House Offer - Cheeky!

elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 26. Nov 2013, 07:59 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

After having our house viewed twice by same person in last 3 weeks we finally heard back 2 weeks after they had been in touch and really wish they hadn't bothered...If it was my house they would be picking a window for a quick exit!
They have offered £10,000 below the asking price and for that they want our carpets and they are not just cheapo's they are all goodacre quality, bosch washing machine and all curtains which are fully lined...They think their insult reflects this within the offer (use the term loosely)....I had a feeling they would be cheeky but not this insulting....Oh and they also want to be in the house before christmas/new year which we cannot possibly do now as my sister has other family staying with her at festive period and that would have been only place we could have stayed short term...
I know Bubba will comment on this and if you do, is this normal practice? I said to me father "we are not selling to that woman at that price and we have been very patient with them"...Why is it the buyers are in driving seat, seems a biut cut throat to me....

Elainexx

Comments

• janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm afraid it is normal practice. They offer low, you reject, then they offer higher until you both hopefully come to a happy conclusion.

Having just sold my house, I found buyers would offer well below asking price. It seems to be the practice these days.

Good luck

Janie
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Without knowing what the asking price is it's difficult to know if it is a cheeky offer Elaine, but it is standard practice to start lower and work up as Janie says, unless you're in a property hotspot where you have to jump high to stand a chance.It's also a way to try and find out how keen to sell you are.
    As to inclusion of carpets etc, it's a case of if you don't ask you don't get, although in England at least the estate agent details usually say what is being/might be left.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I, too, think this sounds pretty normal. No-one pays the asking price. This is just an opening gambit.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Elaine, that is normal when I thought I had my flat sold two years ago the chap put in a cheeky low offer which I refused, he then came back with an offer I accepted, only for the deal to fall through at the last minute, I hope they come back with a better offer soon..........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I'm afraid because of the housing market you will find this is the way at the moment. You may find the people who have made the offer on yours had a lower offer on there's and down the chain. With Dad's house we had to reduce the price by £5,000 to get more interest because there was hardly any viewings and then except an offer £7,000 below the asking price. I have only ever seen a few go for the asking price of my days being an Estate Agent and that was when the housing Market was buoyant. I'm surprised your Agent didn't say when you agreed to the asking price of your house that the price is a guide to how much you would like and you then will get offers and that's how it goes. It is normal practice, you need to decide how much you really need towards your next step and what is the lowest amount you can except. Hope this helps!!
  • elainebadknee
    Janie

I know people go in lower naturally but I think ten grand lower plus extra's is cheeky...

Thanks for your reply.

Elainexx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    If they didn't want or like the property they wouldn't have put in any offer. This is hopefully just the start. Everyone wants a bargain so there's no harm in asking. Also they may be looking to rent it out so they always try it on as profit margins are important.

We also had a cheeky offer when we sold (which I negotiated up a little bit) but we had to move for work. I was glad to leave the carpets behind and start again at the new house.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Daffy

I wouldn't like to disclose the price on here, and can't answer your question if we are in a property hotspot? We did answer re the furnishings that they would be negotiable, but they seem to have ignored that.....We won't let i go that cheaply as we are not in a chain etc.

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee

I know nobody pays asking price but ten grand below I still feel is well cheeky....We are not in a hurry to sell...

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Bubba

Know through watching programmes on tv that if home has been on market for a while and buyer wants to sell quicker they will accept really low offer...Our asking price was put on and we said would go no lower than 5 or 6 grand below that otherwise we will struggle to buy our next home? Im pretty sure parents did say this to estate agents but it still seems viewers in the driving seat....I doubt they will come back with another offer but we cannot accept what they are offering.

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Elizabeth

They are not buying to rent, there is a suggestion the man is quite ill but I don't know why they would look to move if that is the case? I met them only once and didn't take to the woman at all, tried to answer her questions and be smiley but she was very abrupt and blunt...I think even if they upped it 2 grand that still be inaedquate.

Elainexx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think it's a buyers' market right now, Elaine, unless you live in London. I guess everything is relative but £5k - £6k doesn't sound like a lot of 'wriggle room' over a house and maybe your estate agent should have mentioned this. Have you considered trying a different estate agent? Some friends of ours did and sold theirs almost immediately.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee

Well I know when the estate agent came at first to value we spoke about the asking price the house is advertised with what we would realistically like the end offer to be so this has been discussed....I mean at no point did my dad think an offer ten grand below would be made not at this early point, yes if its on the market for ages but not now.....We will consider changing agents but they said about the same margins when we got a valuation from them too....Generaly the houses on our estate tend to sell quickly and not many have to be vastly reduced, next door sold theirs 3 years ago for just under five grand less than they put it on market for.
    I still maintain buyers can be a bit more civilised, negotiations can be made but if in the right manner...I still stick to my life motto "always treat others how you would like to be treated yourself" and that applies in all walks of life....

