why are people so rude ??

Turbogran
Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
edited 18. Nov 2013, 16:56 in Community Chit-chat archive
Why is it that some people think that because you are older and less mobile and need help with walking that they can be rude and abusive
was told on Wednesday by bus driver that I had to move out of the disabled area to let a baby buggy in because my walker was nothing but the baby was a life the thing that got me was that I was on the bus first. the buggy came on after. when I refuse he ordered me out or he was not moving the bus then proceeded to stand the aisle so that myself and the lady with the buggy could not move where we needed to and was very rude. I'm afraid at this point I was very naughty told him shut up in no uncertain terms with words that are not now allowed on forum. I am getting really annoyed with all this lately as I seems to be happening more and more. :x :x feel like hanging a sign round my neck saying I may be old and less mobile but I am NOT stupid. xx
Stay positive always👍xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I am sorry but I reckon I know from whence this stems.

We live in a society that reveres its younger members. I know from my own experiences that pushchairs are far more important than the other types of mobility kit - I reckon the 'thinking' (for want of a better word) runs along the lines of 'I have done the world a favour and created life. Your're old and therefore your life doesn't count.'

Ya think? Just you wait. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    This might be illegal, Carol. I remember a recent case of a man in a wheelchair being denied entry to a bus because the bus's wheelchair space was occupied by a buggy and the owner refused to take the baby out of the buggy so that it'd fold up. The wheelchair rider won his case. Why not take it up with the bus company? http://www.channel4.com/news/no-go-britain-wheelchair-user-wins-landmark-victory
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I am with Stickywicket on this one too.

This is not ok and you ought really to report the driver I am sorry but those disabled spaces are for people with disabilities not pushchairs. Grrr!!!!!

Love

Toni xxx
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    Hi Carol,

What a horrible experience! I think you should definitely report the driver that was disgusting!! :x

What's wrong with the girl with the buggy, my children would never behave like that? She should have carried her baby and folded up her pushchair and the driver should have helped her. The girl should have been mortified at the bus driver's stance. :roll:

You did well to stick up for yourself I would have been reduced to tears being a whimp, ha ha :cry: !

I am so sorry that you had to endure this humiliating experience,

Take care,

Trish xx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I am with the rest Carol, I would report the driver, no wonder you lost the plot I think I would have as well.......................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Really feel for you , Carol , and understand the distress and anger it caused . I've definitely become stroppier with age and increased disability and truly can't understand why people assume that I'm a few pennies short of a shilling simply because I'm in a wheelchair . Even my rheumy last month ( top man in his field in sussex ) , ignored me and said to my hubby , " how's she been ? The bloods seem high . "
    Jillyb
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Carol..I have been on the bus when this has happened and felt so sorry for the lady with the walker...like SW says this might be illegal..I am glad you gave him what for ...
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Carol

Not a nice experience both by him and the mother of the baby. I would report him and would have given the mother a gobful too as if you would have banged her pushchair she would have torn into you all bells blazing!
    Please don't think that the age thing is applicable in younger people, if anything I'd say he got annoyed at you having the alking aid and it was causing issue for him spacewise. None of what you described was in anyway acceptable and a full investigation should take place.
    Well done for coping with such a horrible situation.

Elainex
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    It is getting worse these days, I believe discrimination to disabled people is at an all time high, I refuse to use public transport after an incident where I was on a bus and I pushed the bell for the next stop that I needed to get off at well in time for the bus to slow down and stop put he wasn't slowing down so I started to move forward and shouted 'excuse me driver I need this stop' as the bus passed it! He jammed on his brakes, cursing at me and I was thrown forward and landing on my face. I was so shaken and a young man helped me up. And now I use a taxi or the dial-a-ride scheme for disabled people and the elderly it's a door to door service run by the council. I made a complaint to the bus company and I have never heard anything back from them!
  • frogmorton
    jillyb1 wrote:
    Really feel for you , Carol , and understand the distress and anger it caused . . Even my rheumy last month ( top man in his field in sussex ) , ignored me and said to my hubby , " how's she been ? The bloods seem high . "
    Jillyb

Jilly that is BAD :shock:

I hope you answered for yourself???

Love

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    You poor thing. Why is pain so overlooked? I know it is difficult with juggling prams and babies but I'd much prefer to go back to the days when I had 2 little 'uns and a folding pushchair than the ones I have nowadays.

yes I would complain to the bus company.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Just to let you know , Toni , (frogmorton) , I am famous round sussex for speaking my mind ! My former rheumy wrote in my notes , " can be awkward , asks too many questions . " Don't know if it was my fault but he took early retirement a few years later ! Luckily my hubby is adept at refusing to answer on my behalf .
    Jillyb
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Oh boy, how disgraceful, and good for you giving back what you got (verbally) and people wonder why I drive every where

I'm going up to Cambridge next Sunday to see my sister, my son said it would be easier on the train, well maybe, but I prefer to be in charge of my journey and I don't have to suffer other people!.....Oh no, that reminds me I forgot to pick up his sat nav yesterday!!
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    That is awful. What a vile person!
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • frogmorton
    jillyb1 wrote:
    Just to let you know , Toni , (frogmorton) , I am famous round sussex for speaking my mind ! My former rheumy wrote in my notes , " can be awkward , asks too many questions . " Don't know if it was my fault but he took early retirement a few years later ! Luckily my hubby is adept at refusing to answer on my behalf .
    Jillyb

Jilly - I like your husband :wink: and Go you!!!

Love

Toni xxx