A little over two weeks' sorrow to go.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 28. Nov 2013, 17:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
We bought this house, which is spread over three floors, in June 1996 when life was good and it suited our needs. My little business was just over one year old and the ground floor front room was an ideal location for the odd weekend home session for assessments. In April 1997 the first indications of arthritis began but I was told (repeatedly) it would go away. Oddly enough it didn't - I wonder why? :wink:

We married in the July of 1997 and I struggled through our honeymoon in Venice and Lake Garda. Once home I continued to struggle but would not succumb because I was still being told it would sort itself out. My business as a mobile tutor for dyslexics was eventually reduced by 2006 to my working at home, and then by 2009 lesson times were shortened due to discomfort and stamina (withmy fees reduced accordingly). More than one child witnessed me throwing up in the bin after one kick too many under the desk (male dyslexics are often very restless) which was embarrassing but sometimes people need to see the result of their actions, no matter how young they are. There are only so many times you can say 'Don't do that because . . . . '

And now I have only fifteen more nights to go. Fifteen more days of stairs, fourteen more days of stress and un-necessary effort just to do the basics and then I hit the joys of one-floor living. No. 10 does have an upstairs but that will be entirely his territory - on the ground floor we have two en-suite bedrooms, one complete with a bath which has a door. (The occupants prior to our vendor were both disabled so most of whal I need is there.)

We will move on 11.12.13. I am on a rather sad countdown because our current home was our first together but I am looking forward to a new lease of a more comfortable life. I may be able to fit a mobility scooter into the double garage so if I can't manage Bea at least I will still be able to get out and about. Life may improve. It's about time that it did. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Big changes ahoy, eh DD?! I do understand that this is a big step for you. I moved out of the house I'd lived in since I was 6 months old a year ago. It's always bittersweet to be moving on to pastures new. I hope that the new places brings moving about at home more easily.

Be kind to yourself.
  • purpleowl
    purpleowl Member Posts: 231
    Hi DD,
    it's always sad to leave a home where you've had such wonderful memories but your new abode sounds wonderful! :D I hope you enjoy it as much as the old one?

Trish xx
  • thistlegirl
    thistlegirl Member Posts: 229
    Hi DD, lots of changes but it will be so much better.
    I moved from a second floor flat to a ground floor flat 7 years ago. Although I knew it would make my life easier I didn't realise how much. No more sitting in the car building up to getting up those stairs. "Popping" out for something became easier.

I notice the difference when I stay at my parents-over 2 floors, once I am up stairs I stay there!

You will take your memories with you and hopefully find everything so much easier over one floor. I hope your packing is going well.

Jenny
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Of course it is going to be sad DD at least you will have your memories, what a joy it will be for you with no stairs to contend with on a daily basis, it will be all worth it in the end. I hope you are still pacing yourself and hopefully not flaring your joints too much.............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Just think of all the lovely new memories you will create in the new place :D You'll be sad a bit, then the joy of one-floor living will overwhelm!

I am a tad green, as I have quite a few more times up and down my 15 step staircase today :roll: Ho Hum and ache.

You'll be much better off, DD.
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    We moved out of our family home of 22 years in 2009 and as we were moving abroad had to get rid of so much stuff. It took several weeks of sifting and sorting through our family of 5's accumulated memories. I spent an awful lot of time in tears as I came across long lost photo's, school reports etc. It didn't help that I knew I was making a huge mistake in leaving my children aged 23, 21 and almost 20. It had been a pipe dream to live abroad and now it had come to fruition I didn't want to go. We moved out of our house and as everything was being transported by container ship and wouldn't arrive for 3 weeks we moved in to my 21 year olds house (which we had helped him buy and furnish). Almost immediately I was struck down with gallstones and pancreatits and spent 10 days in hospital. I had my gallbladder removed on the tuesday, was discharged on the friday and flew out to cyprus on the following wednesday! I spent the first few weeks crying and then put our apartment on the market. We were home in the uk within 6 months. We looked for a bungalow on a property website, saw one we liked, sent my mother and my friend to view it, made an offer and moved in all within about 3 weeks!!!!
    I can honestly say that living in the sun isn't all it's cracked up to be. Since we came home in 2010, I have been diagnosed with diabetes which probably wouldn't have been picked up in cyprus as i wouldn't have had regular blood tests as I do here also my thyroid level changes quite frequently and my thyroxine dose has to be adjusted.I also had a cancer scare 7 months after coming back to the UK. It makes you appreciate our nhs.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Life is like a book you've finished one chapter another is about to start.Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    mig wrote:
    Life is like a book you've finished one chapter another is about to start.Mig
    I love this..its the words my late mum used to say...you will be sad DD but just wait till you are settled in your new home...far easier for you
    Love
    Barbara
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Sad days and yet exciting times DD. You will have so many treasured memories to take with you, but most of those aren't in the bricks and mortar, they're in shared experiences, hopes and dreams. Your new house will very quickly become your new home, and there will be many, many more memories built there as you work together to make it yours.

