Eye eye captain!

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 2. Feb 2014, 17:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
I spent an hour having my eyes poked and prodded, yes they touched my eyeballs with equipment LOTS! The best part was my eyeball being prodded with a device that looked an awful lot like a pregnancy test and I'm delighted to tell you, that my eyes are not pregnant. :lol:

My rare eye disease appears to remain in remission which is great news. I still have damage on the cornea which is the cause of the blurred vision. I'm having 2 weeks of prednisolone eye drops and then, a review to discuss long term treatment. Apparently, this is as a result of persistent eye inflammation caused by the RA. Has anyone heard of this? I knew eye inflammation is linked to inflammatory types of arthritis but I didn't know it could leave scarring. :(

Comments

• phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sophie,

Great news, you're still in remission! And well done for coping with all the poking and prodding too :shock:

I think chronic eye inflammation was mentioned back in the days when it was thought I might have RA, so a very long time ago. I had an eye examination then, but I don't remember much about it – sorry! I know it didn't take long and it wasn't painful. Hopefully someone a bit more clued up will have some info for you :)

Best wishes,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • thistlegirl
    thistlegirl Member Posts: 229
    Hi, it sounds like my eye problems which have been called uveitis and iritis. I was told it was part of my JRA?
    I get checked regularly for eye pressure and inflamation at the back of the eye. I have had this for 15 years so trying to think back to what the doc said....imagine a balloon inflated then deflated, the surface will start to have weak point- floaters and blurry bits to us? If I keep up with the drops it behaves, if I stop the drops it all goes wrong. never able to get off the drops in 15 years but still have good vision so I will happily take them.
    I hope your eyes settle soon.

Jenny
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    The more I read on here, Sophie, the more I realise how lightly I have got off with things. I've no eye problems apart from very occasional dry eyes, and that's despite years of hydroxy too. I'm glad yours is in remission and hope the long term prognosis is good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Sophie and well done you for being so brave having all that prodding and poking of your eyes! I occasionally get double vision but that has been linked to my Epilepsy. But you learn something new everyday I never knew Arthritis can damage your eyes! Glad your still in remission.
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Hello Starburst,

My brother has these conditions and is currently undergoing
    treatment for the second time.
    His consultant tells him it's similar to an arthritic flare.
    Hope all goes well with you.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Sophie
    I am so glad the eyes are in remission,since I came on the forum I have noticed so many people with eye probs...but I don't really know anything about it...I do hope they continue to be in remission..gosh the very thought of them poking the eyes... :shock: good luck with the uni work..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Hi,

I get eye blisters which is linked to auto immune disorders. :shock:

Psoriasis can cause problems with ure eyes but I'm not sure if PsA can. I did, however, know that RA can as like you, my Father in Law had it.

Well done on ure bravery Sophie, I dread seeing the Opthamologist :(

((((Hugs))))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    I have full blown secondary Sjogren's. I don't have the same problems with my eyes as others have mentioned except stickywicket. I have severely dry eyes and use Hypromellose preservative free. When first diagnosed with SS, I used Hypromellose with preservatives. I was allergic to the preservatives (many are) and developed a hole in the cornea of my left eye. After 2 years and 7 operations culminating in a corneal transplant, I am now blind in my left eye. I have since developed a cataract but having surgery for that wouldn't make any difference as I was already blind before it formed. There was a suggestion that I could have an 8th op. Remove the cornea, take out the lens, drill holes around my eye socket, vacuum out all the debris, replace the lens, replace the cornea. I asked what the chances of it being successful were - less than 40% as I had already had one failed corneal transplant. I said no thank you. :x

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Starburst
    kathleenT wrote:
    I have full blown secondary Sjogren's. I don't have the same problems with my eyes as others have mentioned except stickywicket. I have severely dry eyes and use Hypromellose preservative free. When first diagnosed with SS, I used Hypromellose with preservatives. I was allergic to the preservatives (many are) and developed a hole in the cornea of my left eye. After 2 years and 7 operations culminating in a corneal transplant, I am now blind in my left eye. I have since developed a cataract but having surgery for that wouldn't make any difference as I was already blind before it formed. There was a suggestion that I could have an 8th op. Remove the cornea, take out the lens, drill holes around my eye socket, vacuum out all the debris, replace the lens, replace the cornea. I asked what the chances of it being successful were - less than 40% as I had already had one failed corneal transplant. I said no thank you. :x

Oh gosh, Kathleen, you've really been through the ringer with your eyes. ((((hug)))) I really feel for you, how are you managing with sight in one eye? My ophthalmologist suggested lubricants and stressed the importance of trying to use ones that are preservative free. When something goes wrong with your eyes, it can be so difficult. While I don't profess to know what you're going through, I can appreciate the challenges.
  • Starburst
    Thank you for the replies, everyone.

I'm a bit miffed that I didn't get my eyes examined earlier on but I just never knew they could cause permanent scarring. I had told my rheum when my eyes were bad but she never advised much. I think there needs to be more awareness of rheumatoid related eye problems.

I should have been more vigilant given that I already had a history of childhood eye problems. I'm quite cross with myself! That said, what's done is done. Fortunately, it's not dangerous or a threat to my sight to have damaged eye surfaces. The focus is to get my symptoms (blurred vision) under control.

Onwards and upwards is the only way. :)
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    EyE EYe Starburst!

It's difficult to know when to push doctors to more help when we are having symptoms, or accept our own tendencies to over-worry about things. This is a useful topic to explore for those of us with autoimmune issues. I'm often guilty of both; I let symptoms go ignored that I should push harder for diagnostics on but it's difficult because so often you are brushed off and dismissed for excessive worry. How is one to know?

I am sorry that you now have scarring to deal with too. I think maybe your rheum could have investigated things eye-inflammatory a little more thoroughly? Sorry, you have these ((())) from me! I hope the blurring can be improved somewhat.

Here's to watching one's eyes for inflammation like a hawk!
  • Starburst
    Just 4 days into the prednisolone eye drop routine and we have clearer vision. :D Pred really is a wonder drug. It's gloopy stuff though, not fun 4 times a day. Eye drop time is always preceded by whinging and followed by "aaaah it stings!" but it's not that bad really. :wink:

Look after your eyes, people. You only get one pair. Don't get fobbed off by being told it's all part and parcel of autoimmune conditions, it's treatable and can cause problems is left untreated.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Wise words, Sophie. Keep at it :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Hi Sophie,

Sorry I'm late back to this thread! I'm glad the eye drops are working for you, amidst all the gloopiness and stinginess :shock:

Boomer13 wrote:
    I let symptoms go ignored that I should push harder for diagnostics on but it's difficult because so often you are brushed off and dismissed for excessive worry. How is one to know?

Boomer, I'm exactly the same. I find it helps to present information from a reputable source and to request a second opinion where necessary :)

Best wishes to all,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Sophie - firstly sorry that I haven't been around here much lately. I'm doing pretty well just now but husband is away with our car and it's just me, youngest son and two dogs and fairly evil weather!

I think you are very brave about this eye business. I did know that RA could affect the eyes because we had a neighbour with it and she had very sore eyes and could barely see out of one. She explained to me that RA could do this to some people. Poor you to be one of them.

My eyes are terribly dry now and I use Hylo Forte which is for severe eye dryness and only comes preservative free and at night I use Lacri-lube which is great but terrible for making me stumble to the loo at night unable to see a thing! I know that dry eyes and your condition aren't the same thing but someone on a Sjogrens site told me that it is crucial to keep using drops regularly even when you don't feel the need so much in order to prevent blink pain and corneal damage - or further damage in your case.

I hope your studies are going well?
    Mat x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade