fortuna
fortuna Member Posts: 149
edited 9. Jan 2014, 10:42 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everyone,
Would like to introduce myself as fortuna and suffering 2 extremely painful hands. The view is that I probably have R A in the left and Arthritis and carpal tunnel in the right.
I see a consultant on the 13th January. My GP has given me 2 types of low dose morphine tablets neither helped and I have gone back to Neurofen which do help.
I would like to hear opinions on an easy to use bottle, jar opener! Sounds simple but there is so much choice out there. So which would you recommend?
Thanks,
Fortuna

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Fortuna. It's lovely to meet you but I'm sorry about the arthritis. Your GP has done the right thing by referring you to a rheumatologist and I hope you will soon be established on some medication that will help. Your GP can't prescribe the Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Medication that RA requires and, as you've discovered, pain relief is a poor substitute.

As for your question about jars etc - I have an electric jar opener (from L*k*l*nd) and an electric can opener from C*m*t or C*rr**s or some such. If you have a good Disability Aids shop nearby they could advise you and maybe let you try one out. My RA started in my fingers many years ago and I couldn't manage without these now. I've also had lever taps fitted as I can't usually manage others. If you look near the top of the Living With Arthritis forum you'll find a thread entitles 'Simple ideas.....' You might find several tips on there. Good luck :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support. I have a mixture of psoriatic and osteo arthritis in both hands and, in November 2012, I had a double carpal tunnel op which sorted that out.

Some people find relief in soaking their hands in warm water with added Epsom salts. It can also be beneficial to gently stretch and contract ones fingers whilst they are soaking. Pain relief is a very hit-and-miss business but one thing is certain; the stronger the pain medication the more you are removed from the pain and not vice versa. I keep mine to the minimum so that I have an 'escape route' when things worsen (I have arthritis from top-to-toe plus fibromyalgia). As for kitchen gadgets I swear by the Oxo range called 'Good Grips'. Every bit of kit has a lovely fat handle which is easier to hold. Tight jar lids can be a nightmare - if my gripper mats don't work then I drill into the top with a corkscrew which releases the pressure; I then seal the hole with sellotape. I have also changed my pans, vacuums, ironing board for lighter models. Being disabled can be quite costly. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello fortuna
    And a warm welcome to the forum
    I am sorry your hands are so painful, I use to think hands cant be that bed till mine started with OA...I have had numerous injections and and really good results...but sadly they have stopped working
    Has for opening jars...I have a rubber one that you put round the lid and just tighten it is brilliant...I do hope your rheumy appointment goes well and they can give you something to help the pain...I have heard that warm wax baths do the trick but I haven't used them.
    Love
    Barbara
  • fortuna
    Hello to you all and thank you for your welcome and suggestions. I have just had a battle to get on here with the awful long password they give you.
    Now I must try and change it!
    can you tell me more about the Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Medication as I would like to know something about them when I have my appointment?
    Shall now do some reading of your forums - less painful than typing :xmas_cry: :xmas_cry: :xmas_cry:
    fortuna
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    DMARDs? (disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs) They are many and slightly varied and it can be a matter of trial and error until you find one (or two) that suit. I take two (sulphasalazine plus injected methotrexate) plus some other junk but I am a good few years ahead of you. There is also the option of NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as naproxen or diclofenac. One of these may also be offered. I take a diclo every now and again and ensure that I also take my stomach protector beforehand. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Steven Wright
  • fortuna
    I have just written 2 lengthy replies and lost them both. my typing hand is very bad today and I keep knocking something which deletes it all.
    Will try again tomorrow.
    fortuna
  • stickywicket
    Oh dear! How annoying! If you're on a computer or laptop, have you tried writing your posts in Word then copying and pasting them in? Not as much room for error :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • fortuna
    Good idea! I'll try that tomorrow.
  • stickywicket
    How are things today, fortuna? A little better, I hope.
    Steven Wright
  • fortuna
    Hi stickywicket
    I am typing this in “Word” as suggested am less likely to lose my words.
    I don’t understand my symptoms! The right hand which I was sure was carpal T seems to be changing. In the beginning there was lots of pins and needles and stiffness in the fingers, but not thumb, and pain in the wrist. Now the fingers and thumb are all slightly swollen but the pins & needles seem to have gone and I have pain in all joints on movement. Also stabbing pain up to the elbow!
    Do we have a CTSyndrome expert on here? Who could maybe offer a view?
    fortuna
  • stickywicket
    There are a few who have had the carpal tunnel operation, fortuna. If you copy this post onto the Living With Arthritis forum I'm sure someone will see it.
    Steven Wright
  • fortuna
    Thanks will do