More expenses beckon.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 13. Nov 2013, 13:52 in Community Chit-chat archive
I am ringing house removal firms today for quotes for our soon-to-be-here move. :shock: I will fund the move (thanks to the first part of my inheritance) but am fully prepared for more fleecing. Apparently one has to buy the boxes etc from them if you wish to pack in advance - which I think is what I want to do, that way I can pace myself and do things in my own way and in my own time.

What a rollercoaster of a year, one major op for 'im indoors, two bereavements for me, two house clearances and one move; it's been one of the most expensive years we have ever had. We will not be spending any money at all in 2014 mostly because we won't have any left. :lol: DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Its always a good idea to pack your belongings yourself as things are known to 'go missing'. Its quite a common problem so keep an inventory. it will probably work out cheaper to purchase the boxes yourself.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    I hadn't thought about that aspect of it, tkachev, so thank you for the head's up. I have one quote over the 'phone, one company wants to come and see the current abode, the third one is going to see the new abode to assess accessability as well as coming here to 'measure up'. He sounds the most thorough of the three, so I'll see. Now to tell The Husband about my morning's acitivites! :wink: DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    DD I agree with Elizabeth...try and pack your own things ..not easy I know this is what you pay them for :roll: ...I hope it all goes smoothly for you x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Things are moving on a-pace. We had an 'un-solicited' viewing on Wednesday and another just now. We're not on the market yet but the agents who are dealing with our purchase are mentioning the house to their 'buyers'. Yikes! If we could find a buyer without having to market ours that would be a result. (Can you spot the lazy woman of the house? :wink: )

I've informed Mr DD about my morning's activities, he approved. :roll: How else does he think we will find a firm? :) We are approaching a couple of major issues from very different directions so this week-end there could be ructions at Daisy Towers. DD
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    when we moved we got our boxes from the c... shop.
    good luck with it all.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Well, I've spent a very entertaining 90 minutes with a candidate for moving us (probably the best candidate 'cos he is 6' 5" :wink: ). I liked him, his approach, his manner and he said that if we pay cash other - ahem - 'costs' will 'vanish'. :wink: Mr DD will like that too. He is ex-army, as is his crew, his packers are women 'because they know how to treat stuff' and he took the time to check out where we are going before coming to where we currently are. He also said that if I ditch Mr DD he will happily come and live with me at No. 10 because it's a lovely house. No chance, mate. There's only one man I want to share my life and you ain't he (despite being so wonderfully tall).

I am shattered. Yawn. DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    That sounds a really good service they offer not withstanding being propositioned ! Mig
  • Jennifer81
    Jennifer81 Member Posts: 30
    Sounds like a lot of stress just finding a removal company! Have you thought bout asking supermarkets for spare boxes to save money? I've done this in past and most are quite obliging. Plus some boxes can be extra large. I know this won't be the best idea if you don't have transport from supermarket to your house with a load of boxes.

Hope your move goes well when it finally happens, sounds like you've had a tough year.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Boxes for house moving are one of the categories of things that go the rounds on Freecycle/Freegle, also bubblewrap for same.There were batches of boxes that had quite a busy life to judge from the postings!
    Banana boxes from the supermarket are useful as they are strong once the lids are on and stack really well. Just watch out for the gap at the bottom that they tend to have - there's often a spare bit of cardboard inside that covers it nicely.
    Just a thought before you finally decide on who is doing the removal - insurance - for breakages, public liability etc.Might be worth checking the small print?
  • dreamdaisy
    Well, The Husband has totally floored me by saying that he wants to go with the local firm who have, so far, quoted the highest fee. This is totally out of character for him so maybe it's a sign of the stress he is feeling - or the fact that I am paying! :lol: We managed to get to the Fat Cat but didn't stay too long; yesterday was emotionally trying for me and I couldn't stand the noise as it became busier. We came home and he watched the rugby so I missed the majority of Strictly. No matter, it's only telly. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    The piano removers went round today only to discover they can't get the old girl out of the house via the front or back doors, so a locksmith is being brought in to dismantle the strong locks on the French door in the sitting room so that can be opened. Another cheaper lock will be fitted to aid security. Then there's the cost of the glazier to repair the damage caused by the pigeon and money to be paid to a pest-control person to get rid of the squirrel. I reckon I can kiss goodbye to the best part of £600 for all of this. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    I received my late Ma's gas and electricity bills yesterday, both based on estimated readings. Somehow she's used a great deal of both despite being dead. :| I have sent in accurate meter readings taken today so hopefully the amended bills will be a little more reasonable. DD
  • Jennifer81
    Jennifer81 Member Posts: 30
    My friends dad had died 6 months ago but they still got a bill in for use age after he passed away! Shocking!
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I am sure the bills will be sorted now that the readings have been submitted xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    I received my late Ma's gas and electricity bills yesterday, both based on estimated readings. Somehow she's used a great deal of both despite being dead.
    That's the trouble with going up rather than down, the heating's not as good!
    At least the bills aren't direct debit so the power companies have an incentive to get correct ones out to you, rather than being able to sit on the money.
    Reminds me a bit of the time I found that my mother had apparently been making calls to Spain from the flat she had been moved out of a couple of months previously.Fortunately I had written evidence that the line was supposed to have been blocked...
  • dreamdaisy
    We persuaded Ma to switch to quaterly bills about a year before she died - she was paying over £100 pounds per month and ended up with a massive credit which they would not return. Mr DD sorted them out on that front. Mum tried but she found the whole 'press this and press that' button far too confusing because she couldn't see the buttons. :(

The house is sold but now it's in the hands of the lawyers. Yawn. Mr DD's mum's house was sold in August but, despite the lack of chains anywhere in the process it will only be completing next Monday. I sold in October so maybe by January I will be done and dusted.

I do have some sympathy with these companies, I know Mum has died and they 'do' too, inasmuch as they are sending the bills to the Executors of the late Mrs . . . . but there's no link between the theory and reality. And why would there be? They are automated and ergo uncaring. What I find irksome is the lack of an option for 'If you are ringing on behalf of a deceased person please press 9 and we will deal with you straight away rather than causing you further distress.' Nah - keep me hanging on for twelve minutes whilst telling me how to organise meter readings and telling me I am important. I have no interest in the former and luckily, regarding the latter, I know I'm not. DD

PS I forgot to say 'thank you' for replying. I apologise. :oops: