Fibromyalgia

Angeleyes02
Angeleyes02 Member Posts: 9
edited 22. Feb 2014, 07:30 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, I have just joined & would like to communicate with people with the same condition. My symptoms are getting worse or I am going through a bad phase? 8)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but we're not doctors, we don't know your medical history so we will have no idea whether things are worsening or you're flaring. :) I have two forms of arthritis and was diagnosed with fibro last October - I have the unholy trinity! :lol: If you post again on the Living with Arthritis board of the forum you will receive more replies because more people look in on there than here. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Angeleyes02
    Thanks for your reply. Will do as you suggested.
  • Angeleyes02
    Thanks DD.
    Did not know there different forums. Clicked on the tab for LWA, but says 'locked!!' Never mind I will figure it out when I get the time.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Now that's unusual - stick with us girl, I am sure you will be 'allowed in' soon. :wink: It is listed on the board index where you found this one, Say Hello. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sheenakt
    sheenakt Member Posts: 51
    Hi, after suffering with arthritis for years I too have been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. At least it explains the weird pains all over my body in the last 3 months or so…
    so far I'm being treated with amitriptyline and had first physio appt today - what treatment are you having or is planned? Sheena x
  • Angeleyes02
    I'm also on Amitriptyline; not sure what it does? Still get sharp pains all over & lots of other symptoms!! Have not been recommended Physio? How can that help?
    I did hear that a friend of a friend felt much better when she started a healthy diet. I have a healthy diet most of the time anyway.
    Thanks for your post x
  • sheenakt
    amitriptyline is to encourage the the level 4 sleep that it is thought we're not currently having, that's the theory of why you develop fibro. Don't underestimate physio,they are highly skilled in giving pain relief through exercises, acupuncture, ultrasound etc,etc. Why not ask your GP. For a referral? My rheumatologist has prescribed CBT also but I haven't started it yet. I've read that a dairy free diet might be beneficial to Fibro sufferers, I generally follow a vegetarian diet which is supposed to be good for it, s xx
  • Angeleyes02
    Great thank you; will do re Physio! I love CBT but that's not related to physical condition. Sounds like you saw a good Doctor!!
    I can't complain too much as at the moment I am able to work full time & have a social life!
    Speak later. Thank you xx
  • sheenakt
    but fibro isn't just a physical condition, its an error in which pain messages are processed in your brain, I think was how it was explained to me. I'm more apprehensive about the CBT but will try it.xx
  • Angeleyes02
    CBT is great, it's just talking to someone; I'm all for that kind of therapy. Don't worry you are in control as in any good therapy; you talk about whatever you want to talk about. Good luck; which part of the country are you in?
  • sheenakt
    yes, I work quite closely within the NHS with the CBT teams, not sure if that's why I'm apprehensive!! I definitely would be going elsewhere tho to keep it professional.

I'm in the north East, Sunderland and you? Xx
  • Angeleyes02
    Leigh on sea Essex (just outside Southend on sea).

Take care & good luck x
  • bridesmum
    bridesmum Member Posts: 181
    I've had fibromyalgia for the last 12 years and sad to say I'm getting worse not better! It's probably made worse by osteoarthritis in my knees, hip and back. I am starting a fibromyalgia management course on thursday, apparently there will be talks from rhumies, physios and other experts. I have been on the waiting list for 18 months, so fingers crossed it's been worth the wait. It runs for 8 weeks but unfortunately it is a round trip of an hour and a half to get there. I'll let you know how I get on....just worried that any benefit from the course will be lessened by the pain from sitting in the car for such a long time. Deb
  • sheenakt
    Sounds interesting - how did you find out about that and where in the country are you based?

Sheena
  • bridesmum
    I live in Northwich, Cheshire, but the course is being run at Stepping hill hospital in Stockport. My sister also has fibro and lives in stockport and she heard about it. I asked my gp to refer me for it, but she had to first refer me to a rhumatologist at stepping hill who then referred me for the course. I don't know what they can do for me but I'm getting desperate now!
  • sheenakt
    good luck with it - funny I used to live in Bramhall and worked in Stockport.
  • bridesmum
    Where do you live now? Deb
  • sheenakt
    The north-east between Sunderland and Durham
  • Angeleyes02
    Hi Deb; good luck with the course!1