Painful underside of big to

JackSprat
JackSprat Member Posts: 6
edited 30. Dec 2013, 06:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Have suffered with arthritis, with red dots and big lumps on my finger joints near the nails for many years. Have just acquired a very soar underside to my left big toe, been there for nearly two weeks now. This morning noticed the tell tale red dot on the joint. Never thought about getting it in my feet, obvious really as the hands are so bad. Has anyone else suffered with this and how do they deal with walking. I am a keen hiker and not been able to walk far is a BIG concern for me. Happy Near year to you all. JS

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I am currently suffering from a painful lump under the big toe. The skin has now built up and hardened but there is a lot of pain and soreness involved and I change the way I walk to compensate.I have neglected it due to other concerns but finally made contact with poediatry . I had to apply by post o a special form I got from my surgery in the first instance and have now have been give permission to book an appointment, which I will do tomorrow (musn't forget).

My OH has had a dig at it but I'm now leaving it to the experts to deal with. I'd go to see your GP and see what he suggests if I was you Jack.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. What form of arthritis do you have? There is osteo (the most common) and around 200 kinds of the auto-immune variety. I won the arthritis lottery because I have a creaky foot in both camps. :wink: If it's a joint then arthritis can affect it, ghastly but true. I can no longer walk without aids so I can appreciate your feeling somewhat dismayed about this. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • JackSprat
    Hi Thanks to both for your replys.

I was told some years back that I had Osteo Arthritis but at that time I was only aware of the two types. Rheumatoid and Osteo. My mother has Rheumatoid which is an Auto-immune disease and I have Hashimotos disease, also a Auto-immune. I had no idea until recently that Arthritis could disable people, I just thought it was a annoying part of growing old. Sorry to hear you need aids to get around.

It is difficult here in France to pursue it as we are in a rural town and I do not speak much French, which is why I was looking online to see what could be done to improve the condition. Does not seem to be much but grin and bear it :D Have either of you tried the cider vinegar and honey cure??? Might be worth a try and no harmful side effects.

Cheers Jacquie
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    All the 'cures' such as cider vinegar, magnets, copper insoles etc. are (in my opinion) effective for those who like to think they have arthritis but they don't: they confuse the general twinges and aches with the crippling pain and tiredness that us 'proper' arthritics enjoy. I began with 1 affected joint when I was 37, now it's 40 (I am now 54) - there are some left to succumb. :xmas_cheesygrin:

One of the major problems we all face is that arthritis is not a 'glamorous' condition probably because it's far too common. There are around ten million arthritics in the UK, of whom around 300,000 have an auto-immune type. People think it affects sweet little old ladies (and it does) but it can start in children as young as one year old.

OA is very much a case of grin and bear until things get so bad that replacement joints may be an option. Given your family history I think you should be checked out (via blood tests) for an auto-immune type but they won't necessarily provide the answers. There is a very recent thread begun by a new member (crabby85) about blood tests to diagnose arthritis and there is a fuller explanation of their role. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • JackSprat
    Thanks DD

Maybe I'll get brave and try out the Local French doctor. But seems like even if you know what you have got there is not much can be done. I do find yoga helps my back pain, and I like to walk heeps, hence my dismay that I now have it in my toes.

Cheers Jac