Moving to be closer to work

Jennifer81
Jennifer81 Member Posts: 30
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has moved house so they can be closer to their place of work?

My work is only a 45 journey but because I have a 10 min walk to the train station then have to use the Overground, tube then the DLR, by the time I get to work I am shattered! I feel like I have done a marathon and that my leg is due to drop off! This makes for a very uncomfortable day. (I have arthritis in hips)

I am now seriously considering moving closer to work to have a shorter commute. Or even close enough so I don't even have to commute!

Comments

• Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have not done this but if/when i get a job( too ill now) I want to be near to the job as I think the travelling there will kill me not the job.
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • Jennifer81
    The travelling is taking it out if me, I'm shattered when I get to work abd sleeping sometimes by half 7 at night!

I've been off work for 2 weeks, back on Monday. I've been looking at places closer to work so I think I should start making viewings.
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Yeah that is not a bad idea. It is all about being the most comfortable you can be I think.
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    I moved jobs to be nearer to home to avoid a 40 minute drive each way!
  • Jennifer81
    Do you just walk to work now? Places I am looking at are a 5 min walk away which I can deal with.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It makes sense to move but that goes to prove just how expensive (and disruptive) our lives can become. I was extremely lucky in that I was self-employed as a mobile tutor for dyslexics but as my mobility decreased I was able to switch to working at home. Some of us don't know we're born, yes? :wink:

I think you are doing the right thing and I hope you are successful in your search. Good luck with it all. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben