The Luck of The Draw

elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 12. Nov 2013, 11:17 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

Okay, I got word to got for an interview yesterday whilst out in the car, let's just say as not allowed to name them they are a large supermarket who has just started to bring in lots of different veggies all displayed with ice and dry ice...You know, begins with m and ends in n?
Anyhow got up, had a shower, dressed up an goes to said place...Customer services, the ciggie point told me to go through a door and up the stairs, I thought that was a bad security check as I could be anyone so someone took me. Got up there and answered questions such as "how positive are you, do you enjoy helping other", 14 questions in all...Wasn't to bad and went into interview and had to expand slightly on questions but not as much as other interviews. Then I got asked why hadn;t i worked since 2010, said had knee replacement, got asked where, told them hsopital in wigan and gets a blank stare....The woman interviewing me then says "my mum had an op there, she contracted MRSA and died"...Im thinking "oh flipping heck, why me" but said I was sorry to have heard that but she muttered every time she heard that hospital's name she felt so sad....
The job is chekcout its not bad wages but why is my luck just never going for me? I was trying to say had op and was so glad had it done and am now as fit as can be expected but this made me feel very awkward...I pulled it back a bit as she put cards in front of me with food items on them and asked me to pick one then sell it to her in 30seconds, i picked beef steak and suggested it be cooked and served with nice bottle of red wine....But flipping heck, everywhere I go it seems im cursed...I find out the results in 2 weeks time...

Elainexx

Comments

• numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Well the best of luck to you Elaine and great that you had an interview. It's amazing how a comment can just floor you, I wouldn't worry about it though, she may have realised her comment wasn't necessary
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • elainebadknee
    Numpty

Its like out of all the interviewers I could have its just my luck I get the one person whose relative has died as a result of infection at the hsopital I got my treatment...I know when anyone goes into hospital it is just a factor that can happen (not dying but obviously you can pick up an infection), we all take a gamble but don;t we when we use our cars everyday too? My surgeon personally has a zero MRSA record for his entire career at wrightington....I did have to have blood transfusion however but that's as bad as it got for me...
    I tried and when faced with a difficult situation I think I dealt well with it, I have to explain why I was out of work so cannot avoid this scene in further interviews.

Elainexx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    It was probably just a reaction Elaine, for what you have said you seemed to me to do really well, keep an open mind, good luck I wish you well...........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    Hi Elaine,

what a great answer you gave when presented with the steak card and you got the colour of the wine right (I probably would have fluffed that) well done you! :lol:

The interviewer was very wrong to tell you and I am sure she will be regretting doing that :oops:

I hope you get the job I will be keeping everything crossed.

Take care,

Trish xx
  • numptynora
    Don't dwell on it Elaine, poop happens, onward and upwards :D Just remember, You handled it well.
    Numps x
  • elainebadknee
    Marie

I don't know she mentioned as well would I fit back into retial as had explained I came out of it as my knee would only last so long, hence my admin career change...Who knows what she thought, it was an unexpected curved ball..

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Trish

Well she laid out about 30 cards with food on them and I thought she meant pick out a meal so I was going for steak and potatoes, mushrooms....I apparently didn't say the meat was locally sourced but how would I know that unless I worked there, it isn't always labelled that clearly....I do get all the odd situations me!

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Numpty

I dont know how I did honestly. Plus when was coming out a girl who works there and for some reason doesn't like me, not done anything but she draws dirty looks, was just starting her shift so she would have said "hope you don't employ her"....
    Never mind..

Elainexx
  • numptynora
    Elaine

She's someone to be pitied, the best thing to do if yo can is, when you are offered the job, go in with a gert great smile on your face and be pleasant to everyone including her....if you can!! :wink:
    Numps x
  • elainebadknee
    Numpty

Who is to be pitied? The girl who draws me dirty looks? Its all immaterial anyway cos I don't think I will get the job for two reasons, 1. the wrightington thing upsetting the woman 2. she doesn't think cos I have been out of retial for a bit I can go back oh and 3. the dirty looker's comments..

