Farewell Daisy, Hello Beatrice.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 17. Nov 2013, 07:49 in Community Chit-chat archive
My belovéd little blue car and me are parting company, and I am sad. Mr DD bought her for my 50th birthday because I was struggling to drive the Zeddy that I had 'inherited' from him. (That was a Citroen ZX, a big, clunky old diesel.) Daisy has served me well for the past four-and-a-half-years but now, as I further deteriorate, she is becoming more and more unsuitable. She is too low, getting in and out is increasingly painful, and the driving position is no longer as comfortable thanks to the ankles, knees and sacros. She is a three door and I struggle with getting the Clatterator in and out (it doesn't fit in the boot). It's all a bit too much so I did some research and last Saturday I bought myself a new car; I get her tomorrow.

She is a silver Citroen C3 Picasso, just under fourteen months old and with less than 6400 on the clock. She is five door and the Clatterator fits in the boot. I have to climb in (bliss!) and getting out is far easier (gravity-assisted). I have taken her for a couple of long drives - the salesman is also the Motability advisor and knows his stuff when it comes to those with mobility issues. Her seating is very flexible, even the rear seats are on runners, she has air-con and cruise control which will be a boon on motorway or dual-carriageway journeys. She will see me through to the end of my driving days.

It is all thanks to my late parents that I have been able to buy her and I am very grateful to them for all their hard work and effort throughout their lives. Thank you, Mummy and Daddy. I know that my Pa would be delighted (and comfortable in her even though he was 6' 4") and that Ma would love the colour. My sports masseur is having Daisy for a nominal sum and the hand-over will be done tonight at 5pm. Gulp. Daisy and me had one last run out to Orford, then a spot of lunch in Melton, then I had her cleaned thoroughly inside and out. Bye-bye little blue car, hello to a much bigger silver one. I won't try to get it on the drive just yet, not until I am used to the size! :) DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Must admit DD I swallowed hard when I read your post. Mig
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    Enjoy your all singing. all dancing new car DD I'm sure she will do you proud. Can she fly? :roll:

Trish xx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Goodbye , Daisy , you've been a loyal and caring motor . Welcome to Beatrice ; you know the saying : new home , new baby !
    Jillyb
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Good on you DD enjoy Beatrice :lol:
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Ooh DD, does this mean you will change your name to Dreambeatie ?
    I hope you have many happy, safe and comfortable journeys in her.
    Numpty
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    You enjoy DD..its strange how we can get attached to our cars...I would hate to see the back of our 12 year old....
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I hope Beatrice serves you as well as Daisy, happy motoring...........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD and Beatrice
    i'm sorry DD you had to let your lovely Daisy go. good luck and happy motoring with Beatrice.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    As my dear old Mum would have said - Daisy has 'done good service'. It was the highest, and very frequent, tribute she could pay to anyone or anything. Admittedly, she used the phrase more about things - an old tablecloth or a favourite bowl - but she had a point. Daisy has been very good to you. I'm sure Beatrice will now grasp the baton and continue to 'do good service'. Well done, ladies :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    How lovely that you have a newish car and a seamless sale of Daisy. No strangers coming round to talk you down and write iffy cheques.

I know when my Mum died I was able to pay for the extension on the house and often say thank you to her and Dad (for his sensible purchase of a house in 1966 even though they had a 4 bed council house). They made my life so much more bearable I was able to have a shower room just at a time my pain went through the roof.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. Today started quietly because I was not feeling that excited but around 11.30 (and unexpectedly) the magic began to happen. I was collected at 11, then sailed out of the showroom at just after noon feeling both competent and confident. I took Bea home, filled her with stuff for my friend Wendy's Greyhound Support boot sale, went to Wendy's, dropped off the stuff and then we went out for lunch. We hadn't met for a few weeks so that was good.

I then came home and unloaded the bits of shopping I had done. Then I decided to bite the bullet. I parked her on our drive at the first attempt, thanks to sitting higher and having a better all-round view. I did, however, move two of the three wheelie bins just in case. :wink:

I confess I am grinning like a loon. I keep flicking the car key open and have discovered I can unlock her from her bedroom window. :D Sometimes I couldn't unlock Daisy despite standing next to her. :lol: When driving once you hit 8 miles per hour all doors automatically lock, which, as I am usually a solo-female-driver, is a comfort. I not only have cruise control, I also have a speed limiter which will be useful for town-centre driving as she is a little tricky to keep under or on the limit. I need to practise engaging both modes.

She is shiny. And the engine is immaculate. :shock: Life has become a little more pleasurable and I am trying not to feel too guilty about it. I have repeatedly looked at a wedding picture of my parents, taken on 09.12.1945 where they are both smiling as they cut their cake (made by my Ma's big sister).

We are moving on 09.12.2013. Crikey. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Welcome welcome Beatrice :D

DD I am very very pleased you have such a lovely, reliable, safe as well as rather swish looking vehicle. Your Ma and Pa would be very pleased with your choice.

Enjoy all the fun you will have getting your head around all the 'extra- bits' you now have :D

Drive safely now

Love

Toni xxx
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    How very apt that your moving day should be the same date as your parents' wedding. They were starting a new chapter in their lives and so will you be. Have a cake, some bubbly, and their photo to hand on moving day to carry forward good memories and quiet remembrance.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I keep flicking the car key open and have discovered I can unlock her from her bedroom window.

:shock: She has a bedroom with a window? Crikey! Does she offer you a nightcap before whisking you away somewhere lovely :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    Well spotted Sticky. :lol::lol::lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    How the blazes did I miss that one? :shock: :lol: I meant 'our bedroom window'. Je suis une twerp.

It's an early start in the DD household, a trip to the dump is beckoning him, laundry beckons me. Oh thrills. DD
  • mig
    DDs passion wagon ! Mig
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I keep flicking the car key open and have discovered I can unlock her from her bedroom window.

:shock: She has a bedroom with a window? Crikey! Does she offer you a nightcap before whisking you away somewhere lovely :lol:

Eeee you're that sharp you are lass :wink:
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Glad your enjoying Beatrice! You will keep finding new gadgets everyday! I know with our new Sally my OH is still finding new gadgets on his and it's like his birthday everyday!! :D