Too young for a knee replacement

celebrationb
celebrationb Member Posts: 134
edited 2. Dec 2013, 19:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Went to the doc and the first doc told me i have oa thats it. The second doc said he still has not got the mri scan to see the knee. He told am to young for a knee replacement and just pysio and painkillers also naproxen and am also on amitriptyline for my leg too. Looking forward to my knee replacement in 10 to 15 years time
I have also a trapped fermol nerve in the same leg. Does the cold weather make oa more uncomfortable ( i dont say pain)?
Am 47 years old and run my own business which keeps in active also teach jitsu and i dont say train just a bit of exercise and kata and weapons.
Is this why am have to wait for years till am 57. am i to active?
I know i have it and have accepted it just get on with my life now.
Life goes on.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    This is fairly usual in my area but other areas seem to be more reasonable. I was told in 2011 when I was 52 that I would have to be 55 before I would be considered. I should have two new knees but things are now so bad with other joints as a result of this delay I honestly don't know if it will be worthwhile. It could also be that your knee is not yet bad enough to warrant replacement, you may feel it is but the docs may disagree. My cousin's wife had her first knee aged 18 but that was due to having bone cancer in her knee.

With an ageing population the demand for replacement joints is increasing, and because people have much higher expectations about what they should be able to do with their shiny new fake joints I expect surgeons are worried about having to revise joints after ten years or so. Knee revisions are more complicated as more bone is taken away from the tibia and fibia. If one is careful, however, replaced knees can last a good long while.

Does cold weather exacerbate things? Yes. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • celebrationb
    Thank you i just thought that i was told nothing and waiting that long was awful.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello and welcome celebrationb
    I am sorry you have had to wait like this...must say things do get dragged out sometimes..this thing about being to young I can understand ...but pain is pain..and how you are suppose to manage for so long is beyond me..I would ask could you have it in a couple of years..we do have a couple of young people on here with new knees..good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • celebrationb
    I ask the doc but wait till am older. so just keep going that all i can do . Pysio may work but the last time with the fermol nerve it hurt more afterwards.
    :(
    So keep active and keep going. painkillers if needed and hoping it does not buckle much.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi celebration

It is shame that you are not getting anywhere with having a TKR. I know the surgeons like to wait until it is unbearable for you. My only advice would be that if it starts interfering with your quality of life, keep on at the medics. That is unfortunately all the advice I can offer. I used to find that a heated wheatbag wrapped around the knee used to help me with the pain. Painkiller dull the pain for a time. I understand where you are coming from with the knee giving way under you too. Please, if this begins to happen that is another reason to start fighting for a TKR,also if the knee keeps you from getting a good nights sleep. I am sure the medics would not wish you to have to be in hospital with fractures because they will not operate on your knee. Sometimes we really do have to keep on at them, although it should not be like this.

If the knee is particularly troublesome it may be a good idea to keep a log of incidences and pain when and how bad and so on, along with dates. We never remember all these things later on and these facts that may sway the medics to operate earlier.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I have no experience of knees.....with me its hips. Here they tend to say you are too young.....my opinion is that you should be able to enjoy life when you are young and not have to wait until you are much older.
    OA.....its only the GP that deals with it until you need surgery.
    I've had one THR and waiting for the second one.
    Heat I find is good.....and yes the cold does make a difference.
    What about a TENS machine? some hospitals lend them out to see if they work for you then you can buy them....they aren't expensive. Don't work for everyone......they aren't great for me but now its getting colder and the pain is getting worse I'm going to fish it out again and give it another try
    Love
    Hileena
  • celebrationb
    Thank you all for advice and helping. It's hard as not long been told I have oa and the forum is great.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi celebration,

It is indeed a shock when dx with OA or any kind of arthritis and it is great there is this informative forum out there for us. I joined a number of years ago but have not been on here so much of late as others things have cropped up in my life! :roll: :wink:

I have had both knees replaced, one in 2008 and 2010. I have never regretted it one iota. I did have to wait a couple of years from when I first saw the surgeon. I shall be 63 years old at the end of this year.

I wish you well,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    I had both knees replaced 16 months ago, at the age of 63, after having gradually worsening osteoarthritis for about 15 years. To my knowledge, the reasons doctors are reluctant to do them, particularly at a relatively young age, are the following:-

1) They aren't always that successful. Only 80% of people are happy with their new knees. OK, people have different expectations, but that suggests to me that a lot of things can go wrong and often do. Out of the people I've talked to, and I did a lot of research, I met about 20% who wished they hadn't had it done or had serious problems afterwards. Those odds aren't brilliant.

2) As DD said, TKRs don't last forever. I was told 10-15 years, although some people on here have knees that have lasted longer than that. And, also as DD pointed out, re-doing them doesn't work as well, the op takes much longer, and the chances of success are less. So if you're young enough that you may have to have them re-done more than once...doesn't sound that good, does it?

Knowing about all this, I didn't even ask for TKRs till I was pretty desperate. but, since mine worked well, I now wish I'd had them done years earlier. But I was lucky....and I might not have been.

Good luck, and if you still want to have them done, keep on at the medics. The age for TKRs is rarely set in stone.
  • celebrationb
    Thank you all . It helps explain it more. It has been more uncomfitable this last week or so but we have been very with work and been on my feet more.
    Thank you
  • jewelgirl
    jewelgirl Member Posts: 3
    I know how you feel, I am 42 & I have been diagnosed with OA for 18 months now. After my scan I was told about the OA & that was it!! I have had no support from my doctors - I am trying to manage on ibuprofen, pain relieving gel & knee supports. HELP!! Please
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello again, jewelgirl. (I've just replied on your 'say hello' post.) The problem, for doctors, is that OA can't be cured, only managed by a combination of pain relief, exercise, a healthy weight and distraction techniques.

Did your GP prescribe both ibuprofen and pain-relieving gel? I ask because, if not, the gel may also contain ibuprofen and you could end up with too much. (Pharmacists are very good at advising about that sort of thing.)

You could also ask your GP for a pill specifically for pain to take in conjunction with the ibuprofen and also to refer you to a physiotherapist for exercises. Have you been instructed on how to use the knee support? They should be worn for short periods only, otherwise the knee muscles will stop working and the pain will be worse.

You might find Arthritis Care's booklets useful for info. You can access them by clicking on the 'Publications and Resources' button at the top of the page.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • celebrationb
    Hi jewelgirl . I was at the doc, he told me to keep active, keep doing what am doing. I am on naproxen which helps and painkillers if needed. I wear a knee support when teaching and so called training only. We have been very busy with my business so am suffering a bit more. Trying to stay positive thanks to everyone on forum for there advice :D