Knee Revision - has anyone had this?

Kenco1
Kenco1 Member Posts: 4
edited 13. Nov 2013, 15:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I have already had L and R knee replacements, now the right knee needs a revision op. I have been advised to try & talk to someone who has been thru' this as I understand results are not as good second time around. I live in Bristol & my op will be done at Southmead Hospital. Is anyone willing to share their experience please. Many Thanks.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello kencot and welcome to the forum. I had a knee revision about 3 years ago. It's been brilliant - even better than its predecessor. I will answer properly tomorrow as I've only just found your post and I'm very tired tonight but, for me, it's been good news.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Hello again, kenco. OK,my situation might be different from yours but, for what it's worth:

Mine is RA. I had both knees replaced originally in 1981. They did a great job and I still have one of those TKRs. It not brilliant - in fact my orthopaedic surgeon described it recently as 'totally knackered' but it's not painful and does still do the limited amount of work I ask of it.

The left one veered off it's moorings and went walkabout 4 years ago. I was told there was always a bigger, ongoing risk of infection with a revision. It's a much bigger implant and it needed bone grafts but I've had no problems at all with it and it looks beautiful on x-rays.

Because of my widespread RA, I don't ask too much of my knees but I do exercise daily to keep the muscles in good nick.

I think I am very lucky to have an excellent surgeon (I know nothing of Bristol. I'm in Yorkshire) and I'll have no hesitation in having the other one revised as and when it's deemed necessary.

I hope this helps but, if you've any further questions, don't hesitate to ask :)
    Steven Wright
  • Kenco1
    thank you stickywicket, my condition is OA but I have found your message very encouraging and helpful.my main concern is the bone graft and also the possible infection of MRSA.
  • stickywicket
    I'd no problems with the bone graft. My hospital now gives you some stuff to bath in and wash your hair in before admittance to ensure you are MRSA-free. Having been on immuno-suppresants for my RA for over 10 years, I'm used to lots of hand-washing, anti-bacterial wipes etc. I take the wipes into hospital and use them a lot. I've had two TKRs, two THRs and one knee revision and the only minor infection I've had was on the old TKR itself when they removed it. I was given 6 weeks antibiotics as a precaution but there were no problems.
    Steven Wright
  • Kenco1
    Thanks again Stickywicket, this is helping me to get over the fear of the 'unknown' and come to terms with the op and not dread it so much. In August the wife & I stayed just outside York near Monks' Cross in our caravan - wish I'd met you for a chat then! Cheers, Kenco
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Kenco
    I am glad to see that SW has given you some advice..its so good to talk to people that have been through it..I just want to wish you well with what ever you decide.
    Love
    Barbara