Is my daughters arthritus bad enough to need methatrixate?

Options
Bethliz
Bethliz Member Posts: 44
edited 11. Dec 2013, 06:21 in My child has arthritis
Hi
I think I have asked a similar question before so sorry if you are reading this and thinking not again! I need to be sure in my own mind whether meth is necessary for my daughter. She is 2. She has arthritis in her knee and wrist. Her wrist doesn't bother her at all, her knee bothers her for approximately 1 hour every morning but for the rest of the day she's fine! When she wakes she complains of a sore knee and it is stiff. I give her ibruprofen and rub arnica cooling gel on it then sit with her and do stretches etc that the physio has recommended. Her 1st few walks of the day are slow and a bit of a limp but by the time we have had breakfast and got dressed she is fine and walks and runs around normally for the rest of the day. Is this similar to other people's experiences prior to methatrixate or have other little ones been suffering for longer periods of time before it was thought necessary to begin medication. Her knee is not red or swollen but sometimes feels quite warm. Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read this and I will be very grateful to anyone who can share their experiences.

Bethliz

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It may seem that she doesn't appear to warrant going onto such a med as meth but one of the crucial points about this drug is that it controls the disease, it is designed to slow the progress of it spreading and reduce the activity levels of the disease; I think the heat in her joint is indicative of active disease. We are not the ones to judge whether she should start this med, this is in the remit of her rhuematologist, he will be the one to decide whether this is a necesary next step. I hope it won't be but if he deems it so then I hope you can consider it as a good option rather than bad. I wish you both well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lozzy
    Lozzy Member Posts: 46
    Options
    My daughters rheumatology team prefer steroid injections as the first line of treatment, metho is only given if they have a number of joins flare in a short space of time.
  • Bethliz
    Bethliz Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Hi Lozzy

Sounds like you have a great team behind you! My daughters consultant is desperate to put her on mtx despite the fact she has been stable for months! I would much rather she had another joint injection, yes her knee is a little bothersome but nothing serious! Really hope everything is improving for your wee girl x

Bethliz
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Steroids have a part to play in treating the condition but they have serious long-term effects on the whole body. They help by thinning the inflammation but not just the inflammation in the joints: they thin all body tissues including bones. Please bear this in mind - your rheumatologist is the one who knows what is best, listen to what they have to say and make sure you discuss things fully with them. I wish you both well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben