The Blue Badge Blues....

ScottiePam
ScottiePam Member Posts: 32
edited 21. Feb 2014, 08:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, new to the forum, new to all this.... :?
Anyone out there been having the fun I had trying to renew my Blue Badge. Under the microscope and paraded about. Refused, but will of course appeal. Any thoughts?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm sorry hag13 but I can't help. I get Higher Rate Mobility Allowance (or whatever the latest name change :roll: ) so mine's renewed almost automatically. I'm sure you're not the only one affected though. I think Citizens Advice are the usual port of call for benefits-related things.

By the way - welcome to the forum :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Welcome to the forum Hag, I am afraid I don't know either, I am like SW I am on the higher rate of mobility, I am sure there will be someone along that can help or as SW says try CAB they do a great job.
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Welcome to the forum
    I'm not on any rate of mobility :lol:
    Do have a blue badge.
    I renewed it recently and was a bit worried that I wouldn't get it with all the changes but all that happened was some forms to be filled in, and then they got in touch with my GP and asked for my records.....they gave them the necessary records and I got my BB.

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Mine is due to be renewed in March next year but I'm not worried about it as yet. I too am on higher-rate mobility DLA but, once the PIP applies to me things might change. Do you need any walking aids to help you get about? I am reliant on my Clatterator (my very noisy rollator) so hopefully that will stand me in good stead. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Hi DD
    That's what I relied on to help me get it.
    Rollator.....and space to get it in and out of the car.

Love
    Hileena
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Hello & welcome,

My Mum doesn't receive dla/pip etc & just renewed her blue badge. She has OA in her knees. She put on the form that they could contact her GP & she had hers renewed, it took 4-5 weeks.

I'm really sorry uve been refused. It may be worth getting a medical report from ure Rheumatologist & GP. Once you've received them it may be worth applying again including their reports.

Good luck.xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Hope your renewal goes okay. I've used CAB in the past and have found them useful, fingers crossed you don't actually need them :)
  • ScottiePam
    thanks folks, one and all
    My local council doesn't involve GPs at all, the multi-page form and additional (full) A4 sheet wasn't enough, so I was assessed by an occupational therapist who told me that the chevrons for getting in/out are only a courtesy - seek out and use an end bay, I'm told. :!:
    Looking at all your experiences, The procedure seems to vary. I thought it was cast in stone - no Doc's included, you're on your own!
    It's when you see the BB slipping from your grasp, that the implications kick in....... Mine goes in 2 days. :(
    I have since been assessed by Physio girls, and rollator is on order. As I'm deteriorating further, I'll be back at GP for X-rays, etc. But whether this will count with the appeal remains to be seen. Watch this space........
    The Hag will be back :)
  • stickywicket
    I hope it goes well, hag.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hope it goes well....and hope you get your rollator and find it as much of a benefit as I do

Love
    Hileena
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Hag

This does vary I got mine renewed last year just before I had my new knee replaced. I know there are lots worse off than myself (arfur in knee now gone and dodgy hips) but I filled in the form as honestly as I could and got it back within about 3 weeks....I do intend to give it up in the longer term as I can walk further and am getting stronger, its the getting out of normal spaces I have trouble with, the new knee doesn't allow a complete full bend!...Appeal please..

Elainexx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh hag they do put people through it ...I do hope you get it....good luck x
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi there Hag

I am sorry you are about to 'loose' your badge. Things are certainly getting tougher these days :roll:

There seems to be very little consistency from authority to authority :(

I wish you luck with your appeal

Love

Toni xxx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi
    I don't have a blue badge my dad needs one for my mum as she has a severe stroke and is hoisted from bed to wheelchair and back
    He needs to get a photo of her but it's proving a bit difficult
    I do feel some people do take advantage of the blue badge scheme and maybe that's why they are getting stricter
    I get really annoyed with people well one person who abuses her sons badge he has cerebral palsy but he's great he doesn't not need any aids to walk with its his mum that uses it when he's in school and she's out shopping in Sainsburys and there's nothing wrong with her grrrr!
    I thought GPs now had no influence over the badge system but I could be wrong
    Maria
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Hag, I'm sorry your having so much trouble getting a blue badge, these days it's getting harder than it used to be. I think you would really need to have a DLA higher rate to get it smoothly otherwise you would need a referral from your occupational Therapist and G.P in writing I assume :? When you 1st get diagnosed it's a massive mine field to get your head around you've come to the right place, we all help each other as best as we can and support one another. I hope some of this will help you and you get a blue badge soon. Let us know how your getting on and stay in touch, remember any questions you have or just need advice on something all you have to do is post it on here and we will do our best to help you.
  • ScottiePam
    Hello again,
    Been a while - delay after delay. Again. Submitted appeal, called for another assessment as OT couldn't decide from four pages of info.
    The "wee walk" you have to perform was I am sure less distance than the first time (100m), but the rejection letter quoted this time as 125m. ?? :o
    Example of interview - the appeal mentioned driving and subsequent parking problems, she asked me "do you drive?" Words fail me for once.
    Hag - persevering. :x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    One does not have to be a driver to gain a BB. Do you need to use any walking aids? I am 'fortunate' in that I am reliant on crutches or a rollator so I guess that supports my case. I am in the process of applying for my renewal, I have the higher-rate of DLA but, thanks to a broken arm, won't be driving myself anywhere until around April. :lol:

BBs are issued for many health conditions (and reasonably so) but I think that for those of us with severe mobility restrictions it should be automatic - I know someone with a BB who constantly rides a bike but somehow has qualified for one which I think is unbelievable; this is why assessments are needed because there are those who will milk 'the system' for they are worth. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I don't drive, I use my blue badge in other cars not just my OH's car. I use mainly a wheelchair when I go outside which is not very often! I too are on Higher rate mobility and middle rate car component. They seem to give it automatically if you have DLA and send a copy of it when applying.
    I wouldn't give up trying as it's your right to have a BB, you just need to get the support from medical people and hopefully you will get it this time round, fingers crossed!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    gosh this is awful ..I dont drive but my hubby does so he use the badge for me..I hope this time they see sense...like you say every council is different..good luck..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    hag13 wrote:
    Submitted appeal, called for another assessment as OT couldn't decide from four pages of info.

I think it's quality not quantity that counts. They need to know certain things and telling them a lot about other things is irrelevant. As lululu recently said on another thread, enlist the help of CAB or DIAL. They know what needs to be dealt with.
    hag13 wrote:
    the appeal mentioned driving and subsequent parking problems, she asked me "do you drive?" Words fail me for once.

As DD has said, you don't need to drive in order to need a BB. The badge goes with the person not the car and children can have them. Parking problems are relevant whether or not one drives. Good luck!
    Steven Wright
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Exactly the same here me dear, I got told I have NO SUBSTANTIAL IMPEDIMENT, WTF!, I was retired on ill health due to OA and neuropathic pain, the young girl who did me was prejudice right off the bat, what medical training have these idiots got?, she missed out half of what I told here and lied about what I said, she also didn't even look at the stuff I took to prove I was retired on ill health. I'm still angry as hell and am actually thinking of starting up a Facebook page to try and get some organised opposition, how they can act like they do beggars the mind, they use aggressive tactic to deliberately cower you into submission, so much for medical evidence and facts, I'm amazed that they can act like they do without anyone challenging them, time to organise, if you think its a good idea I start up a opposition and lobby group let me know and I will get on it. Tyranny reigns when good people do nothing, time to stand and fight, who's with me!?.
  • ScottiePam
    Well, what does it take, really??
    If walking with a rollator, in pain, puffed, stopping, staggering, doesn't do it.....
    Neverlesstheless, I am re-applying on 1st April. Nuff said. :lol:
    Meantime I'll "hag" in there.....