The freedom and ease it will give you are exciting, and I really hope that the move goes smoothly.

Deb x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I, too, loved our first house. I hated leaving wonderful neighbours behind but, like you, my knees needed a break. We've been here about 35 years now and I feel exactly the same about it except this one has been very kind to my knees.

Go and write the new chapter. It'll be good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and understanding. I think the speed of everything has finally overwhelmed me. Looking for a new house for us was the last thing on our minds, we saw this purely by chance in the estate agent's window and within a week of my first visit we bought it. It has everything we want so we're both happy. It felt like home as soon as I walked in on my first visit and Mr DD agreed when he saw it. The peace and quiet will be strange after seventeen years of living on a main route in and out of town! I'll be able to have pretty things round the front door without them being pinched. :)

His mum' house has gone. My mum's will be completing at some point next week. We have received the paperwork for our current house which we must fill in - I will take two sets of curtains and the white goods. Hey-ho. I know that I will feel the difference joints-wise within forty-eight hours, despite the challenge of moving. I cannot wait. We'll havde a house-warming in the Spring, you are all welcome! :) DD
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I know on one hand your sad to be leaving your house of memory's but you won't forget those times. Do you have a keep sake you can take from the house as a memory for you all? We have a plaster squirrel that we have put in our new garden and whenever I look at it all the memories of my old house come flooding back (all the good ones mind you!) I'm sure your going to make amazing new memories in the new home, especially with it more suited to your needs, you won't find life as much as a struggle as you used to. Where we live now is soooo much quieter than where we used to live, sometimes my OH will say 'hey can you hear that?' and I'd say 'hear what?' and he answers 'peace & quiet!!' It will be weird for a long time, I know I got used to the noise in our old house! I sometimes find I can't drop off to sleep because the noise from where we used to live was like a lullaby that helped me drop off to sleep!!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Moving out of a home that has significant memories always brings mixed emotions. My previous home was the first and only house we bought as a couple, we moved in when my daughter was just over one, and my son was born in the back bedroom. My decision to move took a long time to reach, not least because I felt it was being forced on my by OH leaving(the children had already moved out).However, having sold it and moved on I realised the extent to which it had become a burden, and was dictating the way I lived my life. Now I can enjoy memories of the good times and be glad someone else has the problems!
    You already have enough unwanted factors controlling aspects of your life DD without your home being another so I think it will be a relief to be somewhere that will fit in with you rather than vice versa?
  • Dakky
    Dakky Member Posts: 53
    Great news on the move and the practicality it brings daisy, wish you all the best in your new home.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello DD
    I know you love your house now but i'm sure you will love the new one just as much.
    a house is just bricks and mortar its the people that live in it that make it a home. we wish you many happy years in your new home.
    take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Well said, Joan. And there will be two lovely people living in it :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Good flitting DD as they say in these parts. Mat x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    i understand about leaving your home. ive been in my home for 10 years and its full of memories of the boys being born and growing up.
    as sad as it will be, heres to you making new memories and adjusting to an easier lifestyle. i do hope the move goes well and wish you the best of luck xx
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    'Our eyes are on the front of our heads because it is more important to look ahead than it is to look back.'

You're taking all your precious memories with you, and you'll be able to enjoy them all the more in a one-floor home!! :D

Moving house is one of the most stressful things you can do and you've have it rough for a while. Remember the relaxation that will come once you're in your new home together, it'll keep you going!

Love and lots of hugs hun xxxx
    Toots x
  • dreamdaisy
    Many thanks for all your kind words - as usual you are supportive and encouraging.

Yesterday I hit the first snag: my preferred removers surprised me by saying they could not do a single date in the week we need, having told me that it would not be problem. :roll: Another company is coming round tomorrow for an evaluation after the EPC chap has been (another £60 out of the chequebook). They assure me that we can be fitted in - as they gave the most expensive quote I am not surprised! :wink: So to cheer myself up I did the sensible thing, I went shopping for something sparkly. :D DD
  • ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    A girl can never have too many sparkles DD!
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Well done on the sparkly shopping- sometimes a little retail therapy is just what we need. :D

Hope the packing is going well.

Deb x
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Aww DD I think the excitement will overtake the sadness soon, especially once the movers are pinned down :wink:

Having been brought up in the Army I grew up moving every 2-3 years so viewed 'home' as where my family were but marrying 'the boy next door' who'd lived in one place his entire life I knew he wouldn't cope with my itchy feet!! So 4.5 yrs into our marriage we moved into this house & have been here since (nearly 22 years). I'd truly be sad to leave now so I CAN now understand, something which I couldn't have done for many years.

May your joints find some relief from pain, your heart be filled with love of n for ure new home as well as the lease on life it will bring you & your mind only be filled of good memories of your 1st home together & ure lives in it.

Sending half of my spoons to you coz you need them more than me at the moment!!

((((DD)))) Xx xX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x