more...Its just me, once my own knee gets better I fully intend to give up my blue badge because if my walking distance gets better and I only have toruble getting out of car in tight spaces that wouldn't entitle me to a blue badge...

Elainexx
  • tkachev
    what a shame they don't take him swimming. I think they could use the DLA and employ someone if they don't want to go themselves. That would be a good use of the money. I've been trying to do the same for my boy-you'd never know there were so many unemployed.The local carers support only have 2 people on their books!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Elaine, what a frustrating dilemma, well I suppose not a dilemma because you know you wont do anything but, this sort of thing is what makes it harder for the rest of us, I'm sorry if that sounded hard but......
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Elaine sorry I cant help, but like someone says it is so frustrating for you..but sadly this is how the country is at the mo x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Elizabeth
    It is ridiculous they have a big 5 bedroom house, he gets the run of the huge living room with his own sky box, in between that he has the computer switched on all the time and then when he gets bored of that he has a tablet...Even when they have visitors they don't get in the sitting room, its sitting on hard dining room seats all the time....

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Numpty

If its family or not I voice what I feel I mean in my opinion that's money my sister doesn't need, she has an excellent wage on the NHS and will get a full pension...The money they are entitled is for my nephew but as stated above that's not well spent...

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Barbara

This is why the reforms are taking place benefits are given out too easily in some cases.

Elainexx
  • celebrationb
    celebrationb Member Posts: 134
    I can feel for you my sisiter has a trapped nerve in her leg and is on a stick, got a mobilty scooter, complains all the time of pains. Gets lifted in a wheel chair on planes always say how disabled she is. Always poor me she said.
    My point is the I have had a trapped fermol nerve for years and run my own business and teach also train ( will you could call it train) in ju jitsu now been told that i have arthritis in my knee of my bad leg. Still i dont feel that i need all her things. It can be very uncomfortable (very sore) but i have to cope with it.
    Thanks to the feed back on the forum i feel as if i can cope better. May need to make changes.
    But am not disabled at the moment and maybe later will need some help with walking but not now.
  • elainebadknee
    Celeb

Well there you go you see, some people who have problems maybe they give in to it more and I don't mean that in a mean way but obviously if you both have trapped nerves but one uses a stick, wheelchair, etc it is weird? Everyone is different of course and I am not saying your sister has not got a problem but it is frustrating to both you and myself...I mean my sister got her knee replaced sooner than it should have been done cos she worked in orthopaedics and knew the surgeon, she claims she never pulled any strings but she had been having more steroid injections than you or I wouldf be allowed and then the ealry op..

Elainexx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I find the way DLA mobility is (was) assessed very odd. I am a student social worker, so have lots of experience with disabled people and DLA. Some people with high mobility needs seem to struggle to get the higher rate but others with - seemingly fewer needs - can get it with great ease. Who knows what the assessors are thinking on the day they make their recommendations?!
  • elainebadknee
    Staburst

I wonder then? I mean it should be a no brainer to me if you can hold down a full time job then go home and manage children as well, my personal opinion is that you do not need the highest rate of DLA.....I'd love to get into the assessor's head's honestly/!

Elainexx
  • celebrationb
    I just want to get on with my life, my sister got dla etc. I went black belt last Nov with my leg, but now with arthritis I am just trying to get on with it. My sister can put it on am not, am making changes but but am not getting any help with it with dla. If I can I want to continue being self employed and teach in the club . Maybe not train as much .
  • elainebadknee
    Celeb

Well you must obviously be in much better condition than your sister, physically, maybe that's why you cope better and she doesn't...I suspect its all about PMA positive mental attitude too mind you..

Elainexx
  • celebrationb
    It is. I just want to get o. With my life. She wants different things .