Yet another newbie!

susan100
susan100 Member Posts: 14
edited 1. Feb 2014, 09:48 in Say Hello Archive
Hi

I'm Susan. 65 years old and having to face the fact that I've got arthritis and it's not going to go away! Real problem areas are lower back and left thumb joint with close contenders being right knee, left big toe joint and hips.

This is all very scary for me since I've always been a very active person. However, it's already comforting to know that there are so many of you out there to share this stuff with and to share experiences, advice and, hopefully some reassurance!

So, here we go!

Comments

• a1laserboy
    a1laserboy Member Posts: 7
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Susan :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. There are ten million or so arthritics in the UK, the majority of whom have OA. I am one of the lucky few who have an arthritic foot in both camps and it's not fun. I began when I was 37, I will soon be 55 and it's been gently downhill all the way. :D I currently have a broken arm so won't type much more but I look forward to seeing your name here and there around the boards. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Susan and welcome from me, too. Yes, there are all too many of us but there's always room for one more :)

It will be hard if you're used to being very active. Although exercise is very good for us it has to be the right sort which, frequently, isn't the fun sort :roll: If you enjoy swimming and cycling though then go for it.

Please join in anywhere. Living With Arthritis and Chit Chat are where most of the 'action' is. Either chip in on any thread or start a new one of your own. Don't forget the search engine too as that will often bring up old threads on a topic. I hope to see you around.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Susan and a warm welcome from me
    Im 64 in May..and snap my left thumb lumber..I have already had my left hip replaced and waiting to the other one..I came on the forum 4 years ago and like you was trying to come to terms with things...you will find it helps having people to talk to that understand..so I do hope to see you posting more on the forum very soon..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • susan100
    Wow, thank you all so much for your response. Very kind and very reassuring. :P

This has been a really bad week for my back. Typically, there are good days and bad days. Same for most people I guess, although with me it doesn't make any difference whether it's cold or damp. It's either there or really badly there!

My big, big worry at the moment is that I'm waiting to have a trapeziectomy on my thumb (removal of the trapezium joint). The operation gets a really bad press in terms of the 4/5 success rate, the long recovery process and just about 70% mobility at the end of it all. Also, in rare circumstances there can be complications that last for years!

Maybe I'm worrying unncessarily as I don't know of anyone who had had this op. But it's either going for it or putting up with the pain, which is a pretty bad scenario too.

Perhaps I'll find out more from other people on the site - hopefully a bit or reassurance.

Many thanks to you all.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Susan I am down for a trapeziectomy but I want to get my second hip out the way first..we have a lady that has just had it done..vilier.. Marie..and she is really pleased with how it has gone...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • susan100
    Once again, thank you all for your responses.

I have put a new post up headed Trapziectomy and am already getting responses from that.

I'm so glad I've found this site. I know a lot of people get arthritis but it was very scary when I was told I'd just have to live with the arthritis in my lower back (after loads of physio), and now its decided to take hold in several other places as well.

Is it a question of some people being just pron to it or not?

Susan.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think the jury's still out on that one. OA used to be regarded as an old persons' problem but there are a lot of younger people get it too. It can certainly set in at the site of an old injury but it can also arrive for no obvious reason. You might find this interesting. http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/arthritis/causes.aspx
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright