Tens machines

Andy
Andy Member Posts: 3
edited 31. Jan 2014, 08:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, just joined and am still reading all the bits and pieces in the forum. I'm 86, male and in reasonably good health. In 2007 I had a new hip on one side and in the last 18 months have now developed pain in both hips, new and old ! I've had the x-rays and Doc said it was Arthritis. Walking about in the house is no bother but to walk 3 or 4 hundred yards to the paper shop is painful, if I stop the pain subsides and I go on a bit further. I really don't want any more operations at my age, I've had so many over my lifetime, I fear if I sneeze too violently I'll come to pieces !! So now I'm looking to try a 'Tens machine' and was wondering if anyone in the forum had any advice on what sort to get, how to fit and whether they work anyway ? Regards to all, Andy

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Andy

Welcome to the forum nice to meet you. I have used one in the past but for neuropathic pain and afraid it did nothing for me, there have been people on here that have had some relief though from them. The one I had was through a pain clinic I was referred to and was very easy to use it would be better to try one first before you buy in case it didn't work for you, if you put tens machine into the search at the top of the page it will bring up old posts, hopefully some others will be around soon to give their input. Hope to see you around.............take care.............Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Hi Andy. I've used a TENS but found it did not help me at all. I have OA. The only way to find out is to try it, different things have different results for people.

Hope you find it helps you.

Beryl
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Andy
    Welcome......I've got OA and had one hip replaced and just 6 days post op with the 2nd one
    I found when I used it........sometimes it helped and sometimes didn't.
    Our physio dept let you have them for a couple of weeks to try then if you find they are any good you can buy theirs or another one.
    I found LLo*d* chemist as good as any for advice and different kinds

Love
    Hileena
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Try before you but sounds a good idea, welcome from me. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I used one when in hospital but it did very little for me. I now take cocodamol 30/500, usually between 2 - 4 tablets per day but currently it's more as I have a broken arm. They take off a sufficient edge to allow me to get on with things as best I can. I am 54, have OA plus another form and use walking aids because they help. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Andy. It's good to meet you. I can't help on the TENS front and I can fully understand your not wanting more ops but that THR doesn't seem to have lasted very long. I guess the pain there could be referred from your other hip but, if it were mine, I think I'd like to hear an orthopaedic surgeon's verdict rather than a GP's. How do you treat your arthritis normally? Anti-inflammatories? Pain relief? Physio?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Andy
    Andy Member Posts: 3
    Hi everybody, Thank you all for welcoming me to the forum, I certainly will try a tens machine before I buy. At the moment I am not in agony with my hips, both are certainly painful and getting worse – the one with the new bits in has probably gone rusty !. At the moment, in the house or walking about in the garden I ‘grin and bear it’ as they say, (I use paracetamol but it doesn’t seem to help much) I would like to be able to walk a reasonable distance without having to stop - for instance say, at the airport to get to the plane, and I thought a tens machine might help in these short journeys. If I have any distance to go I have to use the car. I’ve had the x-rays, seen a surgeon, and the prognosis is they cannot do anything more for me, other than drugs. (to old I expect !) I want to avoid stronger pain killers as long as possible until I am forced to, that’s why I asked about the machine. I’m sure a lot of you out there are far worse off than me, so thank you all for your interest and advice, and I wish you all well and will let you know later on how I get on. Andy
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You sound to have things well under control and well-thought out, Andy. May I just suggest – and I hesitate to do so, knowing what you independent fellows are like, being married to one :lol: – wheelchair assistance is very good at airports and will save you the long periods of standing for check-in and baggage reclaim too. (I find standing worse than walking.) Just a thought.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    And a warm welcome from me Andy ,Yes I really hate long periods of standing to although going on holiday generally the anticipation tends to have a good placebo affect ,I have used tens .. and did find some relieve on the smaller joints but found the whole thing fiddly and annoying like knee supports and wrist things .I to miss so much the get up and just go , its good to keep going as you do even the small distances I have just had a steroid injection ,so after an initial grumble yesterday "ITS NOT WORKED " ..well this morning it certainly has made a difference not huge but its definately helped maybe you could consider this to at least for some short term relief while you formulate a new plan ,Hope you stay posting Marrianne :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Andy and a warm welcome from me...
    Aww bless I know the pain I have had one THR and waiting for the other.
    I have back probs has well and find the tens works on the for a short while but not on my hip..but like everything else everyone is so different..I hope you can borrow one and see how you get on..good luck and please let us know how it goes.
    Love
    Barbara