Graduate jobs

As5567
As5567 Member Posts: 665
This seems like a good place to ask.

I can't seem to get any solid answer for my question....When applying for graduate job's do I have to disclose my medical condition on the application?

I have so far applied for a few graduate schemes and have only had one response for a job that is located overseas. Many of my friends are beginning to be invited to 2nd stage selection process and I'm beginning to think that disclosing my condition on every application is having a negative impact.

Any advice on this would be great.

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    They are not supposed to discriminate on health grounds as you are covered by the disability act
    It might be better if you only disclose it at interview as they are supposed to looking at your academic qualifications and how suited to the job rather than your condition! It is a difficult one
    My advise would be to contact the helpline number on here for their advice
    I wish you well for your future
    Maria
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    hmm difficult one. I am a graduate and I will not be disclosing it on most of my forms.I didn't even like saying it on my college form.I think there are pros and cons to disclosing the condition it is a difficult one as maria says.
    There are some employers that use a two ticks scheme where you get an interview if you are disabled. I might try that when I look for work .
    Best of luck with your applications :)
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Kittkat wrote:
    hmm difficult one. I am a graduate and I will not be disclosing it on most of my forms.I didn't even like saying it on my college form.I think there are pros and cons to disclosing the condition it is a difficult one as maria says.
    There are some employers that use a two ticks scheme where you get an interview if you are disabled. I might try that when I look for work .

Thanks both, I think I'm just going to leave it off my application form. If I'm under no obligation by law to disclose my illness at this stage then I think it's much better left off the applications.

I know they're not meant to judge, but they do and always will. Who's going to pick someone with AS over someone who's healthy at the application processes when your whole "life" is just on a bit of paper.
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    As5567 wrote:
    Kittkat wrote:

Thanks both, I think I'm just going to leave it off my application form. If I'm under no obligation by law to disclose my illness at this stage then I think it's much better left off the applications.

I know they're not meant to judge, but they do and always will. Who's going to pick someone with AS over someone who's healthy at the application processes when your whole "life" is just on a bit of paper.

I agree with this. It is easy to judge when you are just a bit of paper much better if they meet you etc. :)
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?