Elainexx
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    For what it's worth Elaine I don't think the location of your operation was relevant to the interview and so the woman only had herself to blame that it had bad memories.
    I know you don't want to get your hopes up about the chances of getting this job, but it does seem to me that you are being a bit too negative about the experience. After all you got upstairs for the interview, which wouldn't have been possible a while back, you answered the questions and did the task set, and didn't get completely derailed by the unprofessional hospital issue. The girl who doesn't like you wasn't interviewing you, and as such doesn't have anything to do with the selection process.
    It was an interview - result, you got through it - result, it's more experience for future interviews if needed - result.
    Here's hoping you are successful.
  • elainebadknee
    Daffy

Well Im a realist and have attended enough interviews to know when they go well or they just stutter and stumble...That one yesterday was the latter...I reminded her of a time when her mum died and she probably doesn't hear about it everyday/week/month and there I come happy that I've been there and it makes her depressed. I may have gotten up the stairs but I would struggle with them on a daily basis, its two full flights and my knee isn't that great to handle that...The girl who doesn't like me for whatever reason, she has worked there for years and people do listen if someone takes a dislike...I honestly don't know why, she used to be friendly then I was aware of dirty looks and avoid her till ever since...
    What people don't realise is that if you have a lot of negative interviews that is bad for the morale, worse than fewer interviews.....
    I doubt I will get an offer anyway...

Elainexx
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Hi Elaine,Please try not to worry to much ,I think you will get ,and if you dont well ther will be other opportunitys,The issues she has re her mother are very sad but nothing to do with you,in one way she could think you did well and there was no blame for the reasons her Mother died.Glad your new knee is pretty good and thankyou for good advice re winter operation GOOD LUCK re the job but dont be sad if you dont get it its their loss .......Marrianne x
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Hi Elaine,Please try not to worry to much ,I think you will get ,and if you dont well ther will be other opportunitys,The issues she has re her mother are very sad but nothing to do with you,in one way she could think you did well and there was no blame for the reasons her Mother died.Glad your new knee is pretty good and thankyou for good advice re winter operation GOOD LUCK re the job but dont be sad if you dont get it its their loss .......Marrianne x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    the girl who gave you dirty looks-you never know they might find her lazy. un co-operative and can't wait to get rid of her so her opinion counts for nothing.

As for the lady interviewing you, did you sympathise with her? she has lost her Mum and needed to talk about it, although I agree during an interview is not the best time and place.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Marianne

Out of all the jobs I have applied for this one is the least one I would be disappointed about getting, I have been out of retail for a bit and do know how strange the public can be, don't get me wrong I've been there, done it but I need to attend these interviews to conform with being a jobseeker. Having said that I don't go along half heartedly and always turn up well turned out and polite..
    I could have gotten MRSA and someone who was at my swimming aerobics class got an infection but that is just a risk we take when we go for surgery...

Glad to have been of some use re the winter operation.

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Elizabeth
    I dont slag people off jus for the sake of it and she must be a good worker cos she has been there a long time...I would love to know why she dislikes me as we used o joke about football at one time....Its her problem not mine..

elainexx
  • tkachev
    If she dislikes you without any obvious reason she might just be that sort of person and be like that towards her fellow workers. They wouldn't listen to her and anything she said could go in your favour.

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Elizabeth

Well they were interviewing all day saturday then deciding who they liked. A CRB check takes 2 weeks but surely they woul only CRB the ones they wanted to employ, so wouldn't they get in touch with you first and not CRB check everyone who applied? So i think if had been successful would have heard yesterday or today, may be very wrong but I doubt it....

Elainexx
  • tkachev
    I think the CRB rules have changed recently because I didn't need one at all for my carer last year. I'd give it a few more days Elaine.

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Elaine sorry I have only just seen this..talk about unlucky, but I am sure all this will change very soon....sounds like I have psychic powers..but I just feel it in my bones..if you don't get this job there will probably be a better one on the horizon :) good luck x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Elizabeth

Not sure they have changed, any job I have gone for recently its been CRB this, CRB that and a hospital post they wanted to charge me £44 if had been successful.....

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Barbara

Well thanks for your phsyic powers but I don;t think I will get it...I could just use some money its christmas coming up, I have cut back and Im still struggling like hell..

Elainexx