blood test showed pernicious anaemia

Options
bridesmum
bridesmum Member Posts: 181
I had some bloods done a while ago and my gp was surprised when one of them showed pernicious anaemia although the same bloods showed I wasn't anaemic. She said it was probably something else going on and left it at that. Since then my fibromyalgia has worsened and I have been told that I have osteo in my left knee, lower spine and right hip. My query is does the fact that all my bloods I have had taken over the last several years show raised inflamatory markers perhaps mean I could have a different type of arthritis? And does the pernicious anaemia thing mean anything?

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello bridesmum,

Thanks for posting on ‘Chat to Helplines’.

You told us that following a blood test your GP said the results showed pernicious anaemia but also indicated you were not anaemic. It sounds like it’s been confusing, with your doctor saying ‘probably something else (was) going on’ with the blood results, but not clarifying what or following it up.

You said your blood tests over the years have shown raised inflammatory markers and asked could this mean you have a different type of arthritis. You asked if the result of pernicious anaemia means anything.

On the Helpline we are not medically trained and I’d suggest raising these issues again with your GP. You could ask her to clarify what the blood results and pernicious anaemia mean (and if necessary do further tests). You could also raise your question about the raised inflammatory markers - that you’re wondering about another type of arthritis. You said you’ve also been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in your knee, spine and hip and your fibromyalgia has become worse.

You could ask your GP about ways of managing the worsening fibromyalgia and the osteoarthritis – for example, other health professionals such as a physiotherapist or occupational therapist might be able to help too.
    The links below might also be helpful:

NHS Choices:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anaemia-vitamin-B12-and-folate-deficiency/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Fibromyalgia Association UK: http://www.fibromyalgia-associationuk.org/

If you'd like to talk things through informally and get some support at the Helpline, please do give us a call on: 0808 800 4050 (weekdays 10-4).

Kind regards,
    Susan
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    There are many types of anaemia
    My daughter who has ulcerative colitis and really unwell has an ok HB but had an added test for ferittin which is 10 it states on the blood forms that below 90 is a sign of iron deficiency anaemia and now waiting for an iron infusion but there seems to be no rush on their part Grrr
    If you are really concerned make an appointment with your GP ans ask them to explain it
    Best wishes
    Maria