Hello, another newbie here!

neitshade
neitshade Member Posts: 6
edited 10. Dec 2013, 10:16 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, I'm Dave. I think I've had osteoarthritis for some years but, a couple of years ago, I just stopped myself falling on some ice, and I twisted my knee, and found I couldn't walk without a stick. My doctor diagnosed osteoarthritis, but luckily it has only really affected my mobility, and my main hobby at the moment involves sitting in my armchair colouring old black and white photos. My armchair is a riser/recliner, so I can stay in it for ages!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Dave. It's good to me you though I'm sorry about the OA.

Your hobby sounds interesting. My husband used to do that sometimes but I'm not sure how. I'm not sure sitting for long periods would be good for you though. They say we should keep getting up and moving about to stop things stiffening up.

Please look around and join in wherever you like. Living With Arthritis is where we talk about...er...living with arthritis :lol: and Chit Chat's for all other stuff. Have fun :areindeer:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • neitshade
    Thanks! It's an absorbing hobby, and I exaggerated a little. I do move around, but the recliner means that I can sit a little longer than I would be able to. I get more exercise when I'm at someone else's house as I just have to stand up from time to time!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support. Having said that I am in the throes of moving so won't be about too much for the next week or so. :lol:

I have OA in both ankles, both knees and my right hip plus another arthritis in many other joints as well as those. Your recliner sounds fab - I think I will be getting one of those soon once we are settled in the new abode. I also like the sound of your hobby - skill and subtlety are required, yes? I reckon that old photos don't lend themselves that easily to pop-art. :)

Right, I must creak downstairs to refresh my glass of strengthened grape juice. :xmas_cheesygrin: I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hello Dave

and welcome to the forums from me too :)

I hope you find them as supportive as I have over the years.

Sorry about the OA, but your hobby sounds very absorbing and hopefully a good distraction form pain.

Please do come along in and join us all on the other forums - I look forward to seeing you post :xmas_cool:

Love

Toni xxx
  • neitshade
    dreamdaisy, subtlety is one option, but you can do anything you want - just look at Andy Warhol's picture of Marilyn Monroe for example, or that iconic picture of Che Guevara that many students used to have on their walls.
    When I'm a bit more settled here, and know what's what, I might post some links, but they're all on the blog in my profile.

frogmorton, keep an eye on charity shops. I got a riser/recliner for £50 in one. My stepfather's got that but, when he bought a mobility scooter, he got another chair as a free gift, which he passed on to me. I like the one I've got, but his charity shop one is better!

Thanks all for the welcome.

Dave
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    neitshade wrote:
    - just look at Andy Warhol's picture of Marilyn Monroe for example,

I did, Dave, when there was a Warhol exhibition at the Lowry centre. I'd never seen much in it until I saw it 'in the flesh' so to speak and I was very impressed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright