Big British Bird Watch this weekend 25th/26th January

lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 27. Jan 2014, 11:06 in Community Chit-chat archive
I'm reminding everyone (as I do every year) that if you can spare an hour of your time this weekend why don't you join the Big Garden Bird Watch?

All you have to do is sit for an hour where you can see your garden, or go to the local park and just count the maximum number of bird species that land there over the course of an hour (in trees counts as well as on bird tables and, of course, on the ground). For example, if three sparrows land at the same time in the hour the answer is three. If one sparrow lands, flies away, then two sparrows then the maximum number would be two …..see what I mean?

If you go onto the RSPB website, link below, you can download a form that helps you to identify and carry out the survey. Then you just submit your results on line.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/?gclid

It's great to do with children and grandchildren or just on your own.

Hope you get a chance to join in.

Two-birds-in-love_zps42bf95fe.jpg
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks Linda...I love to join in this ...will have my middle GD at the window..checking out the little birdies..I hope you are doing ok...we don't see you about much..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I did the Big Bird Watch last year as we are very lucky where we live as we have a hawthorn bush running a long side our house and birds go crazy in there and nest as well. It's very popular with House Sparrows. We also have bird feeders and 2 nesting boxes in the back garden. So will be counting the different birds tomorrow and maybe even Sunday!!
  • lindalegs
    Hi Barbara and Bubba,

It is a pleasant way to spend an hour. :D

Have to rush as my youngest is 28 today and we're taking him out for lunch. Reply properly later. :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    lindalegs wrote:
    Hi Barbara and Bubba,

It is a pleasant way to spend an hour. :D

Have to rush as my youngest is 28 today and we're taking him out for lunch. Reply properly later. :D

Love,
    Happy Birthday to your son..hope you all have a lovely day out x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Catie
    Catie Member Posts: 362
    Thanks for the reminder Lindalegs - this is something we do every year, and love it :)

Hope your son enjoys a wonderful day and Happy Birthday to him :)

Catie x
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    thanks lovely lindalegs
    yes im in will load up feeders nuts ,seed,fat snax.
    come on ye birds.. :o
    mike26 :roll: :roll:
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I've done this for the last couple of years so will be doing it on Sunday. Don't seem to be many birds in my garden at the moment. My boss's mum had 4 blackbirds all together this morning. They were keeping their eyes on each other and warning each other off. Bet there are a few fights there in a few weeks. She has all sorts of other birds too.

Happy birthday to your son Lindalegs.
    Christine
  • lindalegs
    Ahh thank you so much for 'young man Legs' birthday wishes ......it is a bit scary when your baby reaches 28 .....though I'm sure some can beat me on that score :wink::lol: We had a lovely day, which was, of course, shared with our little grandson, though Mummy had to work unfortunately. :(

It's great to see you all joining in watching for the birds. We're doing it at lunch time today as 'grandson Legs' is being our little lodger tonight and is too young to join in. (Daddy and mummy are going out for dinner.)

Our bird table creaking under the weight of bird food and we have a gun at the ready for the squirrels (just kidding) because they kept scaring the birds off last year!

Well happy spotting everyone. I'll let you know how we go on. :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • bubbadog
    Getting ready to do my bird watch in a while OH has got to go and fill the bird feeder and I'm ready to roll!!
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    I do this every year too. The weather here today is dreadful so I'll be doing it from the window or else do it tomorrow.
    Hope everyone enjoys it, it's fun I think to be part of something so big.
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    We have never done it. We live right in the middle of town. And there are so many cats around here, we just don't see much at all. Now when I lived at home, my mum and dad would sit at the window looking onto the big garden, loads of birds. We did have a very big garden, we were lucky.
    I do envy people that are able to just sit and watch them.
    Karen xx
  • applerose
    I'm doing it tomorrow. Not sure if I should watch from my kitchen window or go round the corner to our small park where there will be more birds.
    Christine
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Constable they say on the website to do the survey even if you don't get birds into your garden during the hour you're watching. This way they can get a better picture of how things are shaping up for the birds. Do you put out feeders?
  • applerose
    Oh no. It's raining really heavy here. Hopefully not this afternoon or there won't be anything to record. All the birds will be in bed.
    Christine
  • Catie
    Catie Member Posts: 362
    Lots of birds came to visit during the hour we sat and watched. Then along came two jackdaws and frightened them all away. Not often we spot jackdaws out there to be honest. Hubby was sat with his binoculars :lol:
  • applerose
    Well I got exactly ............... 0, no birds, none at all. There was a seagull which flew past but they only wanted birds which landed in the garden. Very disappointed.
    Christine
  • bubbadog
    I did the bird watch and due to the weather (I think) there wasn't as many birds around as usual, even the OH topped up the bird feeder! Submitted my results.
  • lindalegs
    We did better than usual. We normally have about 10 wood pigeons and nothing else, but this year we had

8 wood pigeons
    2 common gulls (we live nowhere near the sea!)
    1 magpie (which I saluted!)
    1 robin
    2 crows (nowhere near my nose!)
    1 blue tit (no comments about cold weather please!)

It was nice and sunny whilst we watched and then 10 minutes after we finished the heavens opened ......we couldn't have timed it better!

Luv,
    Love, Legs x