Forum Announcements and Sticky Threads

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 2. Dec 2013, 08:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
How often do you notice or look at these? I confess I very often – maybe even usually - just scroll down past them.

I know I ought to check more often, just as I do with all other threads, but I think the very fact that they are added to less frequently, induces inertia on my part. Yet that's no excuse. This is the area in which we are invited to have dialogue with the Mods and webmanager and also where we can, occasionally, by responding to their requests, put something back in return for all that the forum gives to us.

Maybe those, like me, who are somewhat less than rigorous in responding to these threads, could explain why as that might help Arthritis Care to help us.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I check to see if any new comments have been added 2 or 3 times a week .
    Jillyb
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    sorry cant vote as only check Sticky Threads & not the Forum Announcement
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I keep a regular eye on these things because sometimes useful stuff is posted but I don't check on every single visit. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    I just click view new posts when I visit, and read those. Not sure where announcements or sticky threads are. :oops:
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    they don't stand out enough for me sticky, if I do notice I forget to go back and check
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    oops I'm another one that forgets about them...maybe they could have a different colour for the heading... :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    I've got to admit I skim down past them to the actual posts.
    New coloured icons and anything else that makes them stand out
    would help

Love
    Hileena
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    I just skip passed them, I think adding a traffic light system for the text/background would be useful.
  • stickywicket
    I'm glad it's not just me. I too feel they need to stand out more.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hello

Would you like this thread made "sticky" so that it doesn't vanish down the board over the next few days? :D

Mod B
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I admit I always scroll down or very rarely check them. They do need to be highlighted or made to mix in with the other posts but coloured as an announcement or sticky so the newer posts go to the top of the page. That way they will get noticed.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    moderator wrote:
    Hello

Would you like this thread made "sticky" so that it doesn't vanish down the board over the next few days? :D

Mod B

Judging by these posts, I think if you were to do this, no one would look at it! :? :lol:

I must admit, I rarely check sticky threads :oops:
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Mod B
    Thanks for your offer.......but would it make any difference.....the majority seem to skip over them anyway {myself included}

Hileena
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    A very interesting thread SW - mostly regular posters/visitors and very few including myself who give little more than a passing glance to the announcements.

I generally look the subject title and the date of the latest posts and if new I will only sometimes read if it grabs me. As I am one of the people who only reply if something interests me or if I think I can add something useful to the thread as opposed to the greater number of people who use the forum much more socially and contribute to many more threads.

Sorry SW I am drivelling, back to your question it is rather like how many women have ever in their lives read instructions on washing powder packets. :!:
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    We should all check them regularly as there could be some useful information there but I too don't think to check them . I click on 'unread posts'. Can't remember if the 'stickies' are posted there.
    Christine
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    I am afraid I don't look at them too often. So many have been there a long time so a few more added go unnoticed with me, sometimes. Perhaps like others have said they should stand out more - different colour or something.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    moderator wrote:
    Hello

Mod B

Thank you for the kind offer, Mod B but I think, as others have pointed out, it's more likely to be ignored as a sticky :roll:

I asked the question because I suspected as much. We clearly do need a better system for making new stickies and announcements stand out more. As it is they seem to be mostly regarded as a minor irritation to be overcome before one starts checking out the forum.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi everyone

I'm very interested in this thread as it gives a great view on how people use the forums. Just to add a little to the discussion, a recap of what many of you may already know:

If you visit the forums & jump in straight away by clicking "View unread posts" then you will see all posts that are new since your last visit: announcements, stickies & normal postings.

If you click to read a particular forum (eg. ChitChat) then the unread threads are indicated by red coloured icons on left-hand-side. This also includes the sticky threads.

When all posts in a thread have been looked at, the icon turns blue. Confusingly, the thread title (eg. "Forum Announcements and Sticky Threads" for this thread) will turn red depending on how you got to the last post...

I think perhaps the main problem is with the number of stickies and for how long they appear. This issue seems only to apply to the Living with arthritis forum. Here, there are currently 10 sticky threads. Happily, 6 of these are time limited (green dot on the icon) and they will become normal threads as their timer ends.

Hope this helps :)

Mod B
  • applerose
    Thank you Mod B. Looks like I can continue to use the forum as I always have and still see new posts in the sticky threads.
    Christine
  • applerose
    :lol::lol::lol: Not giving anyone a cat this Xmas but, if I ever do, at least I know how to wrap one now.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    Christine, I think you've just managed to reply here to my thread on Chit Chat :? :lol:

Mod B, thanks for your interest. I confess I rarely use the icons as there are so many and the hieroglyphs inside are so small. Currently, on LWA, I can see (by peering closely – and my eyesight is good):

A little red star with a little red something unidentifiable at one o'clock
    A little yellow star with a little blue something unidentifiable at one o'clock
    A little red star on its own
    A little blue square(?) with a little blue something else at one o'clock
    A little red square with a little red something at one o'clock
    What appears to be a red square with half of it filled in and a red blob at one o'clock

I never use them. Even with your explanation, it seems too complicated.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    Oops, sorry. How on earth did I do that? :? :lol:
    Christine
  • [Deleted User]
    <snipped & numbered below>

Mod B, thanks for your interest. I confess I rarely use the icons as there are so many and the hieroglyphs inside are so small. Currently, on LWA, I can see (by peering closely – and my eyesight is good):

1. A little red star with a little red something unidentifiable at one o'clock
    2. A little yellow star with a little blue something unidentifiable at one o'clock
    3. A little red star on its own
    4. A little blue square(?) with a little blue something else at one o'clock
    5. A little red square with a little red something at one o'clock
    6. What appears to be a red square with half of it filled in and a red blob at one o'clock

I never use them. Even with your explanation, it seems too complicated.

OK, I think from their description, these are as follows:

1. Timed sticky thread, with unread post(s)
    2. Timed sticky thread, all posts read
    3. Plain sticky thread, with unread posts
    4. Timed ordinary thread, all posts read (this one, probably)
    5. Timed ordinary thread, with unread post(s)
    6. Timed ordinary thread, with unread post(s) - probably the red square is a larger one which is supposed to be a folder: this indicates that there are a number of pages to the thread i.e. a long thread... :roll:

Complicated? [moderated by the mod after giggling and deleting a number of words]

Mod B
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I completely ignore the dots, colours and symbols. :oops: DD

PS Were your deleted words naughty ones? :wink:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    moderator wrote:
    Complicated? [moderated by the mod after giggling and deleting a number of words]

Mod B

Yup :lol:
    Steven Wright