hello im felix happy new year

felix
felix Member Posts: 30
edited 2. Jan 2014, 04:55 in Say Hello Archive
hi everybody my web name is felix
I was diagnosed with OA in both hips eighteen months ago july 2012 I already new really as I had perthes disease as a small child aged seven & had to wear callipers for three years
for the last forty years I have successfully held down a manual job in the construction industry the last five with OTC ibroprufen I still work but it is getting more & more difficult the stiffness in the left leg is as bad as the joint pain it self my doctor told me to change jobs but I don't know what to do next as being a tradesman im to old to retrain but to young to retire
since reading this forum I realise now what you refer to as "flare ups" the constant pain & tiredness that don't go away they are usually met with quote "I get aches & pains too just get on with it" im currently on 1000mg of naproxen & 30mg of cocodamol x 2 a day I thought that when I could take two weeks off work at Christmas I could take a rest form the medication but it seems as bad if not worse ,sorry to start on a downer but driving for an hour to work then doing a full shift & driving back just drains me leaving me physically & mentally exhausted & im dreading the return to work,
felix

[Link to "post a reply" accidentally inserted here within this post removed.
Mod B]
“Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone "
Carl Sagan.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Happy New Year Felix

t07063.gif

I hope it's better than you are fearing....the OA sounds to be affecting your life very much ATM :(

I hope the rest HAS helped a little and am sorry your doc thinks it's so easy to change jobs these days ::) Have you seen an orthopaedic surgeon at all to see what your options might be?

Maybe you can ask your GP for a referral to a pain clinic for some better help with your pain too??

Love

Toni xx
  • felix
    Hi Toni
    yes I saw a consultant when I was first diagnosed he advised me also to change my job he told me he only did hip replacements & that I was on the bottom ladder of medication there was opiates yet to discover if he offered me a new joint now it would only last ten years ,see my GP for any other business I then asked him about failure rates of the operation he replied " if you want a guarantee buy a toaster"
    iv since been back to the doctor who prescribed 30mg of cocodamol 4x a day but try not to take them if not needed I`m currently on 2/3 x day. some days are better than others & they are few & far between but its peoples ignorance of the disease that annoys me .X
    FELIX
    “Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone "
    Carl Sagan.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Felix and a happy new year to you
    Like Toni says I hope the rest has helped, I have OA and just had my first hip replacement..I find you can go through phases one min tired and in pain then there are good days...I am so glad you have joined us and hope you find the forum helpful...
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello felix, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. Arthritis of any form has no respect for the age of its targets, our oldest members are in their 70s, our youngest is 2. Cruel, yes?

Docs and surgeons deal with theory, it's us who have to live with the reality. I have two kinds of arthritis plus fibromyalgia. I have had to stop work (I was self-employed) but I am lucky in that my husband is employed and able to support me. I think you are wise to keep the cocos to a minimum because that leaves you room to manoeuvre when the tough times come (and they will). I am not surprised you are so very tired, continual pain is tiring, arthritis is tiring and no, people won't understand; why should they? We all learn about things when they happen to us, I knew nothing about arthritis when I began in 1997 because I hadn't needed to. It may be worth googling 'The Spoon Theory' and 'There's a Gorilla in my House' - both give good explanations of what it is like living with these challenging conditions and they can open others' eyes. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Felix
    Welcome to the fourms
    I have OA {along with other things} ...I had a hip replacement years ago and am due my 2nd one on the 24th of Jan
    You are wise to keep some meds in reserve {if you can} for the tough times
    Love
    Hileena
  • felix
    thanks for all the support I`ll remember those comments
    one question
    do they eventually offer you anything stronger ?
    Carl Sagan.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello from me, too, felix. I won't go oiver your previous posts which the others have dealt with but, as for your question about pain relief, there is stronger pain relief than cocos (some, on here, take morphine ) but it's a matter of balance between pain and mental function which is why some of us prefer to keep the meds to the minimum. I guess it's one of those tough decisions we all have to make for ourselves. All credit to you for continuing to work despite all the problems. It might, however, be worth bearing in mind the option to re-train in a less physically demanding job. Just as a back-up plan.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • felix
    I`m inclined to agree.
    felix
    Carl Sagan.