Just Joined, this forum may be the xmas present I need

Options
livingwithpain
livingwithpain Member Posts: 2
edited 25. Dec 2013, 07:25 in Say Hello Archive
Hi Everyone, its xmas eve and I have just found this forum, along with some interesting reading.

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the HIPS last year and will require one hip replacement if not both in the future.

This last month, I have also been diagnosed with osteoarthritis of my hand and both wrists

I have surgeon reports confirming this and I am having difficulty at work due to a manual heavy job. I am signed off at this moment and there is a good possibility I will be unable to return to my employment which makes me sick with worry. I do not know if arthritis qualify's me as disabled?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I won the ghastly lottery of being 'gifted' both sorts of arthritis (I have an auto-immune type and the joint damage from that has led to osteo in some rather useful joints) so I can empathise with your situation. I have to go and cook now but I didn't want your post to go unacknowledged. I hope you have a pleasant Christmas and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Welcome to our forums Livingwithpain :noel:

I am very pleased to meet you even though it means you also have arthritis :( OA is not a pleasant thing to have and you will find many on here in similar positions to you.

Arthritis, if severe enough can certainly qualify you as having a disability, but let's hope you can find some work to do which is possible with you health issues. If that is what you'd rather do. Stopping work can be hard, (financially and emotionally), especially if you are not near retirement age.

Please do come along in and join us on the rest of the forums wherever you like you will be most welcomed.

Love

Toni xx

PS MERRY CHRISTMAS :santa:
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Welcome to the gang. Things are tough for you at the moment but you will find help and support here from folks who have been there, done that and got the T-shirt!
    Living with Arthritis is the 'factual' bit and there's also the section on Working Matters which you'll find useful. Chit Chat will introduce you to some of the 'characters' and hopefully show you that there can be humour alongside the pain - and that seeing the funny side can be an excellent way of dealing with problems.
    Things will be a bit slow here due to the festive season - the demands of which do tend to challenge arthritic conditions - but do keep dropping in.
    We can't take away your OA but with luck we can help you cope with it.