Nausea

valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 27. Nov 2013, 05:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Pain for almost 4 weeks with flare and have got lots of advice and help on this site. I am now back again.....I saw doctor and he gave me Tramadol for the pain.....it has helped and I am taking 2 .....2/3 times a day but nausea is not good and I am having to force myself to eat. Any suggestions please.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've only done tramadol once after being in hospital and i wouldn't do it again for that reason. Despite taking it with food I always felt nauseous. I went back to cocos asap.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    Hi Valde,

so sorry that you have such awful pain. I was very nauseous when I first started on Tramadol but my system got used to it after a couple of days.

thinking of you,

Trish xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Tramadol is a strong opoid (morphine-based) and nausea can be a result. This is one of the troubles with the stronger med, a pleasant side-effect free remedy that sorts everything once and for all is not available - well, not yet. It's all about compromise and we are the ones who have to do just that. We all have our different levels of tolerance and it may take a while to sort out what is right for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Sorry to hear you are in so much pain, like trish when I was on tramadol the nausea subsided the longer I was on them, hope it does for you to................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I get nausea from a couple of my meds (good ol' side effects!) so my G.P prescribed an anti-nausea medication. It does help and makes it easier to get on with my days!
  • valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    Thanks i will stick with it to see if my body gets used it. Did any of you find ginger biscuits ginger tea or peppermint tea helped
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I have nausea from a gallbladder problem. I take ginger anti-nausea capsules that work quite well. Ginger ale works too. I'm not sure why but applesauce also seems to help.

I take tramadol but I guess I'm fortunate as I've never had any side-effects.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    I find peppermint tea helps with nausea from methotrexate.

Deb x
  • Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    I have never had Tramadol, but I do get nausea. I find ginger beer can help and I don't usually drink fizzy drinks other than tonic water. Also, small amounts of carbs regularly. Dry crackers seem to help. I have cut down on dairy and coffee and that seems to help.

I hope it soon improves and your pain eases.

Susie
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Ginger beer and ginger biscuits helped when I had sea sickness on a cruise once. So it's possible it could work with your nausea.