Hello Newbie here loads of questions I am afraid

dalaney
dalaney Member Posts: 22
edited 30. Dec 2013, 13:35 in Say Hello Archive
Hello I have just found this forum and wanted to say Hi. I am a 48 year old social worker who has had arthritis for several years but this year found out what I thought was ongoing sciatica was in fact arthritis of the hip. It is so painful and I am currently having physio treatment and being put on the "Hip Pathway" with the end result being a hip replacement. I have been told that they dont like doing hip replacements on people as young as me but I am finding it so hard to live with this pain and limping all day is exhausting. Initially I was told to rethink my work pattern I was astonished I live alone and support myself that is simply not an option apart from the fact I love my job. My questions are what sort of pain relief is good I unfortunately struggle to take anti inflammatory drugs and baisc paracetomol etc does not touch it. I was swimming which helped but it is so cold no i cant do it as it makes it worse. Today my physio gave me accupuncture which gave me immediate relief but was very short lived i will be having it again though in couple of weeks. Some days I am desperate as i am so tired with not sleeping due to the pain it really has taken over my life. I also have athritis in my shoulder and fingers which are all bent. Any advice anyone can give me would be wonderful. Thank you

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello dalaney and welcome to the club no-one wants to join :roll: There is more to pain relief than paracetamol but the stronger the meds, the more they tend to space you out. It's a double-edged sword. I wonder what your problems with anti-inflamms are. If stomach-related, a stomach-protecting med can make all the difference. Taking pain relief at bedtime will help you to sleep.

I'm glad the acupuncture helps, if only briefly. You could ask about hydrotherapy. That's exercising in water but the water is warmer than in swimming pools. However, it's true that swimming is good for OA so it would be worth persevering with the cold.

It's good that you want to continue working as before but the golden rule with arthritis is adapt and survive. I would never advocate giving in to it but trying to carry on as if you don't have it is a recipe for disaster. It won't be ignored.

Have you tried reading some of Arthritis Care's publications? There's a buttom at the top left.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dalaney
    Thank you Stickywicket and I will take a look at the publications It is nice to find a forum where people understand the challenges of living with arthritis. It is such a life changing thing and frustrating and being in pain all the time is exhausting Mostly I stay upbeat but sometimes when I am tired after not sleeping i just get overwhelmed by it all. I used to be such an active person and now a simple walk around a shop leaves me in agony. Being told I am too young for a hip replacement was also disappointing I honestly would rather have my mobility now than when I was older, I need to be able to work and support myself now but they wont do anything until it gets a lot worse and i am older so frustrating. Ah well moan over I will get back to being upbeat again after a good nights sleep I am sure
  • Glyn
    Glyn Member Posts: 3
    Hi I am new to all this myself. I am also a social worker and I it very diffiuclt to help people when I am feeling so bad in myself but I think the other writer is correct that you have to keep going.

Recently I come across the web site below and he talks about alternative medicines for Arthritis. He also has a book entitled alternative nutritional book, which is the second link below. However, I am sure if you type in patrick holford both the website and book will come up on google.

https://www.patrickholford.com/advice/say-no-to-arthritis

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004CRT67U/ref=oh_d__o00_details_o00__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would be pleased to know how you get on because this is all new to me
    Glyn
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hello Delaney

Welcome to the forums from me too :)

there are some anti-inflas you might be able to take (if the issues are belly-related :wink: ) the Cox2s. Ask your GP about them

Some people find heat - wheatbags/hotties helpful and some swear by tens machines.

Analgesia - ranges from paracetamol to morphine and probably beyond :madnoel: I have tried a fair few in my time. Co-codamol co-dydramol tramadol to name a few and am now taking Bu-trans patches. useful as my main problem with the others was nausea due to the 'burst' of the medication and then the desperation(pain) when they were 'due' again.

Would your GP consider referral to a pain clinic? They are pain experst and probably know lots about different pain relief.

Love

Toni xxx
  • dalaney
    Glyn wrote:
    Hi I am new to all this myself. I am also a social worker and I it very diffiuclt to help people when I am feeling so bad in myself but I think the other writer is correct that you have to keep going.

Recently I come across the web site below and he talks about alternative medicines for Arthritis. He also has a book entitled alternative nutritional book, which is the second link below. However, I am sure if you type in patrick holford both the website and book will come up on google.

https://www.patrickholford.com/advice/say-no-to-arthritis

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004CRT67U/ref=oh_d__o00_details_o00__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would be pleased to know how you get on because this is all new to me
    Glyn
    #

Thanks for the links Glyn I will try anything and quite like the alternative route for pain control. I know hwt you mean about being a social worker and seeing people when you feel rough some of the oldies that I see seem in much better shape than me sometimes lol But I love it and wouldnt do anything else and yes i also believe that you have to keep going but some days are definately harder than others !!
  • dalaney
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hello Delaney

Welcome to the forums from me too :)

there are some anti-inflas you might be able to take (if the issues are belly-related :wink: ) the Cox2s. Ask your GP about them

Some people find heat - wheatbags/hotties helpful and some swear by tens machines.

Analgesia - ranges from paracetamol to morphine and probably beyond :madnoel: I have tried a fair few in my time. Co-codamol co-dydramol tramadol to name a few and am now taking Bu-trans patches. useful as my main problem with the others was nausea due to the 'burst' of the medication and then the desperation(pain) when they were 'due' again.

Would your GP consider referral to a pain clinic? They are pain experst and probably know lots about different pain relief.

Love

Toni xxx

Thanks Toni and I yes i do try the wheat bags and they help a little just difficult when you are trying to work. I am going to see my GP again tomorrow so will mention the pain clinic
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Delaney

You can buy from supermarkets heat patches which are portable unlike Wheaties which do have a habit of falling off :madnoel:

Hope you got on ok at the GP?

take care

Love

Toni xxx