Hi from a lonely sufferer

Options
Pfcalex
Pfcalex Member Posts: 7
edited 14. Dec 2013, 07:29 in Say Hello Archive
Hi,

I am a 41 year old mum of 3 and have had OA since I was about 15 but I never knew what it was. It wasn't until I needed a hip arthroscopy at age 34 that they diagnosed me with it - they had always told me before that the pain and stiffness couldn't possibly be arthritis because I was too young.

My OA has progressed to my feet, toes, both hips, back and neck and today I am feeling very much alone and sorry for myself. My GP is unsympathetic although she has referred me for a short course of acupuncture to see if that helps.

I have been taking co-drydramol and diclofenac increasingly often since my hip op 7 years ago and now that my neck is affected too I suffer from crippling headaches that no pain medication helps with.

I am lucky enough that I don't have to work because I have a very generous and loving boyfriend but unfortunately he isn't good with ill-health and he doesn't understand what I'm going through.

I have been looking for some kind of local support group where I can perhaps meet some like-minded people who will make me feel like I'm not quite so on my own. I am hoping this forum will help me, so hello all! :)

pfcalex

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi pfcalex,

I hope we can help you too :areindeer: Alas, we can't take the arthritis away (If we could, none of us would be here) but we can and do understand what it's like to live with it.

Unfortunately, quite a lot of docs still believe that OA only happens to old people though we have quite a few younger ones on here, even not counting those like myself who got their OA as a result of RA.

I know some have found acupuncture helps and I hope you do too. I guess all relief is temporary but still very welcome. Have you looked at Arthritis Care's publications? (Top right). There's some very useful stuff on healthy living and exercise. Have you been given exercises or referred to a physio? They help a lot as strong muscles support joints so the joints hurt less. They might help your neck but necks are tricky things so always take professional advice with yours. (Do you have a good mattress and pillow? I'd start there.)

No-one can really understand another person's illness or disease. It's important that we let our partners know how things are for us without moaning on all the time. Not always easy to achieve the balance.

Have you tried ringing our Helpline people? You might find them very useful. And we are always about (though not as much as usual right now). Join in wherever you wish. You'll be very welcome. I hope to see you around :noel:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Pfcalex
    Options
    Thanks ever so much, you are right, I should take better care of myself - at the moment I have been feeling so down about my health that I haven't been exercising but I know that I should.

We do need a new mattress so I will make that a priority and I will change my pillow.

I am sure I will be around a bit now, thank you for your kind words.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi Pfcalex

Lovely to meet you though you do sound to have it rough.

You are NO LONGER alone :xmas_cheesygrin:

We are all here each other on here and now that includes you too.

If you are looking for 'real life' support too then look above where it says 'in you area' and look on this map for your own local area. Then get ringing and see what groups might be on, which might suit you :)

This is the link if it works:

http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/InyourArea

love

Toni xxx
  • Pfcalex
    Options
    A heartfelt thank you x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How are you today, picalex?
    Steven Wright
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Hi and welcome from me. I get awful headaches from my neck and nothing was working until my gp gave me some diazepam. Strangely it works and I finally have some relief. I am going to be referred to a migraine clinic for more help, maybe you could ask as well?

With regards to the happy pills, I could not manage without them. I have SLE and secondary Sjorgens along with a boring collection of illnesses, my life has changed dramatically and they enable me to cope with a smile. I am sorry your gp is not more helpful. The lovely people on here are very supportive.

Take care
  • Pfcalex
    Options
    Thank you, I am unfortunately no better today but I did go for my first acupuncture session. I was so sore everywhere already that it was agony but the therapist was lovely and hopeful that after three or four sessions it really will help.

Hi suzygirl, poor you, it's no fun at all. I have some diazepam too but it doesn't always work and my GP isn't too keen on prescribing them. What is SLE?

You have all been so supportive on here, it's such a tonic, I don't talk to anyone about my arthritis.

Hi sticky wicket, it's been a hard day today but here's hoping tomorrow will be better!

Alex x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It does sound to have been difficult, Alex. I hope the acupuncture helps then it will seem worthwhile.
    Steven Wright
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Alex, I found the acupuncture initially made me a little worse then after a few sessions, I felt better and it lasted for a while. Certainly gave me more movement in my neck. Lets hope that it helps you.

SLE is systemic lupus an auto immune disease.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Glad you have been for physio today Alex and I really hope that after a few sessions the acupuncture helps you :)

Remember you are no longer alone ;)

Love

Toni xx
  • Pfcalex
    Options
    Once I had shaken off the usual morning stiffness and pain I actually have had a relatively pain free day which meant I could take my daughter ice skating for her birthday party. First day in 6 that I have felt able to function in any decent. I am not sure if it was the acupuncture that helped but I will definitely keep going with it.

Suzygirl SLE doesn't sound much fun either, how do they diagnose that rather than arthritis, I looked it up and there are lots of similarities. Are they linked in any way?

Alex x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Fantastic Alex!!

and a belated Happy Birthday to your daughter

t3305.gif

Let's hope it WAS the physio and next week is even better

Love

Toni xx
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Alex, a lot of the auto immune arthritis tend to start the same way with shared symptoms which is why it can be hard for rheumatologists to distinguish which we have.

SLE has to have 4 out of 11 criteria fulfilled including positive bloodwork for a diagnosis to be given. Such as rashes, arthritis, positive ANA and anti ds dna, raynauds, kidney or central nervous system involvement, pleurisy, pericarditis etc.

Also the pattern of joints involved, whether the damage is erosive, can be revealing as to other types of arthritis.

Glad to hear you had a nice time with your daughter.