Elaine
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi Elaine
    Cheeky offers well 10 grand is nothing if its for a house over a million pounds but cheeky if its reasonably priced
    We had to drop ours by five grand which was a lot when the house was only forty five grand but we were desperate to sell so it was a case of needs must plus it was fifteen years ago
    I'm now never going to move again and I mean never! Even if I have to live downstairs! But who really knows what the future holds!
    Hey did you hear Atos have pulled out of their deal with the DWP? As there were too many people they deemed fit when I fact they weren't!
    Hope you are ok
    I don't come on here much so just thought I'd catch up and see how you are getting on
    Best wishes
    Maria
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Elaine I would say you stick to your guns...houses are moving now so gone are the day of silly offer...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Maria

No haven't heard about ATOS does this mean they are losing their contratc with DWP? I bet there is someone lined up who has been ATOS trained now though who are just as bad, it sounds too good to be true...
    If your'e not on here as much it must mean you don;t need to or pehaps your'e that busy?
    I do still think this offer is cheeky, the house is reasonably priced and if its ten grand too much for them then they should be looking at smaller properties! I get a feeing about this woman that even if we accepted a higher offer she would pull out at a later stage, she has done this before and I don't trust her one iota....I'd like us to sell to a lovely couple, someone who were warm and welcoming...I just don't want my dad to be taken for a ride, he is lovely but he can be a bit naive when it comes to matters like this, easily swayed...

Great to hear from you

Elainexx
  • elainebadknee
    Barbara

I think so too, not letting it go for a song! Houses on this estate always sell well an within a reasonably amount of time..When it's right we will know...All this has done is unsettle things at home now and I think it's rotten..

Elainexx
  • tkachev
    They would be aware that their offer was a lot less than you wanted but if you don't ask you don't get. The cheaper it is the more they can put their own stamp on it.

In order to sell the property you will need to put up with allsorts and eventually the right person will turn up. Its the law of averages.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Elizabeth

She hasn't mentioned christmas until today and has made another offer three grand more and no more and get this. She is not using the price as a bartering tool but becuase she cannot get in before christmas that is why she is unwilling to go higher...Um, hello? Estate aagents say it takes between 6 - 8 weeks to wrap up all the paperwork for selling home and we cannot go to live anywhere else now as my sister has other family staying over festive period so it's non negotiable...Still think she has a brass neck and would be quite willing to wave her off!

Elainexx
  • tkachev
    Sounds like she doesn't want to sound too keen but my guess is she will make one more offer around £5000 below asking price. Just say no until you are happy with the deal. However be aware that she may be one of those who threaten to drop out at the last minute unless you accept a lower offer.

Its a bit of a game this house selling/buying lark.

Elizabeth xx

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Elizabeth

No she is moaning that she doesn't have enough money to fork out another month's rent on her property but surely you have to give a month's notice and if she has already done that then that has been incredibly ignorant of her as she assumed we would just take the first offer and wheel her in ASAP? I mean rent around her is only up to £550-600 pcm so if she it taking about paying cash for a house she does have another month's rent...Methinks she is trying to push it to suit her raher than consider us...TOUGH!!!
    I am doing my best to urge my parents not to be pushed into this deal by this lady and anyway dad has looked on web and there is only one house in the price bracket if we accepted her offer but its way too small!! It's simply not right...

Elainexx
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    It does sound now to be rather more than just trying to negotiate a lower price. As you say getting possession before Christmas is unrealistic.
    BTW I didn't expect you to disclose figures, I was just saying that a low offer has to be seen in the light of the asking price to be able to form an opinion as to whether it's cheeky or not.
    Have you been able to look at Land Registry info for prices paid (as opposed to asking prices posted by agents)for similar property in the area, as it can be helpful when deciding what's a reasonable figure to settle at? Estate agents' views can be skewed by things like commission!
  • elainebadknee
    Daffy

No re the price we were told to put it on a bit higher as they would offer lower but we didn't expect ten grand (sounds like a parrot don't i)? We simply cannot do what they wanted to and if truth be told if it was done in a different way, if we had met them more and they were personable but they haven't factored in the furnishings normally you negotiate a few hundred pounds for them but they have ignroed....
    Land registry might be a good hint thank you...

Elainexx
  • tkachev
    Well the rent is her problem not yours, you only have to consider whether the offer is good enough to accept. If she is in such a rush then you have the upper hand,

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi Elaine
    I don't pop in much after I feel the moderators were heavy handed regarding the naughty word ban
    I'm 50 and don't want or need to be treat like a child
    Plus my daughter is really poorly so all my attention is on her
    It seems to me this woman is making all the demands and if you are not desperate to sell just let her know its on your terms not hers but ever so politely!!
    Why can't so buyers be civilised as I mentioned before the woman buying ours turned into,a psycho witch! But we put up with it as we were desperate to sell
    Best wishes
    Maria