No heating!

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 23. Nov 2013, 15:47 in Community Chit-chat archive
There's no heating in my house and it couldn't be worse timing. I'm flaring and not well either. I can't face the thought of getting up in the morning feeling so stiff and cold. Any tips for the tomorrow morning please? I find the mornings tough enough as it is and my house is usually pretty hot!

Brrrrrr.

Comments

• Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    why do you have no heating
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    I would have a hot shower first thing, assuming you have hot water? Have warm clothes ready to put on and drink plenty of warm drinks. I can't have too much caffiene so I have been drinking hot water with a slice of lemon in it :D Hot water bottles are useful as is deep heat or heat spray for the cold stiff joints.

I hope your heating is fixed soon.
  • Starburst
    edited 19. Nov 2013, 14:33
    Colin1 wrote:
    why do you have no heating

Boiler has (probably) died a sad death.
  • Starburst
    Thanks, Suzy. Unfortunately, it's the boiler so showering is out. If they can't do anything immediately, we're going to camp out at a local Travel lodge. Not sure what we'll do with the poor doggy though. :(
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    My sympathies, Sophie. I don't function well in the cold either.

Lots of socks, gloves, toque and maybe an electric blanket or throw might help you? Can you heat one room with an electric heater for yourself? This is what I do if our heat source is out. It's expensive, but my system goes completely haywire in the cold.

Best wishes, hope it's fixed soon.
    Anna
  • Starburst
    Thank you, Anna. I have a little electric heater that smells like it might burn if left on too long but might tide me over from under the bed to clothes.

Giant chocolate chip cookies are good for warming the body, right?! :lol:
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    We were in the same boat a week ago ; council flat and our intelligent council decided to service all the boilers , hence no heating for a week ! It obviously hadn't occurred to them to do so during the lovely hot summer weather . I wore a few layers and a blanket and hot water bottle when it got extra chilly at night . I hope you soon get this sorted out ; it's miserable being cold .
    Jillyb
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hope you get it sorted soon. Mig
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Sophie are you not on a prioratry list because of your condition, lets hope you get it fixed soon, keep eating plenty of cookies :D .....................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hope you can get it sorted soon starburst, not good to happen when a flare is raising it's ugly head! All you can do for now is stay warm, any news on when it will get fixed?
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Oh how miserable for you, that happened to me a few years ago, a memory I wish I could forget!! A fluffy lady grow might help a bit? I got mine from Mat...an cheap too

I hope it gets put right soonest for you
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Well Sophie

you poor thing :(

I am hoping you survived the morning?

I also hope that they are going to fix your boiler very soon :?

love

Toni xxx
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    How miserable for you Sophie. I do hope the boiler can be fixed soon, otherwise it's a case of planning movements from one warm(ish)zone(aka bed!) to another carefully I guess, and use of hotties,wheat bags etc.
    BTW your electric heater will smell bad if it's dusty because the elements will burn the dust, or if it's a closed heater(like a Dimplex radiator) the dust will smell as it sits on the hot surface. A good wipe over and/or use of a vacuum may help.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Oh, Sophie, that's not good. Please make your health issues clear. You should get priority. I hope it's resolved soon. (((()))) (To warm you, up :D )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hope you're sorted by now. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Any news? It's absolute taters here so I hope you are sorted by now. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    All sorted, thank you. Houston, we have heating! :D

I slept in a hoodie, my big fluffy dressing gown and 2 pairs of thermal socks, so woke up feeling ok.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    :D:D:D That's very good news, Sophie. I hope the joints appreciate it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    That's very good news Sophie especially as the weather has turned Baltic, hope the joints are feeling better..........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • AvadaKedavra
    AvadaKedavra Member Posts: 33
    That is tough, It is awful when you have no heating. We have heating facilities luckily that work fine. We cannot afford to use them though. To stay warm I find a shower will set you off well, as long as you wrap up immediately after. I wear a hat as we speak, a jumper and trainers too. Not to mention a robe. Another good idea is to invest in a hot-water-bottle. To be fair my daughter has 3 so I pinched one :o.

It's a pink love heart one, but hey it's under my jumper so nobody can see! The last tip I would recommend. Although this could cost anything between 1-30 quid, is a foot-spa. I haven't got one yet, but will buy one with my Christmas money. That will keep you warm, I find that if you keep your head and feet warm, the body will then follow suit. Hope that helps a little.
    "The pioneers of a warless world are the young men (and women) who refuse military service." - Albert Einstein