tens machine

Options
Merlyn909
Merlyn909 Member Posts: 12
I am thinking of buying myself a tens machine to try to relieve the pain in my arthritic hip.Do these machines really help?

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    You have a few replys on your other post in LWA

Love
    Hileena
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Merlyn909,
    Thank you for the four forum postings. I’ll address these individually:
    • We are not medically qualified. Ibugel is a gel whose active ingredient is ibuprofen, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). The quantity and strength of ibuprofen supplied in the container will determine whether it is only available on prescription. Your local pharmacist can confirm if it is prescription only;
    • If the medication you are taking is not working or makes you ‘queezy’ speak to your GP. Although pain killers can help it is equally important to exercise those joints. Exercise can strengthen the muscles and tendons that support your joints and keep your joints moving and flexible. If you are new to exercise it is important to build up gradually and to listen to your body. As a general rule, if you still feel pain after two hours of completing the activity, it probably means you have done too much, and to seek advice from your doctor or physiotherapist to ensure it is safe for you. I am including a link for Arthritis Care booklets: http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets. You may find our booklets on coping with pain and exercise useful. I am also including a link to the Arthritis Research website for exercises to manage pain for specific parts of the body where you can download exercises for the neck and shoulder: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/exercises-to-manage-pain.aspx. Your doctor, or physiotherapist, can advise on exercise safety. A physiotherapist can advise on which exercises are specifically beneficial to you. You can get a referral to a physiotherapist from your GP.
    • Local steroid injections can give temporary pain relief for some people. How much relief and for how long seems to vary from person to person. For some people it works very well and can last for months, whilst for others it is minor relief or does not work at all.
    • TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) works by blocking or suppressing pain messages going to your brain. TENS machines can work well for some people. It is better to try before you buy to check whether it will work for you. A physiotherapist may be able to help. I am also including a link to Athritis Care factsheets, where you can download our factsheet on TENS machine for more information: http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets#cK45

If you would like to talk anything through, informally and in confidence, please give us a call on our Helplines (Monday-Friday 10am-4pm).

Kind regards,

Ümral