Sent to A&E, without a clue!

Lubs
Lubs Member Posts: 155
edited 29. Jan 2014, 02:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

Yesterday I was phoned by the rheumatology nurse who insisted that I go to A&E immediately and be seen by the on call neurologist.

Well after waiting in the A&E department for 4 hours last night, feeling like there should have been a documentary on the people who frequently go there, I was seen by a really nice Doctor.

He had no idea why I was sent to A&E, a bit like me as I did request to go to my GP. He did some checks on my symptoms, which are very embarrassing. I am currently suffering from bowel incontinence only at night, I also cannot start urinating (so retention), in addition to my tongue feels like it is burnt so eating is problematic. I feel dizzy, feel weakness in my left leg and when that happen I feel like my bladder will empty at the same time. I have really bad lower back pain, as well as upper so when I take a deep breath it hurts in the ribs.

However, typical A&E they only focus on one symptom and that was bowel incontinence, especially since I'm suspected of having AS. He checked the spine and my responses and just sent me home. Saying that I may need to go to an incontinence clinic. I'm only 38 years old.

Has anyone got an idea with what is going on with me? I am going to see the GP and have taken time off work as I am really tired all the time and it affects my reading and speech. I find it difficult to find the correct words sometimes and last week I hit the car due to being tired. :oops:

Thanks
Lubs

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh dear! What an experience! And you're none the wiser. That isn't good, especially with so many worrying, difficult things going wrong. I take my hat off to you for how you're managing to function let alone work.

I assume that the rheumatology nurse rang you as a result of either you calling them or something in your blood tests. Clearly what ever it was the nurse felt that your immediate problem was neurological.

I don't have these things so I know nothing about them or how they are treated, though I'm a bit surprised the neurologist only asked questions and checked your spine. I think I'd have expected more tests or x-rays or something.

I think the GP is a good plan. In your place I might be tempted to call the rheumatology helpline again to find out what it was all about and where to go from here. Whoever you see or talk to, please make sure they're aware of all your recent medical history rather than just a small area. I hope you can get the help you need quickly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Fionabee
    Fionabee Member Posts: 146
    Hi Lubs
    What a rotten position to be put in. Why on earth didn't the rheumatology nurse tell you why you had to go to A&E, wonder if it's because of patient confidentiality, which can be really unhelpful. I had a call from the surgery a couple of days ago asking me to make an appt to see the Doc (I'm post knee replacement) she couldn't give me any more info over the phone, but when I asked if this was about my Hb,she did confirm that my Hb is on the low side, which I had anticipated.
    I have OA, one of the questions I have always been asked in connection with low back and leg pain is "how are your bladder and bowels, have you any incontinence". Could your back pain be pressuring the nerves that power your bladder/bowels?
    Poor you.
    Fiona
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Hi,

I'm really sorry to read ure symptoms. It sounds quite worrying not just uncomfortable or embarrassing.

Are you on a biologic?

I completely agree with SW, I think you need to discuss this further with Rheumatology to find out why they sent you to A & E in the first place & why didn't they let the on call Neurologist know why you were being sent!! They can do that as its been done for me.

Good luck with ure GP appointment. Try not to panic in the mean time.

((((Hugs))))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Good idea lubs seeing GP, lets hope s/he can unravel why you were sent to A@E, if it was me I think though I would also be ringing back the rheumatology nurse hope you get it all sorted out soon , let us know how you get on...........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Lubs
    Hi,

The Dr that I saw in the A&E department was a newly qualified Dr, one who has just left university. He was very good in that he kept going to his senior supervising Dr and kept asking questions. He checked me quickly for a cauda equine syndrome by completing a reflex test. What I realised when he did that was that I have a very weak left leg.

He could not tell me what is causing my symptom of bowel incontinence. The problem is when I went to A&E and the triage nurse asked what was the the problem I told them my symptoms, but he only put bowel incontinence on the sheet and passed me onto the next stage.

They want me referred to a neurologist as soon as possible. The best bit was while being assessed I couldn't remember my age! I told them I was in my twenties, my husband then corrected me and told them I was 38!

I have also been contacted by the hospital to go in for an MRI scan this Saturday. So the rheumy department is doing their bit as well.

As for work my husband and friends they want me to go off sick. I am getting up in the middle of the night, every night, to clean myself (doesn't sound nice). It has been constant for over a week. The urine retention I can deal with, it's the incontinence that I can't deal with.

I hope they can figure what is wrong with me! Thank you for your support and hugs. They have helped me today ().

Lubs x
  • Lubs
    Sorry Debbie I forget to mention I'm on infliximab, 6 weekly infusions with 10mg of MtX. I also take pregabalin, topirimate, and sertraline.

Before they give me the infliximab they have to give me a premed infusion of piriton and steriod. It usually makes me sleepy and I usually went back to work in the afternoon.

Thanks
    Lubs
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Oh Lubs,

It's been a rough old ride for you, eh?! I'm glad you're being referred to a neurologist and I hope you're seen urgently. I'm sorry it's been so frustrating.

We're all here by your side should you need anything.

By the way, have these symptoms started since you began on infliximab?

x
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    So sorry to hear that you're having all these problems, Lubs. I do hope they get you sorted out asap. Thinking about you. ((()))

Meg
  • Lubs
    I've been to the GP. Either they are getting younger or I'm getting older. This one again was very helpful and logical in his approach to my symptoms.

He told me it is best to wait for the MRI results this Saturday so that they can see if there are any visible changes in the spine. Usually incontinence occurs with pressure on the spinal cord.

So I will wait and see if rheumatology team need to refer me after the MRI.

I have been on infliximab for over 2 years, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the new symptoms.

He check my tongue and there is nothing there to indicate an infection, again he thinks it is neurological. Just can't eat chocolate without pain.

I have been signed off work for 3 weeks as he could see how tired I am and this will take me to half term.

Thank you for all your support.
    Lubs x
  • mellivenelli
    mellivenelli Member Posts: 38
    fingers crossed for you Lubs.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Nothing to add, just wanted to send some more hugs and hope you get some rapid results from the MRI. {{{{{{{{{{{{{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Deb xx
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    That sounds like a sensible plan but I don't know why they couldn't have done the MRI whilst you were in A & E, such a shame, but at least it's not too long to wait!! I hope the radiographers report comes thru quickly for you too.

((((Hugs))))

Xxx xxX